HK HK is offline

Default As much as I like Windoze...

....if I were starting over, or as a newbie, I'd go with the Apple stuff.
It's simply far more elegant, and the level of tech support available
from some of the smaller vendors who supply Mac software is incredible.
I was trying to set up a popular backup program for the Mac, not the one
that comes with it, and I actually got emails of help from the author of
the program.

But it is the well-engineered (and overpriced!) hardware that I really like.

"hk" wrote in message
. ..
...if I were starting over, or as a newbie, I'd go with the Apple stuff.
It's simply far more elegant, and the level of tech support available from
some of the smaller vendors who supply Mac software is incredible. I was
trying to set up a popular backup program for the Mac, not the one that
comes with it, and I actually got emails of help from the author of the
program.

But it is the well-engineered (and overpriced!) hardware that I really
like.

The original Mac's were some of the slickest looking systems, with some of
the crappiest engineering inside of all systems! No parity on major busses,
minimal power supply, that hardly provided enough power for the system as it
was. Maybe the newer ones are better engineered, but I would not bet on it.
The user interface is very nice, but PARC research center should have
patented it.

HK HK is offline

CalifBill wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'm not talking about "the original" Macs from 25 years ago. Maybe you
should get out for a look see.

Crikey.
HK HK is offline

CalifBill wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
CalifBill wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

They are not the 25 year old systems, but is from the same culture.

What? Oh...you don't like the "Mac Culture." What's your take on the
*current* engineering in the Macs? You do know that many of the working
pieces and parts are the same as what is in a PC, right?

I'm not at all familiar with the "Mac Culture." But I do like the Mac
stores at the malls, and before I got my new Mac laptop, I looked
through the product lines of at least a half dozen "PC" laptop vendors.
I had been using a rock-solid IBM branded Thinkpad T23, but Lenovo is
now a communist chinese enterprise.

wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:01:28 -0400, hk wrote:

...if I were starting over, or as a newbie, I'd go with the Apple stuff.
It's simply far more elegant, and the level of tech support available
from some of the smaller vendors who supply Mac software is incredible.
I was trying to set up a popular backup program for the Mac, not the one
that comes with it, and I actually got emails of help from the author of
the program.

But it is the well-engineered (and overpriced!) hardware that I really
like.

I hate Windoze but if you are willing to live a generation off the
bleediung edge you can have virtually free computing. XP systems are
pretty much junk on the side of the road these days although they are
still very functional. I am still managing to get everything done I
want to do with W/98 but I did build a faster machine pretty cheap
from parts on the internet.

Problem with W98 is some of the applications II had to run would not run
under 98. I think Matlab and Orcad versions I ran were the main culpits.

HK HK is offline

CalifBill wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
CalifBill wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
CalifBill wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I know lots of parts are the same as PC's. Hell the disk drives that I
designed were used in Mac's. Same drive as the rest except for a little
firmware change to say it was apple and then Apple would accept the drive.
Bought from Apple for 2x what the same drive sold for from everyone else.
Mac Culture if it is the same as the original Mac would say that go for the
look and feel and forget about the extra cost to design with great error
checking.

Well, I am a pretty careful shopper. As I said, I checked a number of
new laptops first. Of all the ones I saw in the same approximate price
range as the MacBook I got, the MacBook seemed superior in ways that
were important to me: well-designed, sturdy, good screen, good package
of included software, decent-sized hard drive, long life on batteries,
decent keyboard, et cetera. The fact that it runs XP and VISTA via a
pretty slick emulator closed the deal for me, along with the 10% discount.

I also like the fact that the Apple stores have resident "Geeks" around
who seem to know their stuff and are willing to help, right on the spot.
Better than calling someone in India, eh?

"HK" wrote in message
. ..
CalifBill wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
CalifBill wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
CalifBill wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Emulator?

HK HK is offline

D.Duck wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
CalifBill wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
CalifBill wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
CalifBill wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"Virtualizer" would have been a better choice of words.

I'm using "VM Fusion" on my mac:

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

Whatever the hell you call it, it seems to work very well. :)

For Windoze Fans Only HK General 6 April 10th 08 02:27 AM
Tired of Windoze? hk General 0 March 28th 08 09:27 PM
Morons that rant about new versions of Windoze jamesgangnc[_2_] General 34 March 26th 08 04:48 PM
Safari windoze browser Gordon Cruising 0 June 12th 07 05:22 PM