Default West Marine

Anybody go shopping lately at West Marine?

I hadn't been there for a couple of years. I stopped in today because I was
thinking of picking up three new LED type cockpit light fixtures to replace
the halogen bulb types.
I did this a few years ago in the upper station .... replaced the stock
halogens with red LED types. IIRC, the fixtures were about 15 bucks each
then.

Found them today at West Marine and grabbed three. Then I noticed the price.
$34.95 each. Hung them back on the display rack.

Talk about big oil ripping off the customers.

35 bucks for a 75 cent plastic fixture and a 2 dollar LED?

Gimmie a break.

Eisboch

Tim Tim is offline

On May 18, 7:02 pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
Anybody go shopping lately at West Marine?

I hadn't been there for a couple of years. I stopped in today because I was
thinking of picking up three new LED type cockpit light fixtures to replace
the halogen bulb types.
I did this a few years ago in the upper station .... replaced the stock
halogens with red LED types. IIRC, the fixtures were about 15 bucks each
then.

Found them today at West Marine and grabbed three. Then I noticed the price.
$34.95 each. Hung them back on the display rack.

Talk about big oil ripping off the customers.

35 bucks for a 75 cent plastic fixture and a 2 dollar LED?

Gimmie a break.

Eisboch

There's been seeveral threads on west marine feeling they should
charge more for a lot of items.

There was a long on I believe on R.B cruising jsut a couple monts or
so ago.

I dont know where one is close by, but I'm not tempted to go in there,
even for curiosity sake, now....

"Eisboch" wrote in message
Anybody go shopping lately at West Marine?

I hadn't been there for a couple of years. I stopped in today because I
was thinking of picking up three new LED type cockpit light fixtures to
replace the halogen bulb types.
I did this a few years ago in the upper station .... replaced the stock
halogens with red LED types. IIRC, the fixtures were about 15 bucks each
then.

Found them today at West Marine and grabbed three. Then I noticed the
price.
$34.95 each. Hung them back on the display rack.

Talk about big oil ripping off the customers.

35 bucks for a 75 cent plastic fixture and a 2 dollar LED?

Gimmie a break.

Eisboch

I only buy last minute needs from them (they are 1/2 mile from my boat)
unless I cannot find the item at the local hardware store (also 1/2 mile
from the boat).....otherwise I buy from the net. ;-)

I am replacing a 2 step swim platform ladder with a 3 step..........West
Marine wanted $179 for a 3 step ladder. I said no thanks and purchased a
better quality ladder over the net from Overton's for $114.

"JimH" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

I also found some nylon bungie cord clips that I've been searching for. I
needed 10 of them for a sunscreen that goes on the cockpit area of the boat.
I figured they would be a couple of bucks each, at most. Nope. They come
two to a package, $7.95 per package.
So, 5 packages of stupid, cheap nylon clips cost almost 40 bucks.

We need some civilian oversight on this.

Eisboch

rb rb is offline

Try Ebay for LEDs.

Eisboch wrote:
Anybody go shopping lately at West Marine?

I hadn't been there for a couple of years. I stopped in today because I was
thinking of picking up three new LED type cockpit light fixtures to replace
the halogen bulb types.
I did this a few years ago in the upper station .... replaced the stock
halogens with red LED types. IIRC, the fixtures were about 15 bucks each
then.

Found them today at West Marine and grabbed three. Then I noticed the price.
$34.95 each. Hung them back on the display rack.

Talk about big oil ripping off the customers.

35 bucks for a 75 cent plastic fixture and a 2 dollar LED?

Gimmie a break.

Eisboch

Many boaters on Long Island have had it with West to the point where
they have closed several stores. The stores that are left are poorly
stocked and overpriced.

Meanwhile the local mom and pops are thriving. Good for them.

Larry Weiss
"...Ever After!"

Send some of those Mom and Pop stores to the Chicago area. West Marine has
got things sewed up here, except for a Boating World store in the far west
suburbs.

I keep my boat in Racine Wisconsin with a nearby West Marine. I can expect a
50% chance of not finding items for my boat. Just last week I needed a fuel line
connector for my Yamaha 9.9 outboard. Of course, they were out of them. There
is nothing like a bit of healthy competition to wake these guys up.

Sherwin D.

Larry Weiss wrote:

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

Senior Member

On May 18, 8:02 pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
Anybody go shopping lately at West Marine?

I hadn't been there for a couple of years. I stopped in today because I was
thinking of picking up three new LED type cockpit light fixtures to replace
the halogen bulb types.
I did this a few years ago in the upper station .... replaced the stock
halogens with red LED types. IIRC, the fixtures were about 15 bucks each
then.

Found them today at West Marine and grabbed three. Then I noticed the price.
$34.95 each. Hung them back on the display rack.

Talk about big oil ripping off the customers.

35 bucks for a 75 cent plastic fixture and a 2 dollar LED?

Gimmie a break.

Eisboch

When they bought all the competition up round here, it seems to have
gotten worse. I don't even consider them when thinking about supplies,
not even on my list of stops.

Only if I have no choice. They consistently have the highest prices.

"Eisboch" wrote in message
Anybody go shopping lately at West Marine?

I hadn't been there for a couple of years. I stopped in today because I
was thinking of picking up three new LED type cockpit light fixtures to
replace the halogen bulb types.
I did this a few years ago in the upper station .... replaced the stock
halogens with red LED types. IIRC, the fixtures were about 15 bucks each
then.

Found them today at West Marine and grabbed three. Then I noticed the
price.
$34.95 each. Hung them back on the display rack.

Talk about big oil ripping off the customers.

35 bucks for a 75 cent plastic fixture and a 2 dollar LED?

Gimmie a break.

Eisboch

West Marine web site login troubles [email protected] Cruising 6 March 10th 07 12:57 AM
HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
A summer day in the islands [email protected] General 7 February 12th 05 03:21 PM
West Marine advert Q General 7 July 16th 03 02:34 PM