Default Tolman to Bimini?

I've been wanting to sail to teh Bahamas from NW FL (near Carabelle)
but I realize that maybe a power boat would be better. I could
trailer my 20' Tolman Standard to Miami and then take her across to
Bimini. The Tolman would give better access to the cool places with
shallow water than the sailboat. I have outfitted the Tolman with a
full enclosure (removable) for camping. I have a 90 hp Yamaha and 9.9
hp backup.
However, the Tolman has only a 12.5 degree deadrise so she does pound
in any chop. The advice I see on the web is to go in Summer due to
low seas but being a FL native I know Summer is miserably hot and
would prefer Spring.
Bimini is only 48 nm from Miami and from there most runs are short.
It is the 48 nm run across the Gulf Stream that concerns me in the
Tolman. What do y'all think?

On Jun 15, 8:35 pm, wrote:
I've been wanting to sail to teh Bahamas from NW FL (near Carabelle)
but I realize that maybe a power boat would be better. I could
trailer my 20' Tolman Standard to Miami and then take her across to
Bimini. The Tolman would give better access to the cool places with
shallow water than the sailboat. I have outfitted the Tolman with a
full enclosure (removable) for camping. I have a 90 hp Yamaha and 9.9
hp backup.
However, the Tolman has only a 12.5 degree deadrise so she does pound
in any chop. The advice I see on the web is to go in Summer due to
low seas but being a FL native I know Summer is miserably hot and
would prefer Spring.
Bimini is only 48 nm from Miami and from there most runs are short.
It is the 48 nm run across the Gulf Stream that concerns me in the
Tolman. What do y'all think?

For those who think the 90 hp is too small for the 20' Tolman need to
realize that she weighs about half of what a normal glass boat weighs
(and gets amazing fuel economy). However, this means she gets shoved
around by seas too. The 90 hp with 9.9 kicker is actually more than
the designer (Renn Tolman) specified for transom weight but I balanced
it by putting the batteries in front of the console (with expensive 00
gage tinned battery wire).
HK HK is offline

wrote:
I've been wanting to sail to teh Bahamas from NW FL (near Carabelle)
but I realize that maybe a power boat would be better. I could
trailer my 20' Tolman Standard to Miami and then take her across to
Bimini. The Tolman would give better access to the cool places with
shallow water than the sailboat. I have outfitted the Tolman with a
full enclosure (removable) for camping. I have a 90 hp Yamaha and 9.9
hp backup.
However, the Tolman has only a 12.5 degree deadrise so she does pound
in any chop. The advice I see on the web is to go in Summer due to
low seas but being a FL native I know Summer is miserably hot and
would prefer Spring.
Bimini is only 48 nm from Miami and from there most runs are short.
It is the 48 nm run across the Gulf Stream that concerns me in the
Tolman. What do y'all think?

It's a risky trip in any 20' boat. If you decide you have to do it, try
to accompany a small flotilla of boats so that if you have a problem,
help is within close sight.

I used to go as far as 20-25 miles out into the Atlantic from St.
Augustine and Jacksonville on occasion in an 18' outboard boat, but I
never went out there as a single boat.

People attempt that trip you have in mind frequently. Most make it, but
some do not.

Do you have a decent chart, GPS and compass? Bimini is not a large
target. Using the chart from the local seafood restaurant is not
advisable! :)

Senior Member

On Jun 15, 8:44*pm, wrote:
On Jun 15, 8:35 pm, wrote:

[...]

I can't answer your question but I will not that even though you have
balanced it, you have still changed the configuration and how it will
act in the water. Being a Tolman you probably have some room to play,
those are great boats from what I can see... I have never been in one,
or gone to Bimini

On Jun 15, 8:51 pm, wrote:
On Jun 15, 8:44 pm, wrote:

On Jun 15, 8:35 pm, wrote:

[...]

HK, et. al.:

I am somewhat obsessive about navigation and still use paper charts.
Most of my navigation is done by compass and DR being a longtime
sailor and I do have a GPS and would get a backup one (I do have
mounted and hand held VHF) and a I have a newish personal EPIRB I
bought for some of my single handed sailing trips.
Finding a flotilla to go over with may not be a problem but coming
back it might be a problem. I would probably be spending more than a
few days that most people would so hooking up with a coming back
flotilla might be tough. Also, considerign that the Tolman pounds in
chop due to the small deadrise (I may be able to deal with this by
holding the bow down), I may have to go slower than boats with deeper
V.

On Jun 15, 9:08 pm, wrote:
On Jun 15, 8:51 pm, wrote:

On Jun 15, 8:44 pm, wrote:

On Jun 15, 8:35 pm, wrote:

[...]

When I consider the safety of going in the Tolman vs the 28' Sailboat,
I have to conclude that the Tolman could be safer because it allow me
to seek shelter in bad weather whereas the sailboat with nearly 4'
draft (and max speed of 6 kts) does not. The trip to Bimini in the
sailboat would take about 10 hours while int he Tolman maybe 4 hours,
a big diff. Do I dare ask this group about relative safety of sail vs
power for such a trip?

wrote in message
On Jun 15, 9:08 pm, wrote:
On Jun 15, 8:51 pm, wrote:

On Jun 15, 8:44 pm, wrote:

On Jun 15, 8:35 pm, wrote:

[...]

I'd feel a lot safer in most 28 foot sailboats vs an open power boat.
If bad weather did kick up you would have a better chance of riding it out.

Bimini top Linwood General 5 June 18th 07 12:52 AM
Bimini top FREDO General 27 August 16th 06 06:05 AM
Slow progress on the Tolman [email protected] Boat Building 3 January 29th 06 03:55 AM
Delays in building the Tolman Skiff [email protected] Boat Building 0 December 5th 05 03:34 AM
Tolman Skiff [email protected] Boat Building 1 November 14th 05 02:20 AM