Calif Bill

Default Went out boating and fishing today

Just had to get out. So decided local lake Del Valle instead if South SF
Bay Sturgeon. Right choice. Got to Del Valle and the batteries were low
for the big motor. So ran on the kicker. Trolled to dam and anchored
fished Heron Bay and nothing. No one catching. Bald eagle flew over the
boat at about 20'. Cool. Rained hard a couple of times, but top and side
curtains and heater made life good. Was 41 degrees as I left at 6 pm.
Bill
21' Jetcraft Bluewater.

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 06:13:28 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

Just had to get out. So decided local lake Del Valle instead if South SF
Bay Sturgeon. Right choice. Got to Del Valle and the batteries were low
for the big motor. So ran on the kicker. Trolled to dam and anchored
fished Heron Bay and nothing. No one catching. Bald eagle flew over the
boat at about 20'. Cool. Rained hard a couple of times, but top and side
curtains and heater made life good. Was 41 degrees as I left at 6 pm.
Bill
21' Jetcraft Bluewater.

What were you fishing for?

The upper Thames River (past New London CT) has been producing an
incredible number of over-winter stripers and while I haven't gone,
the winter flounder fishing as been spectacular.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"I object to fishing tournaments less for
what they do to fish than what they do to
fishermen." Ted Williams - 1964
Lloyd Sumpter

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 06:13:28 +0000, Calif Bill wrote:

Just had to get out. So decided local lake Del Valle instead if South SF Bay
Sturgeon. Right choice. Got to Del Valle and the batteries were low for the
big motor. So ran on the kicker. Trolled to dam and anchored fished Heron Bay
and nothing. No one catching. Bald eagle flew over the boat at about 20'.
Cool. Rained hard a couple of times, but top and side curtains and heater made
life good. Was 41 degrees as I left at 6 pm. Bill
21' Jetcraft Bluewater.

Yup, this time of year, a heater SURE makes life Good.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - c/w Dickinson diesel heater

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:46:52 +0000, Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

What were you fishing for?

The upper Thames River (past New London CT) has been producing an incredible
number of over-winter stripers and while I haven't gone, the winter flounder
fishing as been spectacular.

What the hell is a "striper" anyway? I hear about them all the time on this
NG - never heard of them (we fish for halibut, salmon, steelhead, trout, etc.
here)

Lloyd

thunder

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 08:42:50 -0800, Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

What the hell is a "striper" anyway? I hear about them all the time on
this
NG - never heard of them (we fish for halibut, salmon, steelhead, trout,
etc. here)

http://www.chesapeakebay.net/info/striped_bass.cfm

Harry Krause

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:46:52 +0000, Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

What were you fishing for?

The upper Thames River (past New London CT) has been producing an incredible
number of over-winter stripers and while I haven't gone, the winter flounder
fishing as been spectacular.

What the hell is a "striper" anyway? I hear about them all the time on this
NG - never heard of them (we fish for halibut, salmon, steelhead, trout, etc.
here)

Lloyd

Striped bass. A fresh and salt water species. Sometimes large, but not
much of a fighter.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Calif Bill

Went for trout. Thought about going for sturgeon in south part of San
Francisco Bay, but too late of a start. Talked a couple of guys bass
fishing and they had caught 2.
Bill

wrote:

[...]

Calif Bill

Actually they fight well on the west coast. But I see so many people that
fish with way too heavy of gear. A 10# fish does not require 30# test line
and a heavy rod.
Bill

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:46:52 +0000, Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

What were you fishing for?

The upper Thames River (past New London CT) has been producing an

incredible
number of over-winter stripers and while I haven't gone, the winter

flounder
fishing as been spectacular.

What the hell is a "striper" anyway? I hear about them all the time

on this
NG - never heard of them (we fish for halibut, salmon, steelhead, trout,

etc.
here)

Lloyd

Striped bass. A fresh and salt water species. Sometimes large, but not
much of a fighter.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Calif Bill

Our striper bite is about over in most of the local areas. We get a great
"World Series bite" in October and then when the rains come they run way up
the river to spawn. And since the Sacramento Delta is about 1500 miles of
waterways, they get really spread out.
Bill

wrote:

[...]

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 13:43:36 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:46:52 +0000, Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

What were you fishing for?

The upper Thames River (past New London CT) has been producing an incredible
number of over-winter stripers and while I haven't gone, the winter flounder
fishing as been spectacular.

What the hell is a "striper" anyway? I hear about them all the time on this
NG - never heard of them (we fish for halibut, salmon, steelhead, trout, etc.
here)

Lloyd

Striped bass. A fresh and salt water species. Sometimes large, but not
much of a fighter.

Ever catch a 35 inch 40 pounder on a fly rod or a 6 foot M spinning
rod with 20 lb test?

I didn't think so. :)

Stripers are as much fun in the surf or off the bottom as a blue fish.
However, it you use heavy tackle, then it isn't much fun even if you
catch a bluefish and those will fight you all the way to the boat.
The problem with stripers is when you turn them towards the rod or the
boat, they will come straight at the boat - you have to spin the reel
hard just to catch up. Fish who run at angles provide the best fight,
but stripers aren't anything to sneeze at.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT