Eisboch Eisboch is offline

Default Speaking of Al Gore's house boat...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 00:57:43 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

I had an interesting experience with bio-fuel today. I recently
gassed up the outboard tank for my dinghy engine with 10% ethanol. I
took it out for a spin this afternoon and the engine failed because of
a deterioated rubber squeeze bulb. Can ethanol do that? It's the
only explanation that makes sense to me. Fortunately I carry a spare
tank which was enough to get me home.

Over time, yes assuming that it's not ethanol resistant. Instatly,
not likely.

More likely that the flapper valve in the bulb failed if it's old
enough. Had that heppen a time or two.

The side of the rubber bulb actually failed in a big way, starting
with a small pin hole leak and developing into an inch long tear
within minutes.

The engine started missing at speed so I checked the tank vent and
pumped the bulb a few times. That's when I noticed the pin hole leak.
In no time at all the pin hole leak progressed into a full failure.

It seems like we would be hearing of many more problems and line failures if
ethanol was the primary cause.
I am thinking of your location and the effects of exposure to strong sun on
a regular basis.

That said, the rubber fuel lines on my new, old boat need to be replaced,
even though they are only a couple of years old. They are USCG approved for
their date of manufacture, but are not the newest, ethanol approved type.

I'll replace them over winter layup.

Yeah, yeah, I know ..... "What's Winter" and "What's a Layup"? :-)

Eisboch