Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default New emission standards

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 13:34:30 -0400, wrote:

In Connecticut, the highways and parkways have lots of hills, so it
takes quite a bit more than 30 hp to maintain speed!

Oh yes, I well remember our days of zooming up and down the hills of
the Merit Parkway with a fully loaded, 40 hp, diesel Rabbit. You had
to drive it like a heavy truck, gaining enough momentum downhill to
carry you up the next one, foot to the floor most of the time.

I tend to agree with the conclusion that hybrids are not cost
effective for highway driving even if you can get an acceleration
boost when you need it. You are toting around the weight and cost of
the technology but only using it for short periods.