posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Tim Tim is offline

Default Southbound Swan 44 lost off the New Jersey coast along withowner/skipper

On Oct 30, 3:18*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
One lost, two rescued, USCG Rescue Swimmer injured.

The boat, Freefall, *was owned until recently by well known Long
Island Sound racing sailor, Bill McFaul, whom I raced with and raced
against any number of times. *Apparently the new owner was taking the
boat south this week in some pretty gnarly conditions. *The boat was
well built as you might expect for a Swan 44, and always well
maintained and equipped when I sailed on it.

https://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/651/236966/

Reading the USCG account of conditions, you have to wonder what the
heck they were thinking of going out there. * Tragic. *At least they
had a working EPIRB, properly registered.

Swan Song for the Swan 44.

Sorry to hear of the loss. But it seems like it wasn't a good day for
an outing.

Sill a bad deal.