Default Launch Ramp Follies...

or, as I like to call it, The Clown Show.

Dave Fields, one of my long time fishing buddies, called and asked if
I wanted to heed up to Webster for some bassin' in his brandy new
Triton 21X2 DC. Heck yeah.

Had a great time, caught some fish and got to look ever his new boat.
Very nice, setup for tournament fishing with a 250 Merc Optimax Pro XS
engine. It's got more state-of-the-art electronics than I thought you
could put on a bass boat.

Anyway, we headed back to the ramp and noticed a guy trying to back up
his boat and trailer. He was really making a project out of it
crossways, sideways - anyway but straight.

We beached the Triton and while Dave went to get the truck and
trailer, I walked over to the guy and asked if I could give him a
hand. Younger guy and he had his girlfriend in the truck. Help was
refused rather brusquely and when I said "You sure- no problem" it was
a very definite no with a few choice swear words thrown in for good
measure.

OOOkay - no problem - have at it.

Well, it kept getting worse. As we recovered the girlfriend got out
of the truck and was trying to direct Mr. I Don't Need No Help and it
was just getting more frustrating to him. Every time he'd make an
error and compound that error by making another and another and so on.

Dave and I pulled up under the trees in the recovery area to secure
the boat and gear - I wasn't paying much attention and I heard Dave
shout NO NO NO...I looked up, looked over and, as God is my witness,
the guy had disconnected the boat from the truck and was trying to
walk the boat, on the trailer, down the ramp.

Needless to say, as soon as it started rolling downhill, it got away
from him, spun on the front tongue jack and flipped upside down
sideways.

The girlfriend just got out of the truck and started walking up hill
past Dave and me. As she went by, she stopped and asked if she could
stay with us until her sister could get there to pick her up - she
didn't want to be around when the guys Dad got there - the boat was
brand new - hadn't even been in the water yet.

Cops and FD arrived, the kid's Dad showed up and went ballistic
because, as the cop told us, Dad didn't know Son had the boat. Girl's
sister showed up and off she went along with us after explaining to
the cop what happened.

Eventful afternoon. :)
Bud Bud is offline

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 00:09:57 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
snip
Dave and I pulled up under the trees in the recovery area to secure
the boat and gear - I wasn't paying much attention and I heard Dave
shout NO NO NO...I looked up, looked over and, as God is my witness,
the guy had disconnected the boat from the truck and was trying to
walk the boat, on the trailer, down the ramp.

Needless to say, as soon as it started rolling downhill, it got away
from him, spun on the front tongue jack and flipped upside down
sideways.

What a time to not have a video camera!

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:29:18 -0700, Bud wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 00:09:57 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
snip
Dave and I pulled up under the trees in the recovery area to secure
the boat and gear - I wasn't paying much attention and I heard Dave
shout NO NO NO...I looked up, looked over and, as God is my witness,
the guy had disconnected the boat from the truck and was trying to
walk the boat, on the trailer, down the ramp.

Needless to say, as soon as it started rolling downhill, it got away
from him, spun on the front tongue jack and flipped upside down
sideways.

What a time to not have a video camera!

It would hve been a Youtube Top Ten.

Funny thing was I thought about taking the video camera with me just
for giggles and tape the excursion, but had second thoughts.

Bummer. :)

That is fabulous. The only people that turn down help are stupid people.

I launched myself the other day, and the wind was blowing away from the
dock. I was backing against my bow line to bring the stern back to the dock,
when a nice guy asked for my stern line. Sure, I could have done it myself,
but it was a lot quicker to throw him the line, and tie me off. After I
parked the truck, I gave the same assistance to another boater doing the
same thing.

Funny thing is that it's the rookie boaters that are most likely to turn
down an offer of help, and they need it the most. The more seasoned guys
(and gals) appreciate it.

--Mike

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:29:18 -0700, Bud wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 00:09:57 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
snip
Dave and I pulled up under the trees in the recovery area to secure
the boat and gear - I wasn't paying much attention and I heard Dave
shout NO NO NO...I looked up, looked over and, as God is my witness,
the guy had disconnected the boat from the truck and was trying to
walk the boat, on the trailer, down the ramp.

Needless to say, as soon as it started rolling downhill, it got away
from him, spun on the front tongue jack and flipped upside down
sideways.

What a time to not have a video camera!

It would hve been a Youtube Top Ten.

Funny thing was I thought about taking the video camera with me just
for giggles and tape the excursion, but had second thoughts.

Bummer. :)

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 02:13:24 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:29:18 -0700, Bud wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 00:09:57 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
snip
Dave and I pulled up under the trees in the recovery area to secure
the boat and gear - I wasn't paying much attention and I heard Dave
shout NO NO NO...I looked up, looked over and, as God is my witness,
the guy had disconnected the boat from the truck and was trying to
walk the boat, on the trailer, down the ramp.

Needless to say, as soon as it started rolling downhill, it got away
from him, spun on the front tongue jack and flipped upside down
sideways.

What a time to not have a video camera!

It would hve been a Youtube Top Ten.

Funny thing was I thought about taking the video camera with me just
for giggles and tape the excursion, but had second thoughts.

Bummer. :)

Good story! Fools tend to justify their existence with stupidity.

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 19:44:10 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

Funny thing is that it's the rookie boaters that are most likely to turn
down an offer of help, and they need it the most. The more seasoned guys
(and gals) appreciate it.

When I had my boats at the Marina, we used to walk over to other piers
to help folks with their boats while docking.

I think you've hit the nail on the head - rookies - amateurs.

~~ sigh ~~ :)
Senior Member

On Jul 2, 6:58*am, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 19:44:10 -0700, "Mike" wrote:
Funny thing is that it's the rookie boaters that are most likely to turn
down an offer of help, and they need it the most. The more seasoned guys
(and gals) appreciate it.

When I had my boats at the Marina, we used to walk over to other piers
to help folks with their boats while docking.

I think you've hit the nail on the head - rookies - amateurs.

~~ sigh ~~ *:)

I think it's an ego thing... Seems to be a theme with boaters. The
bikers are different, especially on the track. We tend to take each
other, and our sport, a little more seriously. Of course, there is not
as much "leisure" time on a bike as on a boat. Anyone willing to help,
or that needs help, it's done, usually without a word ever being
said.. Just a nod and a rip of the throttle when everyone is back on
their seat. I think it has to do with the fact that we all have
respect for anyone who is out there doing it. Folks who would look
down their noses at me and mine on a boat, or the highway, are our
best friends there.. .everyone is brown (muddy as it were once you
strap on the gear, there are no snobs once you are racing them. I
really like the way much better riders will hang back some to give the
mouse a race...

I am getting better by the day, hell, I almost got my first case
monkey butt

Scotty (Doc)
SmallBoats.com
RowdyMouseRacing.com
Trip-Reports.com where did you go today?

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 07:03:17 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I am getting better by the day, hell, I almost got my first case
monkey butt

Finally got that hemorroidectomy? :)
Senior Member

wrote:
I am getting better by the day, hell, I almost got my first case
monkey butt

Finally got that hemorroidectomy? *:)

Are you kidding. I have had a great realationship with my "little
friends" for years Really though, I don't have roids.. but you can
be a real pain in the .... oh ****.. I keep forgetting how close you
are, nevermind...