Default Stamp, carve, engrave? Hull number

On Aug 6, 6:30*pm, wrote:
Well, you can probably stamp it into a hunk of metal and attach it
with permanant screws or rivits.. They just want to know that you are
not moving it from boat to boat on weekends..-

The silly thing is, I could just take that same number and put it on 2
or 3 boats, since I'm making the number myself and attaching it, and
there is no inspection of the process. Granted, I'd have to get some
extra tags each year, or move those from boat to boat... and I'm not
interested in cheating the system anyway (even if the fees are double
what they where in CA).

The motor vehicle department has a much better system... when I
registered my homemade trailer, they attached a sticker with the
number on it at the time of the inspection, before I got the
registration/title. They made me sand it down to bare metal where
they attached the sticker, and the sticker has a lot of special
printing on it and is tamper proof, so not just a sticker I could
easily recreate on a normal printer.
Senior Member

On Aug 7, 2:04*pm, wrote:
On Aug 6, 6:30*pm, wrote:

[...]

You got it.. You could put it on several boats, but here and there you
get stopped and checked for this and that.. If they see anything
supicious or check the numbers etc. Good luck whichever way you go,
just get that hull wet before the summer is over..

wrote in message
On Aug 6, 6:30 pm, wrote:
[...]

Years ago, when I did a homebuilt car carrier. The DMV here in Calif,
stamped the numbers into the frame. My boat trailer has a sticker and is
almost impossible to read anymore.

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 17:41:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I just registered my boat in AZ, and these guys are a lot stricter
than CA. In CA they just used the serial number stamped on by Sears
in the 70s as the hull number. In AZ they said that isn't a hull
number and I need to put one on my boat. It is just a 12' aluminum
jon boat.

How would one go about attaching this number? The woman said I should
use a metal punch, but I don't own one and wouldn't use it for
anything else (not that I don't buy tools on a whim most of the time).

The law in AZ states: Burned, Carved, Stamped, Embossed, Molded,
Bonded, or otherwise permantently affixed to the watercraft so that
alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious.

The boat has so many holes in it, I don't think it would be obvious
that it was removed no matter what I did... but I don't care so much
about that, just want to be legal enough that they won't hassle me
about it. O-ya, and the letters need to be at least 1/4", and the one
metal punch kit I did see was only 3/16" (I've only seen them on-line,
not in any local stores, which is another hassle).

O-well, the paper says I have 30 days to do this, so I'm still going
fishing this weekend! =]

Write it somewhere with a magic marker. If they argue, Show them the
magic marker you used, which has the word "permanent" printed on the
label.

wrote:

[...]

get a template for 1/2 inch high numbers and an electic engraving tool,
or get a shop that does engraving to make up an aluminum plaque, and
bond it on with 5200, with both surfaces freshly sanded.

wrote:

[...]

That will do it. Or .... here in MA (also has very strick regulations
regarding having a HIV number on the transom), a thin metal plate with the
HIV number stamped into it and then pop riveted to the transom is
acceptable.

The new rigid hull inflatable I just bought was done that way and was
acceptable for registration purposes.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

That will do it. Or .... here in MA (also has very strick regulations
regarding having a HIV number on the transom), a thin metal plate with the
HIV number stamped into it and then pop riveted to the transom is
acceptable.

The new rigid hull inflatable I just bought was done that way and was
acceptable for registration purposes.

Eisboch

forgot .... thin metal plate and pop rivets are obviously made of alumium.

On Aug 7, 3:25*am, wrote:

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 17:41:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I just registered my boat in AZ, and these guys are a lot stricter
than CA. *In CA they just used the serial number stamped on by Sears
in the 70s as the hull number. *In AZ they said that isn't a hull
number and I need to put one on my boat. *It is just a 12' aluminum
jon boat.

How would one go about attaching this number?

Write it somewhere with a magic marker. If they argue, Show them the
magic marker you used, which has the word "permanent" printed on the
label.

Sounds good to me, but for some reason I don't think that would fly.
I did paint the registration numbers on though, and with red paint
instead of black (boat is gray), instead of buying those decals
everyone uses... so I'm already asking for trouble =]
Senior Member

On Aug 7, 1:49*pm, wrote:
On Aug 7, 3:25*am, wrote:

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 17:41:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
I just registered my boat in AZ, and these guys are a lot stricter
than CA. *In CA they just used the serial number stamped on by Sears
in the 70s as the hull number. *In AZ they said that isn't a hull
number and I need to put one on my boat. *It is just a 12' aluminum
jon boat.

How would one go about attaching this number?

Write it somewhere with a magic marker. If they argue, Show them the
magic marker you used, which has the word "permanent" printed on the
label.

Sounds good to me, but for some reason I don't think that would fly.
I did paint the registration numbers on though, and with red paint
instead of black (boat is gray), instead of buying those decals
everyone uses... so I'm already asking for trouble =]

Please check salty's history before you listen to anything he says..
He likes to troll and is a boating poser, it's more of a social status
thing, it's a long story.. Anyway, get the chunk of metal, stamp it
in, and rivit it to the boat. I won't argue the reasoning, but they
want it attached permanantly so they can better tell if you are using
it on more than one boat.. Magic marker can be easily painted over.. A
placard leaves signs of being moved or re-used.. I won't argue the
reasoning, but that's just the way they see it, at least around here..

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:58:08 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Aug 7, 1:49*pm, wrote:
On Aug 7, 3:25*am, wrote:

[...]

WHOOSH!!!!!!

More evidence that JustFrekin is a complete moron. Eselk2 understood
me completely.