Default Boating today...

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 02:16:42 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:55:04 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 01:20:07 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:14:26 -0400, John H.
wrote:

was a blast. We went to a boaters' beach in Belmont Bay. Shared the place
with about 50 other boats and had a great time. Went over to our old
stomping grounds in Mattawoman Creek only to find the 'beach' overrun with
hydrilla. No boats anywhere.

Weather was great, little breeze (just enough to pinpoint the 'knob drift'
problem), and nothing but wakes over one foot. The new Yamaha ran like a
top. One of these days I'll see how fast it'll push that Key West. We're
still very happy with the boat.

Oh, and I didn't feel too 'foolish' either!

Knob drift?

Yeah, the thing Harry was complaining about on Chuck's Island. The position
of the knob, when going straight, will vary with the direction of the wind.
It doesn't mean there's a hydraulic steering problem or anything else,
although I suppose it could.

Um....that's not a "problem" as such - it's entirely normal when
adjusting for windage you will naturally turn into or away from
windage changing the position of the wind.

Remember you have what is essentially a bay boat with no real draft to
keep you from moving when the wind gets up. - in particular if you are
just "cruising" along at a relatively slow speed. You will have
better control as you speed up.

Eventually, your helm will make a 360 degree turn on you - the
hydraulics aren't pressurized so there will always be some slop in the
system and it will vary with air temp - even your console will have
some effect on the expansion and contraction of the steering control's
hydraulic fluid.

That's one of the little annoyances of light hydraulic steering on
small boats. In the eight years I've owned the Ranger, my helm has
spun around 360 or eve more than that.

Why did you opt for the knob?

*I* wasn't the one who presented it as a problem, Harry did over in Chuck's
Place. Then he started getting responses about his power steering, etc. I
realized yesterday that something as simple as wind direction will cause a
change in the clock position of the knob.

I didn't opt for it. The knob came with the Key West. It was easily
removed.

wrote:

[...]

The wind is NOT the issue. Good grief.
The wandering knob syndrome is normal for Seastar hydraulic steering
systems. It's mentioned in the manuals that come with the steering system.

Yesh - and who told you that?

It wasn't the manual.

And I'd love to debate the relative positions of the helm when
steering into or away from wind, but I don't feel like it.

wrote:

[...]

Frankly, I don't know what Harry is talking about. Every boat I've owned
with hydraulic or cable steering, from the Navigator, the Grand Banks, to
the Scout and Boston Whaler will have different helm positions to compensate
for windage while maintaining a course. Harry needs to take a ride on a
boat with rudder position indicators, set a course, put the autopilot on and
observe the rudder positions when running with wind on the beam.

Eisboch

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps Harry has a boat unaffected by wind? Ethereal, perhaps?

More on helm positions .... or semi-worthless nautical information ....

I never knew this until we had the Grand Banks. By tradition, dating back
to the great sailing ships, the helm had one spoke that was marked in some
fashion to indicate that the rudder was midships when the marked spoke was
in the upright position.
There's a name for this mark that escapes me, but the Grand Banks carried on
this nautical tradition.

Here are pictures of the lower and upper station helms. In the case of the
GB, one spoke had rings turned into it on a lathe to mark the midship spoke.
They are indicated by the red arrows:

The GB had cable steering. I can guarantee that the marked spoke would be
in different positions when maintaining a steady course in different wind
conditions.

http://www.eisboch.com/lowerhelmmark.jpg

http://www.eisboch.com/upperhelmmark.jpg

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

wrote:

[...]

Who told me that? A "techie" guy on a real boating discussion board, who
backed up what he said with a quote from the manual.

HK HK is offline

wrote:

[...]

We're not talking about the same thing here, I don't believe.

I'm talking about the engine or rudder being entirely amidships, in no
apparent wind or current, and the knob on the wheel being wherever the
hell it feels like being. You and Herring talking about the engine or
rudder being used to maintain a course during the impact of wind,
current or wave action.

There's a difference, a big one.

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 08:20:54 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

[...]

If one thinks that wind direction and speed won't affect helm position,
they've never watched a plane land with a crosswind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX3S5...eature=related

I wonder if that pilot has his rudder turned a little?

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Your "techie" is full of it.

Hydraulic systems are capable of very fine and repeatable positioning due to
the non-compressibility of the fluid.
They are used often over cable or pneumatic systems when fine positioning
control is required because they overcome the "sticky" nature of pneumatics
and the stretching of cables. In the business I was in we used air over
oil hydraulic systems to precisely move and locate 500 lb objects to within
thousands of an inch.

If the hydraulic steering system has not been purged of all air, or if there
is a leak, I can accept the helm position non-repeatability. But, if
leak-free and purged of all air, it should be perfectly repeatable.

It's the cross wind.

Eisboch

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

We're not talking about the same thing here, I don't believe.

I'm talking about the engine or rudder being entirely amidships, in no
apparent wind or current, and the knob on the wheel being wherever the
hell it feels like being. You and Herring talking about the engine or
rudder being used to maintain a course during the impact of wind, current
or wave action.

There's a difference, a big one.

But, aren't *you* the one who chastised JohnH that "it's not the wind"?

Eisboch