Default Had a chance to trade up.

Finally decided to take the Springer Spaniel out in the boat yesterday, so I
drove down to the crappy boat launch at Graves Island on beautiful Mahone
Bay.
The dog was a bit nervous, but I put his PFD on him and in the boat he went.
As soon as we got out of the lee of the island the breeze really picked up
and the waves got bigger & bigger. Now we're slamming into and bouncing off
1.5 - 2 footers with whitecaps.
The dog didn't like this at all and kept looking like he wanted to abandon
ship. Figured I'd better turn around as I was holding onto him with one
hand while he's trying to jump up on me, and steering the tiller motor with
the other. We just raced around the more protected area for a while before
coming back and loading the boat on the trailer.
Another guy shows up with a n 17 or 18 foot CC type fiberglass boat with a
30 hp Mercury.
He asked me how it was out there ( I think he meant fishing) and I told him
about the rough water infront of his wife and another middle aged couple.
Should have kept my mouth shut (wind was now dying down a bit) as the lady
from the guest couple came over to ask me in a low voice...just how rough
was it out there.
The boat owner was eying my Princecraft and mentioned that he'd like to move
to something smaller he could easily launch by himself. I told him I was
thinking the opposite when I hit the heavier water and scared the dog.
He said he'd trade me right there... straight trade my Yuhon 15 and 25 hp
johnson for his 18' CC with the 30hp Mercury. He caught me off guard.. I
himmed & hawed a bit and said I didn't know what I'd want next..although a
flat floor and open concept sure would be nice out on the water. Trouble
is...very few of the public ramps in this area have a nice convient floating
wharf next to them for easy loading. I had to run my Yukon up on the rocky
beach and leave it there until I backed the trailer down. Don't think I'd
want to do that with a heavier fibreglass boat.
Anyway, I drove truck/trailer up to a picnic area overlooking the water to
play ctch with the dog (he earned it) and saw the two couples head
out......... they got about half way out to where the rougher water was when
they suddenly turned back and I saw them loading the CC back onto its
trailer.
I bet the ladies were nervous... no wonder the guy wanted a smaller one man
operation. Good motivated crew is hard to find.

wrote in message
[...]

You have to go back and remember why you downsized in the first
place.. You will do just fine, you just need to get out more so your
dog gets used to it. From my experience they also tend to notice if
the captain is nervous too. Once you all get more used to the boat and
how it handles, doggie will be straining at the leash to get on, and
loving the greenies (even tiny little ones) in the face..

I have found that I feel better in situations like that if I just
prepare for the worst. There have been days when me and my kids will
unload most of the gear, and tie the rest down so "when" we get
swamped, we can recover more easily So far, I have never been
swamped yet.. but if I prepare properly, it will just be a funny story
to tell at the track.

That's right. Even with the Yukon, I have to push the boat off it's bunks
due to the shallow ramps.
Same recovering...I just lift the front of the boat to get it started and
then it's winch all the way.
What a treat it would be to 'float a boat' on and off the trailer.

DK DK is offline

wrote:
[...]

PFD on a dog? "Precious"!

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:15:16 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

The boat owner was eying my Princecraft and mentioned that he'd like to move
to something smaller he could easily launch by himself.

You want to sell it back to me, let me know.

wrote:

The boat owner was eying my Princecraft and mentioned that he'd like to
move
to something smaller he could easily launch by himself.

You want to sell it back to me, let me know.

Another deal done in the backwoods of Maine..........??
I'd only move up a step if the wife suddenly became interested in boating.

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 10:49:16 -0300, "Don White"

.. .
wrote:

The boat owner was eying my Princecraft and mentioned that he'd like to
move
to something smaller he could easily launch by himself.

You want to sell it back to me, let me know.

Another deal done in the backwoods of Maine..........??

Finest kind. :)

I'd only move up a step if the wife suddenly became interested in boating.

10-4. You'll get used to how it handles pretty quickly.

One thing you might want to consider is a manual hyrdaulic trim/tilt
device.

I'll see if I can find the link to the one I was looking at when I
owned the boat. That would help you a lot in those snarky situations.
It wasn't that expensive and pretty easy to install.

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 10:49:16 -0300, "Don White"

. ..
wrote:

The boat owner was eying my Princecraft and mentioned that he'd like to
move
to something smaller he could easily launch by himself.

You want to sell it back to me, let me know.

Another deal done in the backwoods of Maine..........??

Finest kind. :)

I'd only move up a step if the wife suddenly became interested in boating.

10-4. You'll get used to how it handles pretty quickly.

One thing you might want to consider is a manual hyrdaulic trim/tilt
device.

I'll see if I can find the link to the one I was looking at when I
owned the boat. That would help you a lot in those snarky situations.
It wasn't that expensive and pretty easy to install.

Sounds good.
BTW Should I be worried about denting the bottom or pounding rivets out by
banging over medium size waves at a good clip?
I imagine the boat must be engineered to absorb most of the abuse.
In sailing we just cut into the waves......

HK HK is offline

wrote:

[...]

You should slow down.

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 13:50:50 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

BTW Should I be worried about denting the bottom or pounding rivets out by
banging over medium size waves at a good clip?
I imagine the boat must be engineered to absorb most of the abuse.
In sailing we just cut into the waves......

Cut into the waves? Most sailboats are daysailors, flatbottom planing
hulls. The 25+MPH scows are a prime example. Scows simply don't cut
waves, they just try to mash them.

Casady