William K. Spence, Ph.D.

Default Awesome photos of Cape Horn (from on top) and the Beagle Channel

First, if you're a sailor and you've ever REALLY wanted to feel alive, take
a trip like this. Your perspective on life will change
For you've ever wanted to sail around Cape Horn or through the Beagle
Channel, take a look at www.manboat.com to see some incredible photos. Many
of these could be made into posters. If you check the links (on the left)
you will see some spectacular shots taken in the Beagle Channel that you
won't find anywhere else on this planet.
During this trip, there were times when we wondered what the hell we were
thinking or drinking when we left our relatively safe anchorage and found
that we were being blasted by horizontal wind and water in 30+ ft seas and
winds upwards of 60 knots. We had to postpone the rounding for one day
because Cape Horn was registering 75 knot "breezes." Many of the shots on
the www.manboat.com were taken during our delay from the top of Hermit
Island (about 22 miles WNW of Cape Horn). Check the photo on the top right
of the homepage where the sun is trying to break through. Click on it to
supersize. Pretty awe inspiring, huh? As I find time, I'm going to put
some audio of the trip and a Video taken during the sail around Cape Horn on
the site -- if anyone is interested.
By the way, when you're in 8 to 12 meter seas and 60+ knot winds, you
can't keep the boat within 30 degrees of a heading. Nor can you look to
windward. Nor can you hear anything except screaming, howling wind with the
sound and feel of something like birdshot hitting your foul weather gear.
There are a lot of links on the page, but the ones on the left are pretty
descriptive.
If there's enough interest in the photos I'll put up several hundred more
along with the audio and video clips. The audio is really pretty interesting
since it was captured at various periods of the trip. You can hear what
happens when a Williwaw hits. All I've read about them turns out to be
real -- during one five minute period I was standing on deck in 5 knot winds
and two minutes later we had 70 knot winds ... and we were on the leeward
side of a 1500' island. I suddenly understood what Joshua Slocum meant when
he said that a tree would have to be all roots to grow in that area.
For those who notice, some of the photos from the top of Cape Horn are
reversed (courtesy of the developer). I've flipped most of them around, but
just so you'll know, the 100' high slab that has split off and stands apart
should be on the left (or southern) side of the photo.
Was it fun? YES, it was awesome! Was it dangerous? Well . . . no more than
riding a motor scooter on an LA Freeway. Was it worth it? God, YES! For a
sailor it was the trip of a lifetime. Life has never felt so good as it does
when you're looking it straight in the eye.
I want to go back!
Hope you enjoy the site,
Spence

Simple Simon

http://www.manboat.com/Key%20West%20...ama%20City.htm

Should have guessed it - a couple more faggots. Pretty soon
they will have taken over here. We already have Booby, Ganz,
DSK, Shen44, Morris, otnmbrd, Stevie, Loco, Oz1, Donal,
the Carrolls, and these are just the ones who have come out.

S.Simon

"William K. Spence, Ph.D." wrote in message news:Xrt_a.137059$uu5.19812@sccrnsc04...
[...]

John Cairns

Ah, don't know how to break the news to you, but you're about 6 months late.
If you did this 18 months ago, why didn't you post the pics back then? Nice
to have a website, but are you selling this trip, or did you sail on someone
else's boat? If you sailed on someone else's boat, why didn't you mention
the name anywhere? Nice pics, though.
http://community.webshots.com/album/64719136UJnEWv
http://community.webshots.com/album/82970098IXeuDz

John Cairns

[...]

William K. Spence, Ph.D.

Simple,
Three points should be made he First, if you're having an identity
problem, don't broadcast it to everyone in the group because no one cares.
Second, get some help. Third, upgrade your vocabulary and try to 1.) think
and 2.) act like someone from a civilized part of the world.
Spence

[...]

