Default Older Boats/Motors

I'm retired/limited income, lotsa time. I've been looking on craigslist
at affordable boats (small ones) and find things like:

This is a tri hull with a 79' 35 hp evinrude. It comes with an EZ loader
trailer with new wheels. The boat has new lights. Motor has a new
starter, new fuel pump. It needs to have the stator replaced. Stator can
be bought on e bay for $50. 800 OBO takes it today. Call Mike at
XXX-XXX-XXXX, or reply to this post.

This isn't necessarily one I'm interested in, but is representative of
what you'll find there. My question is, How repairable are 30 Yr Old
motors and what is parts availability? I've got a garage full of hand
tool, and been a shade tree mechanic for years. Just wondering...
Senior Member

On Jun 26, 12:27*am, Bill H wrote:
I'm retired/limited income, lotsa time. *I've been looking on craigslist
at affordable boats (small ones) and find things like:

This is a tri hull with a 79' 35 hp evinrude. It comes with an EZ loader
trailer with new wheels. The boat has new lights. Motor has a new
starter, new fuel pump. It needs to have the stator replaced. Stator can
be bought on e bay for $50. 800 OBO takes it today. Call Mike at
XXX-XXX-XXXX, or reply to this post.

This isn't necessarily one I'm interested in, but is representative of
what you'll find there. *My question is, How repairable are 30 Yr Old
motors and what is parts availability? *I've got a garage full of hand
tool, and been a shade tree mechanic for years. *Just wondering...

Hummm, parts might be hard to find, cases hard to crack. I would wait
for something newer, with the economy, something will come along. As
to working on the engines, I would try to get a manual, but a four
stroke, is a four stroke.. They all run on fuel, air, and fire...

On Jun 26, 12:27*am, Bill H wrote:
I'm retired/limited income, lotsa time. *I've been looking on craigslist
at affordable boats (small ones) and find things like:

This is a tri hull with a 79' 35 hp evinrude. It comes with an EZ loader
trailer with new wheels. The boat has new lights. Motor has a new
starter, new fuel pump. It needs to have the stator replaced. Stator can
be bought on e bay for $50. 800 OBO takes it today. Call Mike at
XXX-XXX-XXXX, or reply to this post.

This isn't necessarily one I'm interested in, but is representative of
what you'll find there. *My question is, How repairable are 30 Yr Old
motors and what is parts availability? *I've got a garage full of hand
tool, and been a shade tree mechanic for years. *Just wondering...

One item you have to look at carefully on older boats is the wood
inside fiberglass hulls. For a long time wood has been used as
stringers, transom, and floor in fiberglass boats. It eventually gets
wet and rots. The problem got a bit worse when the floatation
requirement came into effect for small boats. The manufacturers
solution was to pump foam under the floor. The problem is that the
foam traps water and can accelerate the rot problem.

"Bill H" wrote in message
m...
I'm retired/limited income, lotsa time. I've been looking on craigslist at
affordable boats (small ones) and find things like:

This is a tri hull with a 79' 35 hp evinrude. It comes with an EZ loader
trailer with new wheels. The boat has new lights. Motor has a new starter, new
fuel pump. It needs to have the stator replaced. Stator can be bought on e bay
for $50. 800 OBO takes it today. Call Mike at XXX-XXX-XXXX, or reply to this
post.

This isn't necessarily one I'm interested in, but is representative of what
you'll find there. My question is, How repairable are 30 Yr Old motors and
what is parts availability? I've got a garage full of hand tool, and been a
shade tree mechanic for years. Just wondering...

As a general rule I'd avoid fiberglass/wood boats more than about 15 years old.
Too many opportunities for hidden rot and other defects.

Older motors ARE repairable, and a good market of spare/salvage parts exists IF
the motor was a high volumne mainstream brand. Basically we're talking
Johnson/Evinrude and Mercury/Mariner.

A good shadetree mechanic, after studying up on two-stroke fundamentals, could
work on any of the older models, although the last couple of generations also
have computers to contend with which might make them less desirable for DIY
mechanics.

Hans/MN
--
Come sit by the fire and warm your bones. Share a bracing drink and a few tales.
"The wind was picking up, the bite was cold, my hands were numb, nose was

Bill H wrote:
I'm retired/limited income, lotsa time. I've been looking on craigslist
at affordable boats (small ones)

My question is, How repairable are 30 Yr Old
motors and what is parts availability? I've got a garage full of hand
tool, and been a shade tree mechanic for years. Just wondering...

Thanks for the replies, this is kind of what I suspected.

E-Tec motors Bill Kiene General 3 May 30th 07 06:11 PM
Relative Value of Various Boats/Motors - Newbie Questions Inno General 1 August 21st 06 08:28 AM
where to find msrp for boats, motors.... [email protected] General 3 September 1st 04 08:29 PM
FS: IN ONTARIO, boats,motors and more news Marketplace 0 October 23rd 03 04:35 AM
Marine Insurance for older boats Greg Boyles General 7 October 18th 03 10:07 PM