Default What holds the choke closed ?

On a Weber 9665s. BiMettallic Choke ( no electric ), Diaphragm Pulloff.
My choke stays open and won't close. What closes the choke on a cold start ?

On Sep 17, 2:58*pm, "Dan Crouthamel" wrote:
On a Weber 9665s. BiMettallic Choke ( no electric ), Diaphragm Pulloff.
My choke stays open and won't close. What closes the choke on a cold start ?

Should be a round adjustable pot on one side that contains a round
spring. When cold the contracted spring should hold the choke closed.

"Dan Crouthamel" wrote in message
On a Weber 9665s. BiMettallic Choke ( no electric ), Diaphragm Pulloff.
My choke stays open and won't close. What closes the choke on a cold start
?

The bimettalic spring closes the choke. Spring could be broke, or the choke
binding, or the spring could slip. Loosen the 3 screws holding the choke
spring and you can adjust the choke closing.

Dan Crouthamel wrote:
On a Weber 9665s. BiMettallic Choke ( no electric ), Diaphragm Pulloff.
My choke stays open and won't close. What closes the choke on a cold start ?

If it starts ok, don't mess with it. The choke is typically heated
either electrically or by manifold heat. The heat moves the bymetal
spring. In warm weather ambient temperature might be enough to keep the
choke open even when the engine is cold. When the weather gets cooler
and only if you start experiencing hard starts, you might want to adjust
the choke slightly towards closed and see how it starts. Too much choke
and too much throttle pumping will flood the engine.

It starts perfectly if I manually set the choke. It will then back off the
choke as the engine warms up.
I think the choke may need cleaning or adjustment.

Without setting the choke I have to give it a few pumps then crank at near
full throttle and then quickly back off to about 2k RPM to let it warm up
and the finally back to idle. It works but I like things to work right.

"Dan Crouthamel" wrote in message
On a Weber 9665s. BiMettallic Choke ( no electric ), Diaphragm Pulloff.
My choke stays open and won't close. What closes the choke on a cold start
?

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 19:49:31 GMT, "Dan Crouthamel"
wrote:

It starts perfectly if I manually set the choke. It will then back off the
choke as the engine warms up.
I think the choke may need cleaning or adjustment.

Without setting the choke I have to give it a few pumps then crank at near
full throttle and then quickly back off to about 2k RPM to let it warm up
and the finally back to idle. It works but I like things to work right.

"Dan Crouthamel" wrote in message
On a Weber 9665s. BiMettallic Choke ( no electric ), Diaphragm Pulloff.
My choke stays open and won't close. What closes the choke on a cold start
?

Used to adjust mine every fall when the weather got cool.
The spring loses some of its tension as it ages.
When the engine and outside air are cool, loosen the cover, and turn
the spring until the choke is just closed. Retighten the cover.

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like the old, Ford style choke. Black plastic cap held by a collar
that you loosened to adjust by turning. the cap.
Used to do the same thing with the older Fords I had. Summer position and
winter position.

Eisboch

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:51:43 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Sounds like the old, Ford style choke. Black plastic cap held by a collar
that you loosened to adjust by turning. the cap.
Used to do the same thing with the older Fords I had. Summer position and
winter position.

These were GM's. Every Ford I owned had a manual choke. Every Ford
was one, a '66 F100 with a 352.
Never had an electric heated choke either, they all had a manifold
tube.

--Vic