posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Default Southbound Swan 44 lost off the New Jersey coast along with owner/skipper

One lost, two rescued, USCG Rescue Swimmer injured.

The boat, Freefall, was owned until recently by well known Long
Island Sound racing sailor, Bill McFaul, whom I raced with and raced
against any number of times. Apparently the new owner was taking the
boat south this week in some pretty gnarly conditions. The boat was
well built as you might expect for a Swan 44, and always well
maintained and equipped when I sailed on it.

https://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/651/236966/

Reading the USCG account of conditions, you have to wonder what the
heck they were thinking of going out there. Tragic. At least they
had a working EPIRB, properly registered.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Tim Tim is offline

On Oct 30, 3:18*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
One lost, two rescued, USCG Rescue Swimmer injured.

The boat, Freefall, *was owned until recently by well known Long
Island Sound racing sailor, Bill McFaul, whom I raced with and raced
against any number of times. *Apparently the new owner was taking the
boat south this week in some pretty gnarly conditions. *The boat was
well built as you might expect for a Swan 44, and always well
maintained and equipped when I sailed on it.

https://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/651/236966/

Reading the USCG account of conditions, you have to wonder what the
heck they were thinking of going out there. * Tragic. *At least they
had a working EPIRB, properly registered.

Swan Song for the Swan 44.

Sorry to hear of the loss. But it seems like it wasn't a good day for
an outing.

Sill a bad deal.

"Wayne.B" wrote:

Apparently the new owner was taking the
boat south this week in some pretty gnarly conditions.

Some people refuse to understand the basics:

"Don't F**K with Mother Nature".

You will always lose.

Lew

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Wayne.B wrote in
news
Reading the USCG account of conditions, you have to wonder what the
heck they were thinking of going out there. Tragic. At least they
had a working EPIRB, properly registered.

Wow...50' seas! Too bad the attempted rescue killed that one guy.

You're right....What WERE they thinking?

Did someone HAVE to be SOMEWHERE by a certain time/date?

I bet the answer to that question had something to do with it....

Wayne.B wrote:

One lost, two rescued, USCG Rescue Swimmer injured.

The boat, Freefall, was owned until recently by well known Long
Island Sound racing sailor, Bill McFaul, whom I raced with and raced
against any number of times. Apparently the new owner was taking the
boat south this week in some pretty gnarly conditions. The boat was
well built as you might expect for a Swan 44, and always well
maintained and equipped when I sailed on it.

https://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/651/236966/

Reading the USCG account of conditions, you have to wonder what the
heck they were thinking of going out there. Tragic. At least they
had a working EPIRB, properly registered.

40-50 kt winds with 40-50 foot seas sounds wrong. 50 foot seas and the
CG managed a rescue even from the sea? Also I didn't see any info on the
boat's condition. Maybe the folks wanted a ride off rather than the boat
being swamped or in actual danger of sinking.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

"slide" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:

snipped some
40-50 kt winds with 40-50 foot seas sounds wrong. 50 foot seas and the CG
managed a rescue even from the sea? Also I didn't see any info on the
boat's condition. Maybe the folks wanted a ride off rather than the boat
being swamped or in actual danger of sinking.

You don't get fifty foot seas with 40-50 knot winds. NEVER! It takes a
hurricane for that. It takes lots of fetch and 12 hours or so of hurricane
winds.

http://www.marinewaypoints.com/marine/wind.shtml

Everybody always exaggerates the height of large seas by a factor of two or
more.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"slide" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:

snipped some
40-50 kt winds with 40-50 foot seas sounds wrong. 50 foot seas and the CG
managed a rescue even from the sea? Also I didn't see any info on the
boat's condition. Maybe the folks wanted a ride off rather than the boat
being swamped or in actual danger of sinking.

You don't get fifty foot seas with 40-50 knot winds. NEVER! It takes a
hurricane for that. It takes lots of fetch and 12 hours or so of hurricane
winds.

http://www.marinewaypoints.com/marine/wind.shtml

Everybody always exaggerates the height of large seas by a factor of two or
more.

Also I doubt the CG could perform a rescue with 50' waves if such were
there. Sounds like some guys lost nerve because the article implies the
boat was floating than swamped. Too bad one guy died and a nice boat lost.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
You You is offline

In article , slide
wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"slide" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:

snipped some
40-50 kt winds with 40-50 foot seas sounds wrong. 50 foot seas and the CG
managed a rescue even from the sea? Also I didn't see any info on the
boat's condition. Maybe the folks wanted a ride off rather than the boat
being swamped or in actual danger of sinking.

You don't get fifty foot seas with 40-50 knot winds. NEVER! It takes a
hurricane for that. It takes lots of fetch and 12 hours or so of hurricane
winds.

http://www.marinewaypoints.com/marine/wind.shtml

Everybody always exaggerates the height of large seas by a factor of two or
more.

Also I doubt the CG could perform a rescue with 50' waves if such were
there. Sounds like some guys lost nerve because the article implies the
boat was floating than swamped. Too bad one guy died and a nice boat lost.

The USCG have DONE rescues, in 50Ft Seas, up here in the Bering Sea.....
They do it with JayHawk Choppers and very long Rescue Winch lines.

The Chopper Pilots flying out of Air Station Kodiak, are the best in
the World, at SEA Rescue from Choppers.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

What about the effect of the Gulfstream possibly affecting the size of the
seas?

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

"slide" wrote in message

snipped some

Richard wrote:
What about the effect of the Gulfstream possibly affecting the size of the
seas?

If the gulf stream accelerated to 25 kts - possible.