Default capaticy plate

I have to tell you when it comes to luck I have the worse!!

I finally decided on a boat and purchased it.

1990 Maxum 18ft 1800SR
Open bow 135hp Merc I/o

I was sittin at the local Notary Tag center getting it all registered and
legal. When the guy asked me for the capacity plate information....

There is no tag/sticker indication of any capacity information nowhere!!

What is the information of this plate that I need? I can apply to the boat
commission to issue me a new tag but that does not help getting her
registered now. What should it read please?

Thanks!!!!!

Tim

Senior Member

On Jul 3, 10:22*am, "Jeepinit" wrote:
I have to tell you when it comes to luck I have the worse!!

I finally decided on a boat and purchased it.

1990 Maxum 18ft 1800SR
Open bow 135hp Merc I/o

I was sittin at the local Notary Tag center getting it all registered and
legal. *When the guy asked me for the capacity plate information....

There is no tag/sticker indication of any capacity information nowhere!!

What is the information of this plate that I need? *I can apply to the boat
commission to issue me a new tag but that does not help getting her
registered now. *What should it read please?

Thanks!!!!!

Tim

Go he
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/educati...atbuilders.pdf
and look to page 36 of the pdf file...HTH

Scotty from SmallBoats.com
RowdyMouseRacing.com
Trip-Reports.com where did you go today?
HK HK is offline

Jeepinit wrote:
I have to tell you when it comes to luck I have the worse!!

I finally decided on a boat and purchased it.

1990 Maxum 18ft 1800SR
Open bow 135hp Merc I/o

I was sittin at the local Notary Tag center getting it all registered and
legal. When the guy asked me for the capacity plate information....

There is no tag/sticker indication of any capacity information nowhere!!

What is the information of this plate that I need? I can apply to the boat
commission to issue me a new tag but that does not help getting her
registered now. What should it read please?

Thanks!!!!!

Tim

Maxum has factories in Salisbury, MD, and Pipestone, MN. You might try
calling the factory and asking for customer service. Or try a local
Maxum dealer.

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:22:42 -0400, "Jeepinit"
wrote:

I have to tell you when it comes to luck I have the worse!!

I finally decided on a boat and purchased it.

1990 Maxum 18ft 1800SR
Open bow 135hp Merc I/o

I was sittin at the local Notary Tag center getting it all registered and
legal. When the guy asked me for the capacity plate information....

There is no tag/sticker indication of any capacity information nowhere!!

Has to be permanetly fixed at or near the operator's position. Has to
- it's got to be there.

On an inboard/IO there isn't a horsepower rating - only weight and
passenger information.

It will be yellow and black plastic plaque.

Off hand, at eighteen feet, I'd guess 1,200 pds gear and people with a
six person capacity, but don't take that for granted - it may be WAY
different.

I'm sure you will find the capacity plate.

"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote
Has to be permanetly fixed at or near the operator's position. Has to
- it's got to be there.

As I understand the law, the manufacturer has to put a capacity label there,
but there's no law against an owner removing it. Kind of like those tags on
mattresses. That's only at the fed level; there may be other state laws that
apply. A Maxum dealer should be able to get the OP a new one if his is
missing.

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:39:44 -0400, "Ernest Scribbler"
wrote:

"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote
Has to be permanetly fixed at or near the operator's position. Has to
- it's got to be there.

As I understand the law, the manufacturer has to put a capacity label there,
but there's no law against an owner removing it. Kind of like those tags on
mattresses. That's only at the fed level; there may be other state laws that
apply. A Maxum dealer should be able to get the OP a new one if his is
missing.

No. The CFR says all boats have to have the capacity plate. If you
have seperate insurance for your boat, the company may hold you liable
for any claims if one isn't present and you overload the boat.

There is a way to rebadge the boat by changing propulsion or
decreasing the number of people allowed on board, but it has to be
there.

CFR 183.23 and 183.25

http://tinyurl.com/5szakh

wrote:

[...]

All boats do not have to have a capacity plate stating the number of
passengers and weight. I think it is only up to 20' of boat. After that
it requires a statement placard / plate that says that the boat manufacture
conforms to all Coast Guard applicable laws.

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 12:02:26 -0700, "Calif Bill"

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Yes Bill - and what are the applicable laws?

What - you been taking Harry lessons? :)

I contacted a Maxum Dealer they told me 8 people 2130 weight 200 hp. She
also is sending me a form for a request for a new capacity plate.

I used the information she gave me to finalize the paperwork. I will
request a new plate. If it is in fact different ....that will be the next
saga.

This group is great I look forward to boating and spending sometime learning
and reading here!..Thank you all I appreciate it greatly!

Tim

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Agreed. My smaller boats had/has one.........the larger boats did not.

capacity plate Mike General 3 June 7th 06 11:55 PM
never promise a plate [email protected] ASA 0 April 22nd 05 11:28 AM
don't try to comb a plate Nydia ASA 0 April 22nd 05 10:06 AM
my deep plate won't sow before I promise it Confused Dumb Boy ASA 0 April 8th 05 01:40 PM
OT. Retina plate JAXAshby ASA 3 October 21st 04 01:07 AM