Default 1983 Evinrude 115 choke help

Can anyone help! Everytime I go to choke the engine before starting I
blow the inline fuse that comes off the selanoid in my outboard. The
fuse is an AGA 20 360v. Is that the right fuse? Or do I have another
problem. Any info would be helpfull.

The voltage is a bit high. Should be a 32V fuse.
I would think 20A is plenty to pull in the choke solenoid. Which makes
me think you have a shorted winding inside the solenoid or in the
wiring going to it.

Billgran

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone help! Everytime I go to choke the engine before starting I
blow the inline fuse that comes off the selanoid in my outboard. The
fuse is an AGA 20 360v. Is that the right fuse? Or do I have another
problem. Any info would be helpfull.

Unplug the primer solenoid ("choke") and with a new fuse turn the key to ON
and the push it in as if you were going to "choke" the motor. If the fuse
does not blow, you have a bad primer solenoid. If it still blows, then there
is a short somewhere in the keyswitch, wiring, or connectors.

To help isolate the problem if the fuse still blows, disconnect the
purple/white wire at the " C " terminal of the keyswitch and retry. If it
doesn't blow, then the problem is in the wiring from the keyswitch to the
"choke".

Bill Grannis
service manager

Billgran wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone help! Everytime I go to choke the engine before starting I
blow the inline fuse that comes off the selanoid in my outboard. The
fuse is an AGA 20 360v. Is that the right fuse? Or do I have another
problem. Any info would be helpfull.

Unplug the primer solenoid ("choke") and with a new fuse turn the key to ON
and the push it in as if you were going to "choke" the motor. If the fuse
does not blow, you have a bad primer solenoid. If it still blows, then there
is a short somewhere in the keyswitch, wiring, or connectors.

To help isolate the problem if the fuse still blows, disconnect the
purple/white wire at the " C " terminal of the keyswitch and retry. If it
doesn't blow, then the problem is in the wiring from the keyswitch to the
"choke".

Bill Grannis
service manager

Thanks Bill and others for the info-

Only had a few mins. to look at it tonite. After a quick inspection I
found the ground was very loose on the primer solenoid. Didn't try the
choke because I didn't have the battery hooked up. Could this have
caused my problem? I also put a new ignition switch in this year and
hope I didn't cross a wire somewhere.

Bob