Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
F499

Default What are the impacts of a worn clutch dog? - 1983 Evinrude 9.9hp

I have a 1983 Evinrude 9.9. It's starting to pop out of forward gear when
getting up to cruising speed. It revs high afterwards. (clutch dog needs to
be replaced) Funny thing is, after the clutch dog scenario, the engine has
a hard time running. I have to choke continuously to get it to run. If I
let it sit a for an hour or two, it runs fine at low speed.

Does the high rev affect carburetion? Does it affect the CDI box?

I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. But, wouldn't mind getting some
information ahead of time. I know the clutch dog needs to be replaced, but
I'm not sure how to explain the ''won't run afterwards'' problem.

F499