Default boating trip

I fished yesterday from a kayak, first time in the ocean. We launched from
Pt. Arena cove. Buddy dove for abs and then fished. He got his limit of abs
in about 25' of water, and then proceeded to out fish me. He limited with
one nice Vermillion and I got 7 decent rf. Hooked 3 lings. Landed the
undersized 22". First one rocked me. Drag locked down and he still stripped
line. 2nd about 30" let go of the swimbait about 18" under the boat. Tried
to fish today to finish out the limit, but after launching and going
offshore a ways to avoid the surf break, the offshore wind came up and blew
me too fast to fish the holes in the kelp, and decided was better to safely
get my butt back to shore. Hard paddle. Lose about 2/3 of the distance
gained every stroke until near the shore. Fun day, will do it again. But
will need to diet as the rental wetsuit was still tight. Do not fit in my
old suit. Started raining about Healdsburg on the way home.

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:05:56 -0800, Calif Bill wrote:

[...]

OK, I figured abs means abalone, and Vermillion is a Vermillion
rockfish. I'm guessing rf is also a type of rockfish, but what do
Californians call a ling. Lingcod, maybe? Around here, a ling is a
whiting, but I've also heard cobias referred to as ling.

wrote in message
[...]

Ophiodon elongatus. Bad ass fish. Minimum size 24" and 10" of that is
mouth and teeth. State record is 105#. Buddy caught a 43# one years ago.
Looked like you were looking at the opening to a garbage can in the view of
the mouth.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...&ct=image&cd=1

Is the baddest fish on the reef. The fins on the bottom are designed so
they can rest on the reef and blend in, before eating what they want. Fish
a 2# blue Rockfish as bait, and they will love to bite it. A small octopus
or big octopus jig is also good. A 40# ling will swallow a 20# ling and
then try to eat more. Friend was proud of the 20# ling he speared at a dive
club outing. When another diver came up with a 40# that spit up a 20# ling.

Boating trip report! Long. Calif Bill General 3 July 20th 07 01:36 AM
Boating trip report, not all good. Calif Bill General 3 September 30th 06 06:09 PM
Some pics from our boating trip today *JimH* General 26 September 17th 05 09:17 PM
Boating Trip William Smith General 8 June 29th 05 09:52 PM
Boating trip to New York Richard Malcolm Cruising 0 July 10th 03 08:49 PM