Senior Member

Default What did they do to my ETec?!?!?!?

On Jun 25, 5:20*pm, "KØHB" wrote:
OK, I've had several more outings since the first post, and this increase is
REAL. I consistently get 200-300 more RPM's and a corresponding increase in GPS
MPH. This is with the boat fully loaded, all equipment, full of fuel, etc..

Absolutely nothing has changed in this rig except for the 3-year maintenance
(which included reflashing the firmware.

I'm considering a more aggressive prop!

Hans/MN
--

Come sit by the fire and warm your bones. Share a bracing drink and a few tales.
"The wind was picking up, the bite was cold, my hands were numb, nose was

I agree, it probably has a lot/everything to do with the firmware
upgrade. These engines now are as advanced as some of the port fuel
injection systems I used to work on. When you have digital control of
fuel and air, a lot can be done with software/firmware to increase
performance. I wonder if the factory guys did a bunch of testing over
the years and found that they could run them at a higher RPM than
origionally specs would have suggested. Of course all of this suggests
that if you could dip into the board, you could make on the fly mods
of your own like the black boxes sold for diesel trucks and gasoline
hotrods.

If I were you, I might consider SS four blade - your top end will stay
about the same, but oh my gosh, the acceleration is outstanding.

I'm currently running a 3-blade Viper SS, 19 pitch.

Would you start out looking at the same pitch in a 4-blade? Which 4-blade?

Hans/MN
--

Come sit by my fire and warm your bones. Share a bracing drink and a few tales.
"The wind was picking up, the bite was gone cold, my hands were numb, nose

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:37:11 -0000, "KØHB"

.. .

If I were you, I might consider SS four blade - your top end will stay
about the same, but oh my gosh, the acceleration is outstanding.

I'm currently running a 3-blade Viper SS, 19 pitch.

Do what I did - stick with the same pitch only four blade.

Out of curiosity, how old is your engine? I just heard something
today kind of interesting - they changed the deflector pins in certain
2006 engines - don't know if the 90 was covered in the change.

That could account for the increase in performance also.
HK HK is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:37:11 -0000, "KØHB"

If I were you, I might consider SS four blade - your top end will stay
about the same, but oh my gosh, the acceleration is outstanding.

I'm currently running a 3-blade Viper SS, 19 pitch.

Do what I did - stick with the same pitch only four blade.

Out of curiosity, how old is your engine? I just heard something
today kind of interesting - they changed the deflector pins in certain
2006 engines - don't know if the 90 was covered in the change.

That could account for the increase in performance also.

Deflector pins? What, please, are these, and what do they do?

..

Out of curiosity, how old is your engine? I just heard something
today kind of interesting - they changed the deflector pins in certain
2006 engines - don't know if the 90 was covered in the change.

It's a 2005, about 400 hours on it. The invoice for the "3-year checkup" only
shows changed lower unit lube, changed fuel filter, inspected plugs,
inspected/replaced water pump rotor, reflashed computer with 3 updates. No
comment about any other adjustments or replacements or deflector pins. "See you
in three more years"

Hans/MN
--
Come sit by my fire and warm your bones. Share a bracing drink and a few tales.
"The wind was picking up, the bite was gone cold, my hands were numb, nose
was running, I had to pee, and I was thinking of heading for the dock, when...."

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:54:15 -0000, "KØHB"

.. .
.

Out of curiosity, how old is your engine? I just heard something
today kind of interesting - they changed the deflector pins in certain
2006 engines - don't know if the 90 was covered in the change.

It's a 2005, about 400 hours on it. The invoice for the "3-year checkup" only
shows changed lower unit lube, changed fuel filter, inspected plugs,
inspected/replaced water pump rotor, reflashed computer with 3 updates. No
comment about any other adjustments or replacements or deflector pins. "See you
in three more years"

Then it was the reflash.

Mine is being done this week along with a new hardtop for my T-top. I
have a 2006 200 HO which is the 90 degree block. Originally, I had a
clock problem - the clock would reset itself to zero after a couple of
hours. Turns out, the reflash when I bought the engine was the wrong
software package (60 degree instead of 90 degree) - confused the hell
out of the computer. :)

Once they straightened that out, Whoo Hoo!!

Ah - well - back to the prop.

Originally I had a 20" shaft 200 FICHT, 14.5/21p prop that the boat
came with. It worked great. Then I bought the ETEC as a repower and
put a 14.5/19p prop three blade - that worked fine, but I felt I
wasn't getting the same "bite" - my dealer's tech recommended I try a
four blade and the difference was amazing.

I can top end out at 55 and cruise very comfortably 3.8/4K rpm at 32
mph.

Glad to see another ETEC owner hanging around. :)

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:34:02 -0400, HK wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:37:11 -0000, "KØHB"

If I were you, I might consider SS four blade - your top end will stay
about the same, but oh my gosh, the acceleration is outstanding.
I'm currently running a 3-blade Viper SS, 19 pitch.

Do what I did - stick with the same pitch only four blade.

Out of curiosity, how old is your engine? I just heard something
today kind of interesting - they changed the deflector pins in certain
2006 engines - don't know if the 90 was covered in the change.

That could account for the increase in performance also.

Deflector pins? What, please, are these, and what do they do?

They are deflector pins and they deflect.

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:34:02 -0400, HK wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:37:11 -0000, "KØHB"

If I were you, I might consider SS four blade - your top end will stay
about the same, but oh my gosh, the acceleration is outstanding.
I'm currently running a 3-blade Viper SS, 19 pitch.

Do what I did - stick with the same pitch only four blade.

Out of curiosity, how old is your engine? I just heard something
today kind of interesting - they changed the deflector pins in certain
2006 engines - don't know if the 90 was covered in the change.

That could account for the increase in performance also.

Deflector pins? What, please, are these, and what do they do?

They are deflector pins and they deflect.

Front or read deflector shield. Oops. You said pins.

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:25:11 -0400, HK wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:34:02 -0400, HK wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:37:11 -0000, "KØHB"

If I were you, I might consider SS four blade - your top end will stay
about the same, but oh my gosh, the acceleration is outstanding.
I'm currently running a 3-blade Viper SS, 19 pitch.
Do what I did - stick with the same pitch only four blade.

Out of curiosity, how old is your engine? I just heard something
today kind of interesting - they changed the deflector pins in certain
2006 engines - don't know if the 90 was covered in the change.

That could account for the increase in performance also.
Deflector pins? What, please, are these, and what do they do?

They are deflector pins and they deflect.

Ahhhhhhh.

Actually, it's my turn to look stupid.

I meant to say diffuser pins.

Sorry.

etec 90 HP 2006 z1r1200cc General 5 February 26th 08 01:02 AM
New 300 HP Etec Chuck Gould General 0 January 24th 08 05:54 PM
ETEC country Don White General 0 October 30th 07 11:20 PM
Etec-60 Heads Up Vic Smith General 2 March 22nd 07 10:28 PM
ETEC Performance Info Butch Davis General 17 February 27th 06 08:05 AM