Default Political lawn ornament

Since you guys are so politically-minded, I thought you might want to
hear about an old lawn ornament of mine. I think it's a perfect metaphor
for the current state of politics in the US.

The ornament is a bird, with wings that are supposed to twirl in the
wind. The left wing is in the best shape, because it's been sheltered
from the brunt of the weather. It twirls this way and that, reacting to
the smallest breeze. The right wing is quite a bit more beat up, and
it's been patched with duct tape, but it still works. It takes more wind
to make it turn, but when it does it always turns in the opposite
direction of the left wing.

The thing I notice most, though, is that no matter how slowly or
furiously those wings do their twirling, the bird never goes anywhere.

TJ

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:39:38 -0400, TJ wrote:

Since you guys are so politically-minded, I thought you might want to
hear about an old lawn ornament of mine. I think it's a perfect metaphor
for the current state of politics in the US.

The ornament is a bird, with wings that are supposed to twirl in the
wind. The left wing is in the best shape, because it's been sheltered
from the brunt of the weather. It twirls this way and that, reacting to
the smallest breeze. The right wing is quite a bit more beat up, and
it's been patched with duct tape, but it still works. It takes more wind
to make it turn, but when it does it always turns in the opposite
direction of the left wing.

The thing I notice most, though, is that no matter how slowly or
furiously those wings do their twirling, the bird never goes anywhere.

TJ

Sounds like it's a good metaphor, all right. Just don't start calling one
wing or the other nasty names!
--
** Good Day! **

John H

John H. wrote:
[...]

Not the way I operate. I find all this political bickering ridiculous.
Right wing, left wing, you need both, working together, if you are to
fly high and straight. Otherwise, if you fly at all it's just in
circles. Carrying the bird analogy a bit further, you also need a brain
controlling things that can make both sides work and cooperate. That's
what's sorely missing in US politics. Evolution or Creation, take your
pick of how it got there, if you ask me, there's a reason why the brain
is in the middle of the bird!

TJ
HK HK is offline

TJ wrote:
Since you guys are so politically-minded, I thought you might want to
hear about an old lawn ornament of mine. I think it's a perfect metaphor
for the current state of politics in the US.

The ornament is a bird, with wings that are supposed to twirl in the
wind. The left wing is in the best shape, because it's been sheltered
from the brunt of the weather. It twirls this way and that, reacting to
the smallest breeze. The right wing is quite a bit more beat up, and
it's been patched with duct tape, but it still works. It takes more wind
to make it turn, but when it does it always turns in the opposite
direction of the left wing.

The thing I notice most, though, is that no matter how slowly or
furiously those wings do their twirling, the bird never goes anywhere.

TJ

You've got it a little wrong. The right wing is so badly busted, it can
only spin backwards. The left wing is trying to spin forward, but first
it has to shake off all the bad karma of the right. Perhaps in January,
with a Democratic president and larger Democratic majorities in
Congress, this country can try to find the road back to Progress.

--
Join the growing number of Republicans putting country ahead of party by
voting for Barack Obama!

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 08:34:06 -0400, TJ wrote:

John H. wrote:
[...]

Good way to operate. Fighting and name-calling accomplishes only more
fighting and name-calling.
--
** Good Day! **

John H

Tim Tim is offline

On Aug 13, 8:36*pm, TJ wrote:

just like with politicians. And for the record, no matter how much the
wings turned today, the bird went nowhere. Just like the country.

TJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUSULNSIn3Y

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:36:21 -0400, TJ wrote:

hk wrote:
TJ wrote:
[...]

Not exactly. Today, for example, the right wing didn't turn much, as we
had a gentle breeze rather than a wind. Using the body of the bird as a
reference, when the right wing did turn it was in a forward direction.
The left wing, however, spent the whole day backpedaling.

Tomorrow could be different. It all depends on which way the wind blows,
just like with politicians. And for the record, no matter how much the
wings turned today, the bird went nowhere. Just like the country.

TJ

Well, you can't expect the bird to go places when the body took a five week
vacation because 'all is well' in the country.
--
** Good Day! **

John H