Default Yamaha Fuel Management Gauges

Does anyone know if these gauges display miles per gallon (or litres per km)
or just miles travelled and gallons consumed?

Do they need any special interface to work with standard GPS's like a
Raytheon chart plotter?

Thanks, Graham

Jim Jim is offline

"Graham" wrote in message
Does anyone know if these gauges display miles per gallon (or litres per
km) or just miles travelled and gallons consumed?

Do they need any special interface to work with standard GPS's like a
Raytheon chart plotter?

Thanks, Graham

The GPS reports miles per hour over land. It would be useless to use those
calculations in determining real miles per gallon over the surface of the
water.

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 06:27:42 GMT, "Graham" wrote:

Does anyone know if these gauges display miles per gallon (or litres per km)
or just miles travelled and gallons consumed?

Do they need any special interface to work with standard GPS's like a
Raytheon chart plotter?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

If you mean fuel flow meter, that's just a measurement of the fuel
flowing to the engine which translates to gallons per hour (gph).

Has nothing to do with GPS - the functions are all an internal
calculation by firmware which can be displayed in a variety of ways
including miles per gallon based on the gallons per hour data.

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 06:27:42 GMT, "Graham" wrote:

Does anyone know if these gauges display miles per gallon (or litres per km)
or just miles travelled and gallons consumed?

Do they need any special interface to work with standard GPS's like a
Raytheon chart plotter?

Thanks, Graham

Check this - don't know if it applies to yours.
About halfway down is pic.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/t...tart=1&posts=1

--Vic

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 08:25:15 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 06:29:26 -0400, Jim penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

"Graham" wrote in message
Does anyone know if these gauges display miles per gallon (or litres per
km) or just miles travelled and gallons consumed?

Do they need any special interface to work with standard GPS's like a
Raytheon chart plotter?

Thanks, Graham

The GPS reports miles per hour over land. It would be useless to use those
calculations in determining real miles per gallon over the surface of the
water.

Au contraire, mon ami!

The Yamaha fuel management gages must receive a fuel flow and GPS (or
speedometer... IMHO,useless) input. You must provide the GPS. I'm not
sure what format(s) of in/output are acceptable, but I suspect it is
configurable to standard formats IOW.... I don't think any special
interface is necessary (since you are likely using the Command Link
interface, already), if the GPS unit outputs a format recognizable to
the FMM..

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard...nk/page05.aspx

No, I think Jim is right.

The link doesn't really give you any information on what data sets are
actually being shared and what format - I would assume NEMA 183.X
which is the defacto standard. The major issue would be connectors on
that harness they supply and how compatiable it is with other units.
However, being NEMA 183 systems, the connector to the hub has to be
something standard - maybe like a N connector or RCA jack.

To the point though, what purpose would having a fuel flow meter do a
calculation based on GPS? The calculation would be simpler and more
efficient to take the fuel flow data in GPH and base the rest of the
calculation on that - position has nothing to do with fuel usage. GPH
has a direct correlation to RPM and MPG - why complicate things?

For instance, if the metering system does the calculations and you
select MPG, then you know if you are using more or less fuel to reach
your destination - X miles equals Y fuel (or the inverse - Y fuel
equals X miles). Same with GPH - X miles equals Y operating time
equals Z available miles.

GPS has nothing to do with fuel usage.

HK HK is offline

"Graham" wrote in message
[...]

Well, this has been a fun read so far.

There are *two* different Yamaha gauges available that display fuel usage.

One is a fuel management meter unit. The other is a speed and fuel meter
unit. Interestingly, the "speed sensor" on the engine is incredibly
accurate, at least it is on my boat. It gives just about the same
reading as the GPS at all times that I have noticed.

The fuel management meter shows flow, fuel available, total consumption,
and miles or nautical miles per gallon. Metric read-outs are also
available.

The speed and fuel meter unit does not display the amount of fuel
available. But it does have functions not available on the fuel
management meter.

I have the Command Link Multifunction Meter Installation Manual somewhere.

As always, have a wonderful day.

"Graham" wrote in message
[...]

That's similar to the unit I have with the ETEC.

I have the Command Link Multifunction Meter Installation Manual somewhere.

I'd be curious what the data format is and what version.

Still doens't answer the question though - why bother with hooking a
GPS into the system?

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 06:29:26 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

"Graham" wrote in message
Does anyone know if these gauges display miles per gallon (or litres per
km) or just miles travelled and gallons consumed?

Do they need any special interface to work with standard GPS's like a
Raytheon chart plotter?

Thanks, Graham

The GPS reports miles per hour over land. It would be useless to use those
calculations in determining real miles per gallon over the surface of the
water.

It reports MPH everywhere equally well. It doesn't know sea from land
unless you get it wet. It reports speed over the land and if the land
is flooded, at sea or on a river, there may be an effect from
currents.

Casady

"Graham" wrote in message
[...]

I have no idea why you would want to do that...I do have the "depth"
readout of my Ray depth finder hooked into the GPS, and I have the GPS
set up to show that number -LARGE- on one corner of the GPS display.

I don't give a damn about mpg's on my boat. I pay attention to gph's!
Actually, I don't pay much attention to any of the instruments...other
than the tach and the depth readout. The Bay is a very visual boating
venue, and I am familiar with both shores, so I can always tell just
about where I am. On a reasonably clear day, both shores are visible.

Jim Jim is offline

"Graham" wrote in message
Does anyone know if these gauges display miles per gallon (or litres per
km) or just miles travelled and gallons consumed?

Do they need any special interface to work with standard GPS's like a
Raytheon chart plotter?

Thanks, Graham

The GPS reports miles per hour over land. It would be useless to use those
calculations in determining real miles per gallon over the surface of the
water.

It reports MPH everywhere equally well. It doesn't know sea from land
unless you get it wet. It reports speed over the land and if the land
is flooded, at sea or on a river,

THIS IS THE WHOLE POINT. If you are heading against a 5 kt current at 10
kts, what speed will the GPS report?

there may be an effect from
currents.

Casady