posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
You You is offline

Default Southbound Swan 44 lost off the New Jersey coast along with owner/skipper

In article , slide
wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"slide" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:

snipped some
40-50 kt winds with 40-50 foot seas sounds wrong. 50 foot seas and the CG
managed a rescue even from the sea? Also I didn't see any info on the
boat's condition. Maybe the folks wanted a ride off rather than the boat
being swamped or in actual danger of sinking.

You don't get fifty foot seas with 40-50 knot winds. NEVER! It takes a
hurricane for that. It takes lots of fetch and 12 hours or so of hurricane
winds.

http://www.marinewaypoints.com/marine/wind.shtml

Everybody always exaggerates the height of large seas by a factor of two or
more.

Also I doubt the CG could perform a rescue with 50' waves if such were
there. Sounds like some guys lost nerve because the article implies the
boat was floating than swamped. Too bad one guy died and a nice boat lost.

The USCG have DONE rescues, in 50Ft Seas, up here in the Bering Sea.....
They do it with JayHawk Choppers and very long Rescue Winch lines.

The Chopper Pilots flying out of Air Station Kodiak, are the best in
the World, at SEA Rescue from Choppers.