tcoop

Default warning horn

Can someone tell me if this is a warning horn, and if so, is there a way I
can test it?
http://coopscorner.com/takealook/warninghorn.htm
This is on a Hydra pontoon boat, which they don't make any more.
Thanks,
Tom

Joe Blizzard

"tcoop" wrote
Can someone tell me if this is a warning horn
http://coopscorner.com/takealook/warninghorn.htm

Looks like a horn to me.

and if so, is there a way I can test it?

Apply 12VDC to the terminals. If it makes noise, it's working. (If it makes
smoke, maybe it wasn't a horn after all.)

Florida Keyz

Looks like the buzzer used to alert of Over heat, or low oil, etc,
Tony Thomas

Looks to me like the horn for the boat itself (like a car horn). Not the
alarm for the engine. What is it wired to. I would assume the horn
switch/button. The warning alarm for the engine is usually a small black
round device about the size of a 1/2 dollar. Some are wired under the dash
and others are wired inside the control box. The alarm should operate when
the key is turned to the ignition position but prior to cranking the engine.
If it does not, have it checked or replaced.

--
Tony
my boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"tcoop" wrote in message
. ..
Can someone tell me if this is a warning horn, and if so, is there a way I
can test it?
http://coopscorner.com/takealook/warninghorn.htm
This is on a Hydra pontoon boat, which they don't make any more.
Thanks,
Tom

tcoop

After looking a little closer, I think your right about it maybe being the
actual boat horn. I read that the warning horn maybe under the dash on some
boats and I was hoping that was it. I was told that going into some of the
control boxes can be a tricky job due to all the wires. I really couldn't
tell where the wires for that horn go, but i feel like it is indeed the boat
horn.
You said the alarm should work when the ignition is in the on position,
prior to the cranking position. I don't quite understand what you are
talking about. Wouldn't it sound off when the engine was started? Did i
mention that I was new to boating and this is my first boat? So sorry for
maybe not understanding everything that I should, but I will learn it...:-)
Thanks for your time and your help.
Tom

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
Looks to me like the horn for the boat itself (like a car horn). Not the
alarm for the engine. What is it wired to. I would assume the horn
switch/button. The warning alarm for the engine is usually a small black
round device about the size of a 1/2 dollar. Some are wired under the

dash
and others are wired inside the control box. The alarm should operate

when
the key is turned to the ignition position but prior to cranking the

engine.
If it does not, have it checked or replaced.

--
Tony
my boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"tcoop" wrote in message
. ..
Can someone tell me if this is a warning horn, and if so, is there a way

can test it?
http://coopscorner.com/takealook/warninghorn.htm
This is on a Hydra pontoon boat, which they don't make any more.
Thanks,
Tom

Richard Malcolm

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message news:47%mb.38895$e01.85121@attbi_s02...
Looks to me like the horn for the boat itself (like a car horn).

this may sound stupid, but why not put your ear there and blow your
horn and see if that is where the sound is comming from. that way you
can eliminate or confirm that it is the boat horn.
my experience with hot horns (and it is not worth much) is that on
some boats they go off for a second when you start the boat, like the
lights on your car dashboard to show that they still work, and on some
boats the hot horn only goes off when your engine is overheating.
my other question is, if you can not trace a colored wire back to it's
source, why do you want to know what it is? remember murphy's law
about if it ain't broke, don't fix it. you must be like me, I can't
help myself, always wanting to learn about things, but not really
there yet. good luck and enjoy boating along with the rest of us.
Paul

Well I would recommend that maybe you don't put your ear there. Just put
your finger on it, that should do. You'll feel the vibration.

In order to test the alarms on my engines I need to leave the keys in the on
positions but *not* start the engines. After a few minutes the alarm will
sound.

"Richard Malcolm" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Thomas

When you first turn the ignition on, the engine warning horn should sound to
indicate it is working properly. If not, then it may not be working. What
engine do you have and what year.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"tcoop" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"tcoop" wrote in message
. ..
Can someone tell me if this is a warning horn, and if so, is there a

way
can test it?
http://coopscorner.com/takealook/warninghorn.htm
This is on a Hydra pontoon boat, which they don't make any more.
Thanks,
Tom

Gould 0738

The warning horns on my last three boats would go on only after the
ignition switch was on (engine not started) for 20-45 seconds or so.
Not right away.

Hmmm. If you lost all oil pressure, would it take 20-45 seconds for suich a
system to sound off? I think you'd be stopped dead in the water by or about
then.