TJ[_3_] TJ[_3_] is offline

Default Political lawn ornament

John H. wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:39:38 -0400, TJ wrote:

Since you guys are so politically-minded, I thought you might want to
hear about an old lawn ornament of mine. I think it's a perfect metaphor
for the current state of politics in the US.

The ornament is a bird, with wings that are supposed to twirl in the
wind. The left wing is in the best shape, because it's been sheltered
from the brunt of the weather. It twirls this way and that, reacting to
the smallest breeze. The right wing is quite a bit more beat up, and
it's been patched with duct tape, but it still works. It takes more wind
to make it turn, but when it does it always turns in the opposite
direction of the left wing.

The thing I notice most, though, is that no matter how slowly or
furiously those wings do their twirling, the bird never goes anywhere.

TJ

Sounds like it's a good metaphor, all right. Just don't start calling one
wing or the other nasty names!

Not the way I operate. I find all this political bickering ridiculous.
Right wing, left wing, you need both, working together, if you are to
fly high and straight. Otherwise, if you fly at all it's just in
circles. Carrying the bird analogy a bit further, you also need a brain
controlling things that can make both sides work and cooperate. That's
what's sorely missing in US politics. Evolution or Creation, take your
pick of how it got there, if you ask me, there's a reason why the brain
is in the middle of the bird!

TJ