John Cairns

Yeah, I sailed with Henk also, was a great trip. Would be greatly interested
in seeing your pics, as I'm sure most of the folks here would. I used a
digital with a handful of 35 mm from a waterproof cam, I inadvertently
erased a whole flashcard worth of images from our last stop, I believe it
was Wollaston, still haven't figured out how I erased the images. Ignore
that commentary from what's his name, post up more pics.
John Cairns
"William K. Spence, Ph.D." wrote in message
John,

I put the site up in July of 2001, a couple of months after returning from
Ushuaia simply to have a place to document that trip and others that I

have
made. you could have found it using Google. Would have put it up earlier,
but immediately after returning, I spent about three weeks sailing my

boat,
the Wild Goose, to Key West, the Dry Tortugas, and then back to Panama

City.
That trip is also documented on the site (the two "Log of the Wild Goose"
links).

As for the timing of the post, I rarely check the news groups unless I'm
looking for information. I made the post the post a few days ago simply to
see if anyone was interested in seeing photos of Cape Horn and the Beagle
Channel because I thought they were worth seeing.

If you read any of the commentary, you'll see that I do mention that this
was a charter and that there were five of us: the owner and captain of the
Sarah Vorwerk, Henk Boersma; my daughter, Tiffany Hanson; Edith, an

Austrian
woman; and Klaus, a German fellow. The site was not to promote this
particular charter captain, although I highly recommend him and his boat.

I also have a video of our sail around Cape Horn taken by Klaus and

provided
to me for reproduction and shipping costs. I had planned to put it on the
site, not for me to watch, but to share some sense of what it is like to

be
there in person. Since I made the post, I've had some good feedback and a
couple of strange comments which, frankly, appear to come from someone

with
an identity pathology.

RE my boat: Although the Wild Goose is classified as an Ocean Racer (on

old
Morgan O/R 45), and has proven to hold up well in really bad weather and

big
seas, it would be foolhardy to take it to that part of the world without
understanding the dangers down there. The Wild Goose is built like a tank,
but it is also made of fiberglass. The Sarah Vorwerk was steel -- and we

did
hit a few rocks and little bergs that would do serious damage to a
fiberglass hull but did nothing to the Sarah V. Also, after running the
gauntlet of breakers and current a couple of times to get through a few
narrow channels to the Southern Ocean, I was damned glad we had a steel

boat
and a 140 hp engine with a 30" prop. Although, if you hit the rocks (which
is all there is adjacent to the Southern Ocean) it wouldn't make much
difference what you were in, your ass would be under water in short order.

Best regards,

Spence

Simple Simon

"Wild Goose" indeed. If that isn't a faggot name for a boat
there never was one. But, it's the photos of you with your
arms around your boyfriend that undeniably prove your
deviance. We don't want it here.

S.Simon

P.S. I don't take advice from queers.

"William K. Spence." wrote in message news:n99%a.150053$o%2.64083@sccrnsc02...
Simple,
Three points should be made he First, if you're having an identity
problem, don't broadcast it to everyone in the group because no one cares.
Second, get some help. Third, upgrade your vocabulary and try to 1.) think
and 2.) act like someone from a civilized part of the world.
Spence

Bertie the Bunyip

"Simple Simon" wrote in
:

"Wild Goose" indeed. If that isn't a faggot name for a boat
there never was one.

Ooohh.

Issues.

Bertie
Donal

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"Simple Simon" wrote in
:

"Wild Goose" indeed. If that isn't a faggot name for a boat
there never was one.

Ooohh.

Tissues.

Bertie

Careful with your spelling, Bretie.

Regards

Donal

Donal

"William K. Spence, Ph.D." wrote in message
snip
As for the timing of the post, I rarely check the news groups unless I'm
looking for information. I made the post the post a few days ago simply to
see if anyone was interested in seeing photos of Cape Horn and the Beagle
Channel because I thought they were worth seeing.

Ignore Simple Simon. He is an idiot who used to be quite witty.

Most of the photos were good,.... and a couple were truly awesome. I've
downloaded them, and I hope to print them.

I, for one, would be grateful if you would let us know when you add more
photos.

Regards

Donal