Earleybird47

Default boat hull Number and registration

several years ago I purchased a sailboat at a us Marshall sale. I recieved
documents listing a manufacturer ( one off custom) which was the builders last
name and a hull number. I registered the boat in my home state with the
numbers given. Now after several years of a major refit it is ready to launch
in the spring. My problem or should I ignor it is there is no number anwhere on
the hull. I did find however a Canadian official number name and rated tonnage
engraved in a deck beam per Canadian regulations, which was hidden by matching
color tape. Upon checking this registration number was no longer registered in
Canada. My question is what should I do? Engrave nubers on the boat to match
my court ordered bill of sale or leave as is hiding the old canadian numbers
por other options. I hate to have some puplic official in a small third world
country take issue with my ownership.
Steve

What your discribing are two different types of numbers..

The builders number is the Hull Number and is like the VIN number on your
car and will be recorded in any state registation or if your going to
document the vessel.

The numbers and displacement info that is engraved into the beams is a
Documentation Number that is issued buy a Canadian Gov. agency for
Documented vessels. (in the US, that would be the US Coast Guard.)

The issued Documentation will remain the same even if the owner or buyer
fails to renew the documentation. The documentation my be retired but the
number remains assigned to that vessel and will be used if you reapply for
documentation status.

If you aren't going to reinstate the documentation then you will have to put
some type of recreational vessel registration numbers on the boat.. You can
use one or both of the numbers you have with your local agency.. They should
understand the difference between Builders Hull NO. and the Vessel Doc. NO.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jere Lull

Earleybird47 wrote:

[...]

Just on the odd chance the builder did it right: Look at the inside
upper starboard section of the transom. There's supposed to be a HIN
glassed into the transom there. I have to climb in our cockpit locker
and shine a light aft to read it, and didn't see it until I was told it
was there.

What's on the beam was well explained by another, but you might want to
get whatever documentation from Canada that you can. Documenting the
boat with the USCG will involve similarly marking the boat with the new
documentation number, which should improve identifiability.

In any case, try to carry enough documentation to ensure you can
persuade any official that the boat is indeed yours and that you and
your crew are who they say they are. Whatever you got from the US
Marshals should go a long way.

--
Jere Lull

Jerry

I have one etched on the top of the forward chain locker.

Jerry

Jerry

I have one etched on the top of the forward chain locker.

Jerry

IamAeolus

I don't recall seeing any date indicating when the boat was actually
manufactured. It was not required for all boats to have hull identification
numbers until around the mid-1970's. If your boat was built before that, it
may not have a HIN anyplace. In your case, since you seem to have a
manufacturer's name and hull number that you already registered, why not just
keep using it????

Earleybird47

The boat was built in Port Alberti BC Canada in 1977 by a owner /builder (home
built)