Default Trim correction??

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 12:29:29 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 19:15:28 -0400, "Earl of Warwich, Duke of
Cornwall, Marquies of Anglesea, Sir Reginald P. Smithers III Esq. LLC,
STP. " wrote:

Don White wrote:
Have I got the trim correct on my open aluminum boat?
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=nhmN5u...eature=related

I wonder if it is safe to boat without being able to see in front of
you?

It does conflict with the responsibility to keep a proper lookout. I
looked at some pix of the Emma Mxxxxx the worlds largest boxboat.
Two hundred fifty feet from the water to the deck. Hide another ship,
not just a boat, under those bows.

Ok, I'll plead ignorance.

What is a box boat? I'm familiar with the J series "box" boat (I
think they call them cracker box) racers, but I have no clue what a
box boat is.

Especially one that is 250 feet high from water line to deck. :)

.. .

STP. " wrote:

Don White wrote:
Have I got the trim correct on my open aluminum boat?
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=nhmN5u...eature=related

I wonder if it is safe to boat without being able to see in front of
you?

It does conflict with the responsibility to keep a proper lookout. I
looked at some pix of the Emma Mxxxxx the worlds largest boxboat.
Two hundred fifty feet from the water to the deck. Hide another ship,
not just a boat, under those bows.

Ok, I'll plead ignorance.

What is a box boat? I'm familiar with the J series "box" boat (I
think they call them cracker box) racers, but I have no clue what a
box boat is.

Especially one that is 250 feet high from water line to deck. :)

Container ship?

250 feet high?

That doesn't sound like much, but trust me - that's high.

. ..

STP. " wrote:

Don White wrote:
Have I got the trim correct on my open aluminum boat?
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=nhmN5u...eature=related

I wonder if it is safe to boat without being able to see in front of
you?

It does conflict with the responsibility to keep a proper lookout. I
looked at some pix of the Emma Mxxxxx the worlds largest boxboat.
Two hundred fifty feet from the water to the deck. Hide another ship,
not just a boat, under those bows.

Ok, I'll plead ignorance.

What is a box boat? I'm familiar with the J series "box" boat (I
think they call them cracker box) racers, but I have no clue what a
box boat is.

Especially one that is 250 feet high from water line to deck. :)

Container ship?

250 feet high?

That doesn't sound like much, but trust me - that's high.

Here's one 207 feet. Not sure if that's from the bottom on the keel or the
waterline. Probably from the keel.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/archiv...hp/t-8762.html

STP. " wrote:

Don White wrote:
Have I got the trim correct on my open aluminum boat?
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=nhmN5u...eature=related

I wonder if it is safe to boat without being able to see in front of
you?

It does conflict with the responsibility to keep a proper lookout. I
looked at some pix of the Emma Mxxxxx the worlds largest boxboat.
Two hundred fifty feet from the water to the deck. Hide another ship,
not just a boat, under those bows.

Ok, I'll plead ignorance.

What is a box boat? I'm familiar with the J series "box" boat (I
think they call them cracker box) racers, but I have no clue what a
box boat is.

Especially one that is 250 feet high from water line to deck. :)

Container ship?

250 feet high?

That doesn't sound like much, but trust me - that's high.

The vehicle carrier boats sure are boxy..
scroll down to 'vehicle carriers' to see recent visitors to Halifax
http://www.chesterahoy.com/SHIPS/np.htm

.. .

STP. " wrote:

Don White wrote:
[...]

Depth is deck-to-keel which in this case is 30 metres or 98 ft
according to the specs. There are 8 stories to the super structure
including the bridge which, if normal corridor height is followed is
just shy of 60 feet which make it in total, 162 feet in height.

That's a little short of 250 feet or 207 feet for that matter.

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 12:25:25 -0400, "D.Duck" wrote:

. ..

m...

STP. " wrote:

Don White wrote:
[...]

Where does the 207 foot spec come from?

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 15:42:19 -0400, "D.Duck" wrote:

.. .
On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 12:25:25 -0400, "D.Duck" wrote:

om...

STP. " wrote:

Don White wrote:
[...]

The Emma Maersk is over 1300 feet long and displaces 170 000 tons.
Draft is 30 M. I can't find the web site that had the height water to
deck. I am not sure what they mean by depth at some of these websites.
Draft is waterline to keel, The depth of the hole in the water it
makes. The waterline to deck dimension is commonly called freeboard.
For completeness there is maximum height, the lowest bridge it can get
under. Sometimes they call that airdraft. From the waterline, not the
keel.

My boat is 22 foot and if it was in proportion to a ship 1300 by 250,
would have a freeboard of somewhat over 4 feet, and that is in the
ball park. I saw a picture, and the 250 figure didn't trip the BS
detector. What perhaps should have, is how do you unload it? Of
course, if it only uses two ports that's only 4 or 6 cranes that would
have to have that high.

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 18:14:10 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

Depth is deck-to-keel which in this case is 30 metres or 98 ft
according to the specs. There are 8 stories to the super structure
including the bridge which, if normal corridor height is followed is
just shy of 60 feet which make it in total, 162 feet in height.

That's a little short of 250 feet or 207 feet for that matter.

Yes, it is.
I seem to have misremembered the figure, and I have no idea where it
came from. If you scaled my runabout up to 1300 feet, it would have
250 feet of freeboard, which signifies nothing, of course.

Casady

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 14:02:56 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

The vehicle carrier boats sure are boxy..
scroll down to 'vehicle carriers' to see recent visitors to Halifax
http://www.chesterahoy.com/SHIPS/np.htm

Box boats carry boxes naturally, although officially they are called
containers. The ships are also boxes, of course, which figures. Those
auto carriers have even more decks than passenger ships.

Casady

Ballast Correction Joe ASA 2 October 16th 06 12:43 PM
SIGNATURE; correction of correction Thom Stewart ASA 8 March 30th 06 07:11 PM
Error correction - Sailing to Toronto Al General 0 September 5th 04 07:27 PM
( OT ) CORRECTION win 2 books Jim General 0 March 26th 04 05:14 PM
correction was first clinker rowing shell in 30 years... Al Boat Building 0 August 2nd 03 08:36 PM