Gould 0738

Default Planning the cruise is a lot of fun!

Soon as we get past the October issue deadlines, we're off and gone.

Since we enjoy taking a tax deduction for a portion of our boating expenses, I
need to do some "work" while we're away. Each year before we head north on our
longest cruise of the year, we try to pick out a combination of new things to
see and do as well as include major favorites from years past. Our goal is to
come home with a winter's worth of cruising stories done up and ready to go.

This year's itinerary is looking promising. We'll be visiting a remote island
that used to house a leper colony (if it rains- don't ask), the historic site
of a religious fanatic/conman's international communal headquarters, and some
windswept little islets that we've
motored past on previous excursions north. State and provincial parks, small
towns, empty coves, resort marinas- the whole gamut. Can hardly wait.

Planning the cruise isn't as much fun as getting underway, but the anticipation
is enjoyable.

K Smith

Gould 0738 wrote:
[...]

What are the distances??

How about you also take lots of pics etc because your part of the world is probably the most scenic there is?? Certainly totally different from our backdrop. Also how about some real detail about the boat, fuel oil consumptions, things that go wrong (they always do:-)), & some stuff on the menu, any good receipies? travelling cooking tips??

Anyway at least consider some of the good stuff, I mean I'm resigned almost silently to the product reports:-) but hey if you balance it with some good stuff, why not??
Thanks in advance.

Gould 0738

Yeah, what Jim said. Can you update us along the way? I'll be shrink wrapped
and shovelling snow here so it would be great to have someone to hate with
all my heart while reading about their wonderful life ... oops, too honest
right?

Shovelin' snow in late Sept? Ugh.

Probably no enroute updates. My primitive old boat has no WIFI, sat dish, or
other fancy internet connections. I boat with a compass, an ancient Raytheon
radar, (you look through a rubber eyepiece during the daytime,) a depthfinder,
a VHF radio, and a very basic Garmin GPS. And charts. Lots of paper charts.
What a neanderthal!

One of the nicest aspects of the cruise is getting away from the computer where
I earn my living and take some recreation on a normal day.

Probably be a few experiences worth mentioning when we get back. Casting off a
week from tomorrow. Yes!! :-)

Gould 0738

What are the distances??

Not far. We're only going out for 17 days.
If you know the area here or look at a chart, you'll see that there's enough
stuff to
spend a lifetime exploring without venturing
north of Cambell River. There is no need to go very far in a single day to be
in an entirely new enviroment. We won't cover more than 400-500 nm at the most
in all 17 days.

How about you also take lots of pics etc because your part of the world
is probably the most scenic there is??

We'll average about 1 24-exposure roll of 35mm film per day, figuring that 1/3
to 1/2 of the shots will be culls. I get twice as many usable pictures as I
really need for most destination stories. No way to really share the photos
with the NG, and I don't have the time to put up or maintain a website. I can
send some photos in response to individual requests, however, provided the
requests are for modest amounts.

Certainly totally different from our backdrop. Also how about some real
detail about the boat, fuel oil consumptions, things that go wrong (they
always do:-)), & some stuff on the menu, any good receipies? travelling
cooking tips??

My wonderful wife is many things. She got
extra "look" (IMO) and a little less "cook" than most. If I mention food, it's
usually in conjunction with a decent restaurant.

Anyway at least consider some of the good stuff, I mean I'm resigned

almost silently to the product reports:-) but hey if you balance it with some
good stuff, why not??
Thanks in advance.

You're welcome.

Gould 0738

In that case are you sure they're not parchment?

Don't be so quick to laugh. The proper way to store them is rolled up, like a
single spooled scroll!
Larry Kier

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Soon as we get past the October issue deadlines, we're off and gone.

This year's itinerary is looking promising. We'll be visiting a remote

island
that used to house a leper colony (if it rains- don't ask), the historic

site
of a religious fanatic/conman's international communal headquarters, and

some
windswept little islets that we've
motored past on previous excursions north. State and provincial parks,

small
towns, empty coves, resort marinas- the whole gamut. Can hardly wait.

A religious fanatic etc......must be Decourcey Island and Pirates Cove
Marine Park.
I was there in July and didn't have a good time... the trails were mosquito
infested and then the wind came up and caused the cove to turn into a
nightmare of slipping anchors, boat collisions, crossed anchor rodes... just
a bad night for the whole cove. I know it isn't always like that but it
certainly didn't work out for us.

If you haven't tried them already take a look at Wallace Island (Conover
Cove) and Newcastle Island. I think Wallace, Newcastle and Portland Island
are my favorite stops in the Gulf Islands. Enjoy your cruise and I am
looking forward to your report!

Larry

Gould 0738

A religious fanatic etc......must be Decourcey Island and Pirates Cove
Marine Park.

Indeed. Brother XII's old stomping grounds. There are rumors he buried a
fortune in gold bullion in the vicinity, but my odds of winning the lotto are
probably 100 times greater than retiring of any portion of XII's lost horde.

We'll have a lot of room in the cove the last 1/2 of September.

Wallace Island is on the list, along with a Provincial Marine Park on the NW
edge of Gabriola. We've got "Nanaimo" down for two days in case of weather, so
that makes Newcastle an easy do. We always list our itinerary in pencil, and
allow a few extra days when we can just hunker down if the weather goes
seriously snotty. Never actually *have* to be anywhere. Heck, one year we had
to leave the boat in Friday Harbor and ride the Vickie Clip back to town to get
back to work on time. (Turned out to be no big deal, Vickie Clipped back up the
following weekend and ran from Friday Harbor to Seattle in about 9 hours.)

Jim

Hey Chuck. I try to offer some interest in your trip and asked a couple of questions
about it. The post was even On Topic (boating).

You ignored my questions. Fine. Hold a grudge against me because we disagree
politically.