Tim Tim is offline

Default West Marine going down the tube?

Not sure but for all I know, it looks like they may tank...

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0080326?rpc=44

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 16:56:02 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

Not sure but for all I know, it looks like they may tank...

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0080326?rpc=44

I hope not. I've got one about three miles away that I use frequently. I'm
going to pick up my boat in two weeks, and I'll need the lines, anchor
rode, life vests, etc.
--
John *H*
(Not the other one!)

wrote:

Not sure but for all I know, it looks like they may tank...

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0080326?rpc=44

Ug Gah Lee.

wrote:

Not sure but for all I know, it looks like they may tank...

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0080326?rpc=44

Ug Gah Lee.

Tom, do you know anything about these auto pfd's?

http://tinyurl.com/2vtpbt

That seems like a pretty good price.
--
John *H*
(Not the other one!)
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

Not sure but for all I know, it looks like they may tank...

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0080326?rpc=44

Ug Gah Lee.

Tom, do you know anything about these auto pfd's?

http://tinyurl.com/2vtpbt

That seems like a pretty good price.
--
John *H*
(Not the other one!)

LOL! John, I like how they say your *$aving* 80+ bucks each when other
online stores have them for at least the same amount.

Sales gimmicks, you gotta love 'em!

wrote:

Not sure but for all I know, it looks like they may tank...

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0080326?rpc=44

Ug Gah Lee.

Tom, do you know anything about these auto pfd's?

http://tinyurl.com/2vtpbt

That seems like a pretty good price.

I'm not familiar with this brand = I have Mustang auto-pfds and love
'em. Being a larger size human being, I found them to be the more
comfortable than the Stearns.

I also have an Orca jacket and a Mustang Jacket that are very nice in
colder weather.

As to personal experience with them, I can attest to the fact that
they work and work well. :)

wrote:

Not sure but for all I know, it looks like they may tank...

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0080326?rpc=44

Ug Gah Lee.

Tom, do you know anything about these auto pfd's?

http://tinyurl.com/2vtpbt

That seems like a pretty good price.

I'm not familiar with this brand = I have Mustang auto-pfds and love
'em. Being a larger size human being, I found them to be the more
comfortable than the Stearns.

I also have an Orca jacket and a Mustang Jacket that are very nice in
colder weather.

As to personal experience with them, I can attest to the fact that
they work and work well. :)

Thanks.
--
John *H*
(Not the other one!)

wrote:

Not sure but for all I know, it looks like they may tank...

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0080326?rpc=44

They are just another "brick and mortar" that is getting killed by
competiton from big boxes for common stuff and the internet for
specialties.
The last few times I walked around West Marine they were deserted. I
was the only person in the store. They just opened a Bass Pro Shop
here that going to kill the fishing tackle places too (along with boat
stores).

That's not necessarily true. There are things at local shops you
can't get at Bass Pro and the personal service makes up for a lot. I
buy a lot of my fluke rigs at Hillyer's in Niantic, Ocean State Tackle
in Warwick, RI or Schaffer's in Mystic. You can't get live or dead
bait at Bass Pro and why drive to Gillette Stadium just to go fishing?

As to price, on major brands, Bass Pro is priced within .10¢ of the
local shops - at least for things like plastic lures, plugs, line,
etc. You can buy the same Ugly Stick (the only fishing rod worth the
name) for the same price at a local shop as you can at Bass Pro.

On their own stuff, they beat the heck out of the major brands - I'll
give you that one.

If they were like Wal-Mart with one on every corner, that would be
different.
Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 2, 5:15*am, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

If they were like Wal-Mart with one on every corner, that would be
different.- Hide quoted text -

I thought that the "on every corner" line applied only to
Starbucks....
HK HK is offline

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 16:56:02 -0700 (PDT), Tim penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|Not sure but for all I know, it looks like they may tank...
|
|http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0080326?rpc=44

Aside from WM's specific problems, it is an industry wide problem that
won't go away for quite some time.....

http://www.boating-industry.com/output.cfm?id=1229185

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aFGRVkX98Hzw

What? There are serious economic problems? :)

Where will we go after West Marine goes under? Larry Cruising 28 April 2nd 08 07:25 PM
West Marine Eisboch General 59 May 26th 07 05:40 PM
West Marine is Terrible nobody Cruising 47 January 28th 06 03:02 PM
West Marine Really Sucks nospam Cruising 14 February 3rd 04 09:29 PM
RIB tube repairs in south west? John UK Power Boats 1 August 31st 03 06:07 PM