Tamaroak

Default New Jersey Coast

Next month I'm bringing a trawler with a 4' draft up the coast of New
Jersey. I've read some information stating that most avoid the ICW and
run the outside. I'm wondering what the best way to go and why people do
this, the draft, bad scenery, hassles with the markings?

How about that section betweewn Little Egg Inlet and Manasquan Inlet;
that looks pretty easy....

And what would be some good anchorages or marinas along there?

Thanks

Capt. Jeff
Rosalie B.

Tamaroak wrote:

Next month I'm bringing a trawler with a 4' draft up the coast of New
Jersey. I've read some information stating that most avoid the ICW and
run the outside. I'm wondering what the best way to go and why people do
this, the draft, bad scenery, hassles with the markings?

How about that section betweewn Little Egg Inlet and Manasquan Inlet;
that looks pretty easy....

And what would be some good anchorages or marinas along there?

Thanks

Capt. Jeff

My understanding - based on zero personal experience - is that the New
Jersey ICW is not maintained with regard to depth OR markings and that
there are some low level fixed bridges. It looks like there's one on
that stretch that's 35 feet. Also if the bascule bridges don't open
much they may require 24 hours notice or maybe they don't open at all
anymore.

grandma Rosalie
John K Kudera

There are shallow spots on the ICW between Atlantic City and Manasquan, but
there should be few problems for your trawler, it is (or was) well marked
and in summer heavily used by power boats, a low bridge at route 37 is less
than 50 feet, there was construction in the canal also, check out the notice
to mariners about that. Otherwise, stay in the channel, will be a good trip.
best of luck.
"Tamaroak" wrote in message
Next month I'm bringing a trawler with a 4' draft up the coast of New
Jersey. I've read some information stating that most avoid the ICW and run
the outside. I'm wondering what the best way to go and why people do this,
the draft, bad scenery, hassles with the markings?

How about that section betweewn Little Egg Inlet and Manasquan Inlet; that
looks pretty easy....

And what would be some good anchorages or marinas along there?

Thanks

Capt. Jeff

Armond Perretta

Tamaroak wrote:
Next month I'm bringing a trawler with a 4' draft up the coast of
New Jersey. I've read some information stating that most avoid the
ICW and run the outside. I'm wondering what the best way to go and
why people do this, the draft, bad scenery, hassles with the
markings?
How about that section betweewn Little Egg Inlet and Manasquan
Inlet; that looks pretty easy....

And what would be some good anchorages or marinas along there?

Of course you must run outside from Cape May to Atlantic City (about 38 NM).
I don't think the inside will carry 4 feet all the way, and there is at
least one 25 foot bridge. I am not sure what the other writers are
referring to, but there are no bridge obstructions under 55 feet between
Atlantic City and Manasquan Inlet. Also the bridges that _do_ open are
year-round.

You can anchor just off the USCG station in Cape May Harbor (Cold Spring
Inlet), and ditto just off the USCG station at Atlantic City (Absecon
Inlet). Then it's about 45 or so NM to Tom's River inside, or about 60 NM
to Manasquan outside. The depth inside will usually be OK for 4 feet, but
watch the stretch around Money Island near Little Egg Inlet, and along the
marked channel north and south of the Long Beach Island causeway. You can
get fuel at Cape May, Atlantic City, Toms River, and Manasquan.

You can anchor off Tices Shoal, which is above Barnegat Inlet and marked on
the chart. You can also anchor in many spots on the Toms River. The chart
makes this clear.

Then it's about 15 or so NM to Manasquan Inlet via the Point Pleasant Canal.
You can anchor off Bay Head YC just before the canal in around 6 feet.
After that it's outside again to Sandy Hook and beyond.

Remember that in the spring there are often misplaced markers and missing
buoys on this route. Things don't really settle down until about June 1st.
I don't know what the other writers said exactly, but many folks consider
the inside route nice enough, especially through the Brigantine Wildlife
Refuge. Keep the binoculars handy for wildlife.

This is (or was) our home grounds so e-mail if you need additional info.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Kiss my legs please! Joe ASA 0 February 22nd 05 05:16 PM
Coast Guard Nonsense Doug Kanter General 33 September 19th 04 08:26 PM
Coast Guard: U.S. Vulnerable to Cole-Style Attacks privacy.at Anonymous Remailer ASA 2 July 10th 04 01:47 AM
Anyone using Sponsons? Tim Ingram General 12 February 28th 04 11:11 PM
Anyone using Sponsons? Brian Nystrom Touring 13 February 28th 04 11:11 PM