Default Around the Horn

Also read the "Fatal Storm" about the Hobart Sydney race. Also a good read.
Bill

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 May 2008 11:07:34 -0400, John H.
wrote:

I guess if one were in a much smaller boat, like a 25'er, one would just
stay on the crest of one of those waves and ride it out.

Until you get caught in the curl and it breaks down on you, or you go
flying off the front edge into the trough. If you haven't done so
already, go read the "Perfect Storm", the book not the movie. There
is almost an entire chapter devoted to all of the ways you can sink a
boat in a storm.

wrote in message
Man, to keep this in perspective, this is a freakin' aircraft carrier!
I know that there used to be someone here who claimed to have piloted
a boat around the horn, but to drench the bow of an aircraft carrier
is something else!

http://www.break.com/index/giant-wav...t-carrier.html

My school roommate was on the Carrier Bonne Homme Richard in a Cyclone in
the South Pacific when the waves bent the front of the deck. He said they
had green water rolling down the deck. He felt sorry for the DE's with them
as they disappeared completely at times. As well as what could they get to
eat. He said they could at least have coffee and sandwiches on the carrier.

writes:

Man, to keep this in perspective, this is a freakin' aircraft carrier!
I know that there used to be someone here who claimed to have piloted
a boat around the horn, but to drench the bow of an aircraft carrier
is something else!

http://www.break.com/index/giant-wav...t-carrier.html

Once upon a time (late 1980s) when rec.boats was actually a boating
(read sailing) forum and was to an impressive degree frequented by people
with real nautical experience (multiple Round the World Races, Navy...)
someone started a bragging match: "Who has been through the worst
storm at sea?"

The guy who 'won' had serviced on a nuclear air craft carrier
(Nimitz type of thing) and on the way into Japan they were over-
run by this typhoon and got pooped several times.

--
Martin Schöön "Problems worthy of attack
show their worth by hitting back."
HK HK is offline

Martin Schöön wrote:
writes:

Man, to keep this in perspective, this is a freakin' aircraft carrier!
I know that there used to be someone here who claimed to have piloted
a boat around the horn, but to drench the bow of an aircraft carrier
is something else!

http://www.break.com/index/giant-wav...t-carrier.html

Once upon a time (late 1980s) when rec.boats was actually a boating
(read sailing) forum and was to an impressive degree frequented by people
with real nautical experience (multiple Round the World Races, Navy...)
someone started a bragging match: "Who has been through the worst
storm at sea?"

The guy who 'won' had serviced on a nuclear air craft carrier
(Nimitz type of thing) and on the way into Japan they were over-
run by this typhoon and got pooped several times.

rec.boats is mostly populated by non-boaters these days, by boating
nincompoops who, for example, ask which brand of high-tech two cycle
outboard oil would be the best to use in their four cycle outboard, and
by amateur guitar players, amateur beer brewers, old farts who think
they had something to do with the production of grandchildren, golfers
who shoot in the 90s, and an absolute idiot who pretends he is a
construction engineer but who knows nothing about construction or
engineering.

Some of us just come here for the unintentional humor the idiots post.

On May 19, 2:39*pm, HK wrote:
Martin Schöön wrote:
writes:

[...]

Some of us just come here for the unintentional humor the idiots post.- Hide quoted text -

Harry, tell us about your experience rounding the horn.
What do you have against people who try to use their minds for things
like learning new hobbies, or those who like to get out and get a
little exercise? I've never, ever told anyone here I was a
"construction engineer", that is just another of your lies. Go back to
Chuck's and do your petty childish name calling over there.

On Mon, 19 May 2008 12:20:39 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On May 19, 2:39*pm, HK wrote:
Martin Schöön wrote:
writes:

[...]

Please, let's all promise to ignore him.
--
John *H*

On Mon, 19 May 2008 19:16:50 +0200, (Martin Schöön)
wrote:

writes:

Man, to keep this in perspective, this is a freakin' aircraft carrier!
I know that there used to be someone here who claimed to have piloted
a boat around the horn, but to drench the bow of an aircraft carrier
is something else!

http://www.break.com/index/giant-wav...t-carrier.html

Once upon a time (late 1980s) when rec.boats was actually a boating
(read sailing) forum and was to an impressive degree frequented by people
with real nautical experience (multiple Round the World Races, Navy...)
someone started a bragging match: "Who has been through the worst
storm at sea?"

The guy who 'won' had serviced on a nuclear air craft carrier
(Nimitz type of thing) and on the way into Japan they were over-
run by this typhoon and got pooped several times.

You may be thinking of rec.boats.cruising, which has a lot of sailor types
thereon.
--
John *H*

wrote:

Once upon a time (late 1980s) when rec.boats was actually a boating
(read sailing) forum and was to an impressive degree frequented by people
with real nautical experience (multiple Round the World Races, Navy...)
someone started a bragging match: "Who has been through the worst
storm at sea?"

The guy who 'won' had serviced on a nuclear air craft carrier
(Nimitz type of thing) and on the way into Japan they were over-
run by this typhoon and got pooped several times.

You may be thinking of rec.boats.cruising, which has a lot of sailor types
thereon.

Nope, this was before rec.boats got 'branches', if memory serves.
I have never attended r.b.c.

We had a 'club pendant' (is that the word??) designed and someone
working at the linear particle accelerator in Stanford printed and sold
t-shirts---I still have one.

We had rec.boats 'summit' dinner at one of the yacht clubs to the
north of S.F. (no not Sausolito, the name eludes me) in mid-June
1997.

There was a list of people willing to host (take for a sail)
rec.boaters on the road. I got out sailing on the S.F. Bay
and Chesapeake Bay that way. I took a guy from N.Y. sailing on
my cat here in Sweden.

We have 'moved on' since those days.

--
Martin Schöön "Problems worthy of attack
show their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein
DK DK is offline

wrote:
Man, to keep this in perspective, this is a freakin' aircraft carrier!
I know that there used to be someone here who claimed to have piloted
a boat around the horn, but to drench the bow of an aircraft carrier
is something else!

http://www.break.com/index/giant-wav...t-carrier.html

I wonder how well those jets handle that kind of sal****er bath?

12v air horn-I want it loud TORMAC53 Boat Building 8 February 12th 05 05:26 AM
Blaster Horn? Richard Ferguson Touring 9 February 11th 05 03:27 PM
I want to Try on a WS Cape Horn C Mark Blatchley Touring 1 August 9th 04 04:09 AM
Air Horn James MacPhie Cruising 6 December 10th 03 06:10 PM
warning horn tcoop General 18 October 29th 03 03:04 AM