Default lawn mower outboard

i must have seen about 100 posts where someone starts off asking a
question like 'i was thinking I could save myself some money by turning
a lawn mower (or motorbike, leaf blower etc etc) engine into an
outboard. can it be done'

The discussion goes on and on... with the outcome being something like
that yes you could do it, but it would be silly, unreliable, pollutiong
and probably would save you nothing in the long run anyway.

Here's a pic of one that someone made earlier anyway, just to make the
discussion a bit more interesting next time~

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

ena

Lawn engines are air cooled - not ideal for a marine engine - and they are
quite noisy too - you will need a rig and lots of other stuff to make a
outboard out of a lawn mower engine - it can be done but would probably cost
more that buying a used Outboard

It would be cheaper to buy a used outboar at eg. e-bay.

skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
i must have seen about 100 posts where someone starts off asking a
question like 'i was thinking I could save myself some money by turning
a lawn mower (or motorbike, leaf blower etc etc) engine into an
outboard. can it be done'

The discussion goes on and on... with the outcome being something like
that yes you could do it, but it would be silly, unreliable, pollutiong
and probably would save you nothing in the long run anyway.

Here's a pic of one that someone made earlier anyway, just to make the
discussion a bit more interesting next time~

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

N.L. Eckert

i must have seen about 100 posts where someone starts off asking a
question like 'i was thinking I could save myself some money by turning
a lawn mower (or motorbike, leaf blower etc etc) engine into an
outboard. can it be done'
==================================
Sears made an outboard with an aircooled engine. I think it was built
by a company called "Eska". I wound up with a 5 HP Sears motor in a
trade for an old snowmobile. It was cranky, noisy and hard to start.
But the worst part was that it had the lawn mower sediment bulb on the
bottom that had to be adjusted each time I started it. It leaked gas so
bad that I couldn't keep it inside the boat. I had a swing up bracket
on a 30 ft. Chris and kept it out there when ever I used it. I rarely
caught any fish when I trolled with the thing, probably the noise drove
them away......

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all, Norm

FishWisher

Actually, riding lawnmower type engines are the latest rage for "mud"
boats. Here's one with a twin cyl motor very similar to riding mower
engines. There are several manufacturers of this sort of rig:
http://www.go-devil.com/27hp_KOHLER.html I used to sell commercial
mowers in my business and got a kick out of these "lawn mower" boat
drives.

Dale
www.fishwisher.com

Bill McKee

On 24 Dec 2005 07:33:04 -0800, "FishWisher"
wrote:

Actually, riding lawnmower type engines are the latest rage for "mud"
boats. Here's one with a twin cyl motor very similar to riding mower
engines. There are several manufacturers of this sort of rig:
http://www.go-devil.com/27hp_KOHLER.html I used to sell commercial
mowers in my business and got a kick out of these "lawn mower" boat
drives.

I saw these in Thailand - can't remember what they are called.

See them in the Amazon also. The newer Mud Motors are a little different.
Do not stick out so far, and enough power to actually go through thin mud.

Butch Davis

These "outboards" are very popular in the South with duck/goose hunters. I
see them often while fishing in the Mobile Bay Delta during bird season.
Most of them are mounted on aluminum skiffs. They can get right along and
often leave a distintive rooster tail behind when in a hurry. They seem to
have no problem carrying a pair of hunters with dogs, decoys, and nets.

Butch
"Paul" wrote in message
Already done
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/dis...sp?docid=76403

wrote in message
oups.com...
i must have seen about 100 posts where someone starts off asking a
question like 'i was thinking I could save myself some money by turning
a lawn mower (or motorbike, leaf blower etc etc) engine into an
outboard. can it be done'

The discussion goes on and on... with the outcome being something like
that yes you could do it, but it would be silly, unreliable, pollutiong
and probably would save you nothing in the long run anyway.

Here's a pic of one that someone made earlier anyway, just to make the
discussion a bit more interesting next time~

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Bill McKee

nk.net...

wrote:

Actually, riding lawnmower type engines are the latest rage for "mud"
boats. Here's one with a twin cyl motor very similar to riding mower
engines. There are several manufacturers of this sort of rig:
http://www.go-devil.com/27hp_KOHLER.html I used to sell commercial
mowers in my business and got a kick out of these "lawn mower" boat
drives.

I saw these in Thailand - can't remember what they are called.

See them in the Amazon also. The newer Mud Motors are a little different.
Do not stick out so far, and enough power to actually go through thin mud.

http://www.mudbuddy.com/News%20&%20P...nformation.htm

Butch Davis

They work just fine. I believe the effect is about like that of the
"surface piercing prop" drive that was all the rage several years ago. I
remember seeing some dual engine setups on cigarette types that performed
amazingly well. I think they had some manuverability issues.

Butch
wrote in message
On 23 Dec 2005 22:37:24 -0800, wrote:

i must have seen about 100 posts where someone starts off asking a
question like 'i was thinking I could save myself some money by turning
a lawn mower (or motorbike, leaf blower etc etc) engine into an
outboard. can it be done'

The discussion goes on and on... with the outcome being something like
that yes you could do it, but it would be silly, unreliable, pollutiong
and probably would save you nothing in the long run anyway.

Here's a pic of one that someone made earlier anyway, just to make the
discussion a bit more interesting next time~

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Evidently they use what you are talking about in the far east, if my
James Bond movie trivia is accurate. It is an engine coupled to a
shaft in a sleeve with a prop on the end. (no "foot")
This sticks out behind the boat on a low angle similar to an inboard.
I am not sure if the boats in the Bond flicks were just special effect
props but I saw no hardware reason why they wouldn't work.