Default What is a Controller for an Outboard Motor?

I would like to know what a controller of an outboard motor is. Is it a
part of the steering mechanism? Does it usually come with a boat? Or do
I need to buy it separately? Is it a costly item relative to the total
cost of an outboard motor?

The reason why I am asking this is that I am looking for a used
outboard motor. eBay has some outboard motors. But some of them are
missing controller. I have no idea what's the significance of missing a
controller.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

John

When you say controller, do you mean the controls for the throttle and
forward/neutral/reverse?

John

John wrote:
: When you say controller, do you mean the controls for the throttle and
: forward/neutral/reverse?

That's likely what it is.

Morse Controls makes substitute throttle/gearshifts and they may be a
possibility. I'm guessing someone ripped off the Outboard from a boat
or were too lazy to remove the control as it would be difficult to do
so. Most often the cables are obscured by boat seats and they may have not
wanted to do the work.

http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.js...0210F ,77566F (wow, what an ugly URL)

is one example. Google "morse controls" for mor sources.

b.

When you say controller, do you mean the controls for the throttle and
forward/neutral/reverse?

I don't know. That was the reason why I ask. The ad just said that the
motor is missing the controller; it didn't say what kind of controller
though. Unfortunately, I know very little about motor to know what kind
of controller the ad was referring to.

Jay Chan

They could be talking about the ignition spark box or coil pac (these are
around 450.00 US for a Merc 9.9 hp motor)

I assume a Merc 9.9hp motor is around USD $2,000. This means the
controller itself is around 1/4 of the total cost of a motor.

Sound like a motor that is missing a controller is not really a good
deal afterall.

Thanks for the info though.

Jay Chan