Default Fuel economy of older jet boats

HK wrote:
Richard Casady wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:46:08 +0000, Larry wrote:

In a Sea Rayder 16' jetboat, the 175hp, 6-cylinder Sport Jet will
guzzle around 14-20 gallons a day, especially if you drive it like
you stole it or pull skiiers for hours.

That statement is useless without a time factor better than 'per day',
Eight hour day would be maybe 2 gallons per hour. I don't think that
is what you meant.

Casady

Really, and 14-20 gallons wouldn't be that much for any boater with an
engine around that size who ran at a high cruise or was pulling tubes or
skiers.

You don't pull skiers, wakeboarders or tubes at high cruise.
HK HK is offline

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
HK wrote:
Richard Casady wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:46:08 +0000, Larry wrote:

In a Sea Rayder 16' jetboat, the 175hp, 6-cylinder Sport Jet will
guzzle around 14-20 gallons a day, especially if you drive it like
you stole it or pull skiiers for hours.

That statement is useless without a time factor better than 'per day',
Eight hour day would be maybe 2 gallons per hour. I don't think that
is what you meant.

Casady

Really, and 14-20 gallons wouldn't be that much for any boater with an
engine around that size who ran at a high cruise or was pulling tubes
or skiers.

You don't pull skiers, wakeboarders or tubes at high cruise.

Try reading the sentence again, braindead.

"...ran at high cruise *or* was pulling tubes or skiers."

HK wrote:
Richard Casady wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:46:08 +0000, Larry wrote:

In a Sea Rayder 16' jetboat, the 175hp, 6-cylinder Sport Jet will
guzzle around 14-20 gallons a day, especially if you drive it like
you stole it or pull skiiers for hours.

That statement is useless without a time factor better than 'per day',
Eight hour day would be maybe 2 gallons per hour. I don't think that
is what you meant.

Casady

Really, and 14-20 gallons wouldn't be that much for any boater with
an engine around that size who ran at a high cruise or was pulling
tubes or skiers.

You don't pull skiers, wakeboarders or tubes at high cruise.

Try reading the sentence again, braindead.

"...ran at high cruise *or* was pulling tubes or skiers."

My experience is that pulling a skier/tube at 3000 rpm, or a wakeboarder
at 2200 rpm would burn about the same or maybe slightly more than
running at 3400 without towing anyone.

What have you noticed when you are pulling skiers/wakerboarders and tubers?

HK wrote:
Richard Casady wrote:
[...]

What I noticed is you cannot properly decode a simple sentence.

HK wrote:
Richard Casady wrote:
[...]

So are you saying there is no appreciable difference between cruising
at 3400 rpm and pulling water toys at 2200-3200?

If so, we do agree. Who says pigs can't fly.

HK wrote:
Richard Casady wrote:
[...]

Third time is the charm.

You looked up *or* !

Good for you.

Maybe you aren't loogy's daddy.

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 14:31:08 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
"Reggie is Here wrote:

Who says pigs can't fly.

Pigs?

HK wrote:
Richard Casady wrote:
[...]

Could be IMO. Depends on the boat and how it is powered.

HK HK is offline

HK wrote:
Richard Casady wrote:
[...]

There are a considerable number of variables here, which you picked up
on but were lost on Reggie. Could be is the right answer.

HK wrote:
Richard Casady wrote:
[...]

It also depends on many other factors such as number of passengers
aboard when doing 3400 rmp and pulling water toys at 2200 rpm.

All things being equal, I doubt pulling folks in water toys and in the
boat at 3200 rmp is the same fuel burn rate as cruising with with
those folks at 3400 rpm.

Older Boats/Motors Bill H General 4 June 26th 08 08:40 PM
Excellent Fuel Economy (OT) Chuck Gould General 4 December 4th 07 03:23 PM
(non-political) comments on fuel economy and technology [email protected] General 28 February 5th 06 10:22 PM
Fuel economy while motorsailing [email protected] Cruising 35 March 8th 05 07:09 AM
what throttle setting gives best fuel economy? RB General 10 April 9th 04 03:34 AM