posted to sci.military.naval,rec.boats

Default Constitutional crisis

On Sep 7, 10:22 pm, hk wrote:
wrote:
Assume the following situation:

McCain wins the electoral votes but Obama wins the popular vote. Late
in December, Say Dec. 28, something happens to McCain so he is not
able to take office. Who would become president? The constitution is
not clear on this, would it be Palin? Would the Dems insist on a new
election? If the decision went beyond the inaugural date, who would b
president in the interim? Would it be House majority leader?

Now, I get partisan. Assume Bush says he thinks Palin is the new pres
and says he will hand over to her refusing to give Pelosi any way to
bcome pres even for a few days. The Dems go crazy. A blue state or
two decide they will not recognize Palin as Pres. Republicans in
these two blue states are attacked. Palin sends in the Nat
Guard..............new American Civil War. Could it really happen
this easily?

You really need to read the Constitution.

Harry, I spend 99.999% of my time reading techie stuff and have not
read the Constitution since i was 25 yrs old.

On Sep 7, 10:42 pm, wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:22 pm, hk wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Vaughn:

The one that happened in the mid 1800s resulted in some naval battles.
posted to sci.military.naval,rec.boats

On Sep 8, 12:39 am, wrote:
On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 19:42:38 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Sep 7, 10:22 pm, hk wrote:
wrote:
[...]

It's a good question but you picked the wrong date. Make that January
7 and you have an interesting scenario. Jan 6 is when the congress
actually decides who the Electoral college voted for. Up until then
the election is really still undecided.
If the "winner" was dead the congress might not ratify the vote.
That is where the constitutional crisis would start.
If it was not resolved, on Jan 20 the speaker of the house would be
the president. There was that discussion in 2000.
Now if the candidate had been declared the winner on Jan 6 and then
fails to take office I believe the 25th amendment kicks in and the VP
gets inaugurated.

If I was retired I'd have all the time I needed to re-read the
constitution and everything else I'd like to read.

posted to sci.military.naval,rec.boats
HK HK is offline

wrote:

On Sep 7, 10:22 pm, hk wrote:
wrote:
[...]

You can read it while rowing to the Bahamas.

wrote in message
On Sep 8, 12:39 am, wrote:
If I was retired I'd have all the time I needed to re-read the
constitution and everything else I'd like to read.

its online and takes ten minutes.

posted to sci.military.naval,rec.boats

On Sep 8, 10:39*am, "Raymond O'Hara"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Sep 8, 12:39 am, wrote:
If I was retired I'd have all the time I needed to re-read the
constitution and everything else I'd like to read.

*its online and takes ten minutes.

Everything he'd like to read is online and only takes ten minutes?

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 23:37:00 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"hk" wrote in message
On Sep 7, 10:22 pm, hk wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Well, it isn't a lengthy document and most of it is pretty
straightforward.

Then how come the judges seem to have so many conflicting opinions regarding
what the Constitution says?

[Note: this reply is not cross posted.]

It's like religion. Some folks believe in a strict, word by word
interpretation of the bible, some use it as a guide while making their own
rules.

Conservatives like to stick with what the constitution actually says,
liberals like to make their own laws picking and choosing the
'constitutional' words they will use.