Default Fuel economy of older jet boats

"Larry" wrote in message
"Calif Bill" wrote in
m:

I did not buy an aluminum jetboat for the economy. I bought it to run
shallow and tree filled rivers. Better economy than a jetski. My
351W engine got me about 2 mpg, 3400# 21' boat. The newer 5.7L mpi
gets better, but have not really checked on the mpg yet.

What's really unfortunate is the unscrupulous American dealers for the
Mercury Sport Jet-powered boats and PWC dealers who purposely DON'T tell
new owners their jets will be destroyed if they suck up a rock the
diameter
of a quarter and get it wedge between the whirling impeller and the stator
1/8" behind it in the flow. Many PWC and jetboats are destroyed here
because owners don't know the difference between Australian-style flats
boats powered by filtered jets with no stator and what's being sold as
jetboats in the USA....never made to handle a rock.

You need to look at the Hamilton and Kodiak pumps online. They have
stators. Most have stainless impellers and aluminum stators. And the grate
only filters to about 1/2". The clearance is close enough that the rock
does not lodge between the impeller and the stator, but will ding both.

I just outfitted my Yamaha with a Garmin 545s, and on the next fill-up, I'll
report what my MPG is with the twin MR-1s. I don't expect anything
outstanding, but I thinl it will be better than expected.

--Mike

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

"Larry" wrote in message
"Calif Bill" wrote in
m:

Mine is a Kodiak 3 stage that is a licensed copy of an older hamilton.
I have sucked weeds several times and sticks a couple times. Does
not take much of a stick stuck in the impeller to cause cavitation.
Makes me think a lot of prop boats with small dings in the prop are
effecting performance huge amounts.

Jetboat Economy.....ha ha ha....you guys are too funny!

Isn't that an oxymoron??

Older Boats/Motors Bill H General 4 June 26th 08 08:40 PM
Excellent Fuel Economy (OT) Chuck Gould General 4 December 4th 07 03:23 PM
(non-political) comments on fuel economy and technology [email protected] General 28 February 5th 06 10:22 PM
Fuel economy while motorsailing [email protected] Cruising 35 March 8th 05 07:09 AM
what throttle setting gives best fuel economy? RB General 10 April 9th 04 03:34 AM