TORMAC53

Default 12v air horn-I want it loud

I have to replace my compressor driven-12v horn. I would like to get as much
"ship" sound as I can for 15 amps of 12volt. Any suggestions?
e.grant

You just need a bigger compressor, a resevoir, and a big Buell or Stromberg
air horn from a fire engine. They're "tunable" and put out about 112-115db.
minimum. Loud enough? We took a scuba bottle, second staged it to 120psi
and put it in a canoe for Harborfest in Norfolk VA one year till the cops
ran us off. Or was it the black powder cannon that got us run off?...
"TORMAC53" wrote in message
I have to replace my compressor driven-12v horn. I would like to get as
much
"ship" sound as I can for 15 amps of 12volt. Any suggestions?

Roger Derby

It's possible that I'm misreading this, and I'm not sure if anyone but the
US CGA would bother you, but I think you might need a longer boat to use a
really low frequency tone which lacks strength in the frequencies above 180
Hz.
**********************************
From the International Collision Regulations:
ANNEX III Technical details of sound signal appliances
1. Whistles:
Paragraph (a) is amended to read as follows:
(a) Frequencies and range of audibility
The fundamental frequency of the signal shall lie within the range 70-700Hz.
The range of audibility of the signal from a whistle shall be determined by
those frequencies, which may include the fundamental and/or one or more
higher frequencies, which lie within the range 180-700Hz (+/-1%) for a
vessel of 20 metres or more in length, or
180-2100Hz (+/-1%) for a vessel of less than 20 metres in length
and which provide the sound pressure levels specified in paragraph l(c)
below.
**************************************
Roger

http://derbyrm.mystarband.net/default.htm
"TORMAC53" wrote in message
I have to replace my compressor driven-12v horn. I would like to get as
much
"ship" sound as I can for 15 amps of 12volt. Any suggestions?

diaphone

I have to replace my compressor driven-12v horn. I would like to get
as much
"ship" sound as I can for 15 amps of 12volt. Any suggestions?

Your requirements don't make sense. An electric horn that runs from
12VDC and draws only 15 amps is going to be significantly LESS loud
than an air horn--even those little plastic air horns with on-demand
vane compressor (5psi) are louder than any electric horn. What you need
is a 12V piston-type compressor, small tank and proper air horn. For a
nice deep tone the Grover 33" and 37.5" organtone horns are a good
choice and they're affordable (about $90 per horn). They are truck
horns, but all brass and chromed so they will hold up fine on at sea.
Look at http://www.groverairhorns.com for horns and compressor setups.
That site is for a popular reseller, for the company site see
groverproducts.com.

If you absolutely need the loudest electric horn money can buy, the
only option is finding a used Federal Signal "Traffic Blaster". But
don't expect air-horn class loudness, I didn't even need earmuffs when
I tested these horns.

-Adam

Brian D

How about this one:

http://www.shipstore.com/ss/html/AFI/AFI10104.html

No reservoir tank required. Small pump. Puts out 126 db at 1 meter and
meets all International Maritime Organization requirements for
anti-collision horns on boats less than 20 meters (65') in length. Price is
reasonable at approx. $150. It draws 20A rather than only 15A, but for
short duration use as required for signalling, your 15A system can probably
handle it, or fire it directly off the batteries rather than the motor's
output. Let the motor charge the batteries. This is the one that I'll put
on my boat when it's done.

Brian D

"diaphone" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

rhys

On 10 Feb 2005 16:16:11 -0800, "diaphone" wrote:

If you absolutely need the loudest electric horn money can buy, the
only option is finding a used Federal Signal "Traffic Blaster". But
don't expect air-horn class loudness, I didn't even need earmuffs when
I tested these horns.

You could buy a rechargable bike horn ($15) that is easily as loud as
the "sports fan horns". It compresses on a standard Schrader valve on
a gas station air pump to about 80 PSI and lasts longer than I've ever
needed it to. Quite compact, too, and if you use it on a bike, it will
clear an intersection or break thru a car window and past some
mega-bass hip hop to attract the attention of some addled driver.

R.
diaphone

Brian D wrote:
How about this one:

http://www.shipstore.com/ss/html/AFI/AFI10104.html

No reservoir tank required. Small pump. Puts out 126 db at 1 meter

and
meets all International Maritime Organization requirements for
anti-collision horns on boats less than 20 meters (65') in length.

Price is
reasonable at approx. $150.

As I understood it, this is exactly the type that the original poster
is seeking a replacement for! 126dB @ 1 meter is also certainly an
exaggeration for this horn. Those little vane air compressors top out
at about 5-7 psi, which is not going to get you to 126dB. I believe
that this same horn can probably achieve 126dB @ 1m, but only if run
from a small air tank with higher supply pressure.

-Adam

diaphone

Yes, these rechargeable horns are very cool. Some are made to fit a
standard 16 oz soda bottle (to fit in the water bottle cage). You can
increase toot capacity by using a 1-liter bottle instead, but don't go
to a larger diameter bottle like a 2 or 3 liter as the burst pressure
drops with diameter but total energy stored goes way up. A 2 liter will
burst at around 160 to 180 psi with devastating force (and a report
like a car backfiring).

-Adam