Default Yamaha Fuel Management Gauges

"Tom The Prophet" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 15:38:21 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

. ..
On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 11:39:02 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

GPH is pretty meaningless when one wants to determine fuel consumed
per distance traveled. Miles per gallon is really what we want to
know, since that is a better measure of fuel economy. (Least fuel
consumed, per mile, is my goal, anyway.)

Please take no offense, but that doesn't make any sense.

You have to have a base calculation which would be gallons per hour
(actually I've been told that the true base is per minute) because
it's the only true way to measure fuel usage.

Thus, you use X fuel over Y time.

So what can be the variable in the equation - RPM. At low RPM,
G(used)PH goes down and when RPM rises, G(used)PH goes up.

Thus, at A revolutions you use X Fuel over Y time.

That cannot change - it's the base calculation.

Now from there, you can make whatever calculation you want - furlongs
per fortnight or miles per gallon - it doesn't matter because it's all
based on GPH. It can't be any other way.

Feed distance, time, and gallons consumed into the computer and out
comes MPG.

That's fine, but it's still the same number as GPH. You have still
used a certain amount of Gallons Per Hour.

You asked a question in another post:

Heading upstream in a 10 MPH current at 8 MPH would give what
sort of MPG???? Sooner or later the fuel tank would overflow...!

That's exactly the point of GPH - you have a known figure.

If your not making headway, you are still using fuel - GPH again.

There are simply too many variables to calculate MPH over water. You can
use
a GPS log of total miles traveled to calculate MPG of a particular trip.
That won't necessarily compare to the same trip on a different day. You
can
collect data and come up with averages if you want. That might be useful.
You can reliably chart GPH at given throttle positions and then convert
throttle position to approximate MPH(over water, not land). You and I are
on
the same page but the other folks don't buy into what we are saying. No
big
deal.

You've wrapped it up much more clearly that I did. :)

It's actually a tomato/TOMAHTOE thing - I'm comfortable with GPH and
others are comfortable with MPG.

No worries.

I need an average MPG, as if you are running to an upriver or offshore
point, it would be nice to know if you have enough fuel capacity. I could
slow down and get a little better mileage, or go faster for fun.

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 17:11:39 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 11:18:42 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 06:29:26 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

"Graham" wrote in message
Does anyone know if these gauges display miles per gallon (or litres
per
km) or just miles travelled and gallons consumed?

Do they need any special interface to work with standard GPS's like a
Raytheon chart plotter?

Thanks, Graham

The GPS reports miles per hour over land. It would be useless to use
those
calculations in determining real miles per gallon over the surface of
the
water.

It reports MPH everywhere equally well. It doesn't know sea from land
unless you get it wet. It reports speed over the land and if the land
is flooded, at sea or on a river,

THIS IS THE WHOLE POINT. If you are heading against a 5 kt current at
10
kts, what speed will the GPS report?

10 knots. But, without the current, you'd be making 15 knots all else
being
equal.

Wrongo old bonged one. The GPS sees you doing 5MPH over ground. What matters
on a boat is your speed thru the water. Speed thru the water is determined
by your throttle position which has a relationship to RPM and GPM. These
things are predictable and repeatable. When you want to know ground speed
toward destination you need to take into consideration current and drift.
Same thing in an airplane. There is ground speed and air speed. They're
different.
Sorry you got bonged. I wonder why Harry got less jail time for a more
flagrant rule violation?

No. You assumed the 10 knots was the speed over water, I assumed the 10
knots was the speed over ground.

No problem with the bonged bit, and since I didn't see Harry's stuff, I
can't comment. Chuck and I have been having a running discussion about 'the
threesome' and their behavior. Apparently he's decided that discussion and
criticism of his rules is against his rules. And, that's OK. I wish he'd
said so up front.

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:12:17 GMT, Tom The Prophet
wrote:

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 16:47:55 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

Don't forget to bring human fuel too.

Cannibalism?

EEEEWWWWWWW......

He said 'human fuel', not 'human, human fuel'. There's a subtle difference.
HK HK is offline

John H. wrote:

Chuck and I have been having a running discussion about 'the
threesome' and their behavior.

Uh-huh. I can only imagine the "discussion" Chuck has been having with
you. He must be holding his nose, because, when it gets down to brass
tacks, you stink.

(nicely mixed metaphor, hey?)

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...19-Sounds-MIDI