Default New emission standards

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 11:12:32 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 10:05:52 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 08:13:45 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Final EPA specs for new emission control requirements on boats. Gasoline
engine requirements take effect on new boats in 2010.
Some diesel requirements take effect this year.

Buy now and avoid the rush.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/marinesi.htm

Eisboch

I wonder how this compares to the emission standards they already have
for four strokes. I know my 4 stroke seems a lot cleaner than the
classic 2 strokes if the smell and lack of smoke is any indication.

I think you are going to see catalytic converters to meet the new emission
standards. Even small lawn mower engines will have them.

Eisboch

I read an article in a fairly reputable magazine (Scientific
American?) that said emission controls may actually contribute to
global warming. The smog we used to have reflects heat back into
space.

So now instead of dying by chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, we'll
drown..****, I'm going to start smoking again, or learn to walk on water.

wrote in message
On Sep 9, 11:05 am, wrote:
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 10:05:52 -0400, Eisboch wrote:
I think you are going to see catalytic converters to meet the new
emission standards. Even small lawn mower engines will have them.

Eisboch

Might be a fire hazard on lawn mowers. Those catalytic converters are
quite hot.

I seen a house burned to the ground because they were having a family
reunion and parked in the grass. One parked in the deep grass and
caught it on fire.

The first Cat's ran really hot, and started a lot of fires. They found out
that they worked just as well running a lot less temperature. The newer
ones run a lot cooler.

wrote in message
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 14:05:52 -0400, John H wrote:

I read an article in a fairly reputable magazine (Scientific
American?) that said emission controls may actually contribute to
global warming. The smog we used to have reflects heat back into
space.

So now instead of dying by chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, we'll
drown..****, I'm going to start smoking again, or learn to walk on water.

Why would we drown? Don't we all have boats?

We might be subjected to a Waterworld. Death by bad movie.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 13:34:30 -0400, wrote:

In Connecticut, the highways and parkways have lots of hills, so it
takes quite a bit more than 30 hp to maintain speed!

Oh yes, I well remember our days of zooming up and down the hills of
the Merit Parkway with a fully loaded, 40 hp, diesel Rabbit. You had
to drive it like a heavy truck, gaining enough momentum downhill to
carry you up the next one, foot to the floor most of the time.

I tend to agree with the conclusion that hybrids are not cost
effective for highway driving even if you can get an acceleration
boost when you need it. You are toting around the weight and cost of
the technology but only using it for short periods.

I am confirming something that I guess I always knew in theory, but rarely
applied in practice.
The goofy toy my son and I bought together .... the Caddy Limo .... has the
32 or 34 valve V8 engine.
I don't know much about the Caddy engines, so I don't know it's displacement
or horsepower.

However, because it's a Limo, you tend to drive it very conservatively. No
fast starts ... mainly because it can't .... and nice, easy acceleration and
deceleration for a comfortable ride for whoever the passengers may be.

After a week or so of driving a mix of around town and highway miles (65-70
mph) I was amazed to find that it gets around 17 mpg overall. That's
better than my little 6 cylinder Ford Ranger.

I suspect the halfway decent mileage (for a big vehicle) is due to the
conservative driving style more than engine design.

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

There you go. Cut the top off and make a long bed pickup out of it.

CAFE standards for boats [email protected] General 42 August 30th 08 02:32 PM
Standards Wilbur Hubbard Cruising 21 April 4th 07 02:53 AM
Standards Wilbur Hubbard ASA 21 April 4th 07 02:53 AM
STANDARDS DeadEye Dave ASA 0 April 28th 04 04:16 PM