HK HK is offline

Default TSA Forces Nipple Ring Removal

Security flap arises over nipple ring removal
Washington Times

March 29, 2008

By Audrey Hudson - The Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
yesterday stood by its decision to require a Texas airline passenger to
remove a nipple ring with pliers before boarding a flight, but says more
discreet screening procedures may allow sensitively placed piercings to
be worn in the future.

"TSA acknowledges that our procedures caused difficulty for the
passenger involved and regrets her discomfort with the situation," said
TSA spokesman Christopher White.

"In the future, TSA's procedures will meet the security need while
giving additional flexibility for this kind of screening situation," Mr.
White said. "This could include a visual inspection without removal."

Mandi Hamlin, 37-year-old graphics artist, said she was forced to remove
the nipple ring with pliers on Feb. 24 before boarding Southwest Flight
35 from Lubbock, Texas, to Dallas.

Gloria Allred, Ms. Hamlin's lawyer, read from a letter to the TSA during
a video teleconference Thursday asking the TSA's Office of Civil Rights
and Liberties to investigate the incident.

"After nipple rings are inserted, the skin can often heal around the
piercing, and the rings can be extremely difficult and painful to
remove," Ms. Allred said in the letter.

"Still crying, she informed the TSA officer that she could not remove it
without the help of pliers, and the officer gave a pair to her," said
Ms. Allred.

"This encounter was one that she will never forget," Ms. Allred said.
"The conduct of TSA was cruel and unnecessary. The last time that I
checked a nipple was not a dangerous weapon."

Mr. White said security screeners properly followed procedures during
the incident when they asked Ms. Hamlin to remove the piercings. One was
removed easily, but the skin had grown over the second piercing stud and
Ms. Hamlin asked for the pliers to remove it.

The TSA defended the extra scrutiny, saying that terrorists have hidden
dangerous items in "sensitive areas of the body" in the past.

"We have a duty to the American public to resolve any alarm that we
discover," Mr. White said. "Incidents of female terrorists hiding
explosives in sensitive areas are on the rise all over the world. This
scenario must be addressed at our nation's airports."

On Nov 28, 2007, in Sri Lanka, a woman linked to the Tamil Tiger
terrorist organization, detonated a bomb from her bra killing herself
and one other.

TSA's Web site informs passengers that body piercing may prompt
additional screening procedures and that they may be asked "to remove
your body piercing in private as an alternative to a pat-down search."

"Our security officers are well trained to screen individuals with body
piercing in sensitive areas with dignity and respect while ensuring a
high level of security," Mr. White said.

- - -

Ahh, the Bush Administration. We're going to miss the high level of
incompetence.

"HK" wrote in message

[...]

Between your spending much of your day participating in rec.boats and
finding exciting news articles like this to regurgitate, it's no wonder you
need to go out in the woods and shoot tree stumps, to relieve the stress you
are under.
BTW: How do you hide a 3 pound pistol on your person. The obvious answer is
that just blends in with your excess midriff blubber.

HK HK is offline

wrote:

"HK" wrote in message

[...]

What are you raving about, "SloMo"? Why would I need to hide a "3 pound
pistol" on my person?

Here's a question for you, SloMo...why do you post here? You obviously
are not a boater.

"HK" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

"HK" wrote in message

[...]

SloMo has learned that you have a ccw permit in multiple states. Slo Mo has
also learned that your carry weapon is a Sig X5 9MM. Slo Mo has learned that
you do not carry in DC, but you do carry every where else that's legal. Slo
Mo believes that you are carrying in states that restrict open carry. Slo MO
believes that you are mentally ill and dangerous. Slo Mo thinks you should
sell all of your expensive guns and use the proceeds to feed the hungry
children. And That's all I am going to say about that.

On Mar 30, 11:48*am, HK wrote:
wrote:

"HK" wrote in message

[...]

* * * * * * *- - -

Ahh, the Bush Administration. We're going to miss the high level of
incompetence.

Between your spending much of your day participating in rec.boats and
finding exciting news articles like this to regurgitate, it's no wonder
you need to go out in the woods and shoot tree stumps, to relieve the
stress you are under.
BTW: How do you hide *a 3 pound pistol on your person. The obvious
answer is that just blends in with your excess midriff blubber.

What are you raving about, "SloMo"? Why would I need to hide a "3 pound
pistol" on my person?

Here's a question for you, SloMo...why do you post here? You obviously
are not a boater.- Hide quoted text -

Hmm, let's see. Harry posts an article here about the TSA and a nipple
ring, then chides someone else for not posting boating related
posts..........
Care to conjure up all of your posts for the last, say week, and see
just what percentage is boating related?

HK HK is offline

wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

"HK" wrote in message

[...]

My "carry weapon" is only a Sig X5 when I am carrying on the farmette
here or out by the Shenandoah, and I when I do carry that piece, it sure
as hell ain't concealed. D'oh. It's for protection against dangerous
critters. We don't have any right around here, but there sure as hell
are plenty of them out where we stomp around by the Shenandoah or on the
adjacent mountain trails. The Sig earns its living as a target pistol,
mainly, but it is such a pleasure to shoot, I carry it on those
occasions I described.

I rarely "carry concealed," although I do have the permits to do so.

As for what SloMo believes, who really gives a ****, eh? I mean, its not
as if anything you think matters to anyone.

On Mar 30, 12:20*pm, HK wrote:
wrote:

"HK" wrote in message

"HK" wrote in message

[...]

as if anything you think matters to anyone.- Hide quoted text -

If you're that much of a scared pussy, stay home.

On Mar 30, 2:30*pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
wrote in message

On Mar 30, 11:48 am, HK wrote:

wrote:

"HK" wrote in message

[...]

But nipples have caused a lot of trouble over the years. *Lots of young and
older men have had major trouble because of female nipples.- Hide quoted text -

I've had MY share of troubles because of them.

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:09:53 -0400, "
wrote:

"HK" wrote in message

"HK" wrote in message

[...]

And, as he brings it up, I'm wondering what part of Harry's nipple story
was boating related.
--
John *H*
(Not the other one!)

wrote in message
On Mar 30, 11:48 am, HK wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Water injection nipple on black iron pipe [email protected] Cruising 6 July 31st 07 11:14 AM
Today is Armed Forces Day SUZY ASA 0 May 20th 06 05:13 PM
In search of stainless antenna adapter-- 1"-14 female - 1" nipple [email protected] Electronics 3 April 6th 06 12:09 AM
What are coriolis forces? Mic Cruising 1 July 30th 05 01:29 AM
If US Forces cannot protect... Jack Goff General 26 January 6th 05 06:12 PM