Default Speaking of Al Gore's house boat...

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:01:57 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

It is indeed Gore's houseboat.

That was the only point.

Although it is interesting that Bio-Solar One can be shortened to BS
One, but I would never make such a connection.

But it would be a reasonable connection since it has also been pointed
out that there is *no* locally available bio-fuel where he keeps the
house boat.

I had an interesting experience with bio-fuel today. I recently
gassed up the outboard tank for my dinghy engine with 10% ethanol. I
took it out for a spin this afternoon and the engine failed because of
a deterioated rubber squeeze bulb. Can ethanol do that? It's the
only explanation that makes sense to me. Fortunately I carry a spare
tank which was enough to get me home.

wrote:

It is indeed Gore's houseboat.

That was the only point.

Although it is interesting that Bio-Solar One can be shortened to BS
One, but I would never make such a connection.

But it would be a reasonable connection since it has also been pointed
out that there is *no* locally available bio-fuel where he keeps the
house boat.

I had an interesting experience with bio-fuel today. I recently
gassed up the outboard tank for my dinghy engine with 10% ethanol. I
took it out for a spin this afternoon and the engine failed because of
a deterioated rubber squeeze bulb. Can ethanol do that? It's the
only explanation that makes sense to me. Fortunately I carry a spare
tank which was enough to get me home.

Over time, yes assuming that it's not ethanol resistant. Instatly,
not likely.

More likely that the flapper valve in the bulb failed if it's old
enough. Had that heppen a time or two.

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 00:57:43 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

I had an interesting experience with bio-fuel today. I recently
gassed up the outboard tank for my dinghy engine with 10% ethanol. I
took it out for a spin this afternoon and the engine failed because of
a deterioated rubber squeeze bulb. Can ethanol do that? It's the
only explanation that makes sense to me. Fortunately I carry a spare
tank which was enough to get me home.

Over time, yes assuming that it's not ethanol resistant. Instatly,
not likely.

More likely that the flapper valve in the bulb failed if it's old
enough. Had that heppen a time or two.

The side of the rubber bulb actually failed in a big way, starting
with a small pin hole leak and developing into an inch long tear
within minutes.

The engine started missing at speed so I checked the tank vent and
pumped the bulb a few times. That's when I noticed the pin hole leak.
In no time at all the pin hole leak progressed into a full failure.

news
wrote:

[...]

It seems like we would be hearing of many more problems and line failures if
ethanol was the primary cause.
I am thinking of your location and the effects of exposure to strong sun on
a regular basis.

That said, the rubber fuel lines on my new, old boat need to be replaced,
even though they are only a couple of years old. They are USCG approved for
their date of manufacture, but are not the newest, ethanol approved type.

I'll replace them over winter layup.

Yeah, yeah, I know ..... "What's Winter" and "What's a Layup"? :-)

Eisboch

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 23:45:49 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

It seems like we would be hearing of many more problems and line failures if
ethanol was the primary cause.
I am thinking of your location and the effects of exposure to strong sun on
a regular basis.

Sun/UV damage is a distinct possibility, especially since the dinghy
gets a lot of it.

wrote:

It seems like we would be hearing of many more problems and line failures if
ethanol was the primary cause.
I am thinking of your location and the effects of exposure to strong sun on
a regular basis.

Sun/UV damage is a distinct possibility, especially since the dinghy
gets a lot of it.

That would do it.

I don't know how true this is, but I've heard that ethanol/UV
combination on exposed fuel tanks in small boats is fairly lethal to
the rubbers used in manufacturing the lines. I do know at my dealer
that they've gone through a bunch of fuel line this year - unusually
so according to the service manager.

Eisboch nailed it - exposure.

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 23:45:49 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"What's a Layup"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layup

wrote:

"What's a Layup"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layup

I am always amazed at just how much detailed "stuff" is on Wikipedia,
and most of it seems to be accurate. :-)

It's beginning to assume epic proportions.