Default Boating trip report, not all good.

Went up to a favorite lake next to Yosemite for a couple of days. Coming
back, stopping in Sonora (End of the Emigrant Gap trail) Checking the
trailer before heading into dinner, notice that one hub seems very hot and
then the other side of the trailer on the braking axel there is no Bearing
Buddy or bearing remaining. Too late to fix that evening as the local Auto
Zone can not tell me what bearings a boat trailer takes. And the kits they
have are all for small 1" axel trailers. So into dinner at Perko's cafe in
Sonora, CA Nice senior steak dinner for $10. The young waitress after
taking our orders and delivering them is talking to the couple at the table
next to us. She tells about her husband a 50% time UPS driver and she is a
waitress in a low end cafe. They have bought a $1000 dog, that pees in the
rented house and drools and is going to weigh 135#. Also, the lady has a
set of the biggest lungs in mankind, as she could talk for at least 20
minutes without pausing for breath. And she says until they have kids, she
is going to keep buying dogs as she loves them. Hope she does not
propagate. Luckily, I am in the parking lot of a major hardware store, so
can buy a 10 mm Allen to remove the brake caliper, and a chisel to remove
the remains of the inner race. Call EZLoader trailer and they give me the
numbers for the bearings and seal. Local NAPA auto parts store has them,
and I install. Earlier, I had walked over to an Auto Zone in the Wal-mart
shopping center and they were clueless. In Wally World, to buy a grease gun
and grease, I borrow a phone book from the service desk. While using the
book to track down the bearings, I overhear the clerk. Mankind is doomed!
She says she has altered her behavior (do not know what is was) since her
children were taken away a couple of months ago. She and her husband argue
all the time, but this is the dooming part. Marriage is a commitment, so
they will stay together even with the arguments. Ought to be a license
required to have children! This is the 2nd failure of bearings on the
trailer, and have decided it is the grease. Only had the failures since I
converted to disk brakes, and the first failure cost an axel. The lake is
at 4500' elevation with lots of up and downs to get there. Will go to high
temperature, sythetic grease after this. As to the lake and boating, was
great. for awhile yesterday, we were the only boat on the lake. about 5
miles by 1 mile lake. In the morning, was greasy smooth. Caught and
released a few trout off the shore with the fly rod, and a few while
trolling Needlefish. Did not catch any while fly fishing from the boat.

"James" wrote in message
ink.net...
Not to start a flame war but how are you packing the bearings before you
install them?

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

I have a bearing backing tool, that I have used for almost 45 years. And
then I also make sure that I rub some grease in. The problems have only
started since I converted to disk brakes. Except for the bearings, I love
the disks. Lubrimatic makes a marine disk brake grease now. 550 degree
drop point. Going to look for some today on the way to the high school
reunion.