Default Yo!! Those with Masters/OUPV licenses...

Guess what? We are now required to have a TWIC.

As it's known in moron land - Transportation Workers Identification
Credential.

Doesn't matter if you don't actually work in the Maritime Industry or
require Port Facilities access, you gotta get one.

Hones to pete.

http://twicinformation.tsa.dhs.gov/twicinfo/index.jsp
BAR BAR is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
Guess what? We are now required to have a TWIC.

As it's known in moron land - Transportation Workers Identification
Credential.

Doesn't matter if you don't actually work in the Maritime Industry or
require Port Facilities access, you gotta get one.

Hones to pete.

http://twicinformation.tsa.dhs.gov/twicinfo/index.jsp

Do you get one of them fancy TSA like uniforms too?

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:19:51 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:18:46 -0400, BAR penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
| Guess what? We are now required to have a TWIC.
|
| As it's known in moron land - Transportation Workers Identification
| Credential.
|
| Doesn't matter if you don't actually work in the Maritime Industry or
| require Port Facilities access, you gotta get one.
|
| Hones to pete.
|
| http://twicinformation.tsa.dhs.gov/twicinfo/index.jsp
|
|Do you get one of them fancy TSA like uniforms too?

The silly thing is that the only difference in the documents required
to get the TWIC and my OUPV/Masters is the additional $132.50. The
last time I renewed, they even took a digital picture and
fingerprints. They have the information, this is just another dig for
money.

Mine's up for renewal in May 2009 so I haven't gone through the new
process yet.

I did the whole preenrollment thing for examination process and the
online form kept kicking my application out because I hadn't filled
out the employment section. I called the hot line and explained the
issue and the lady, very nice by the way, asked me why I needed the
TWIC. So I told her the whole deal and she laughed, took care of it
and presto - all done.

I don't know if you are aware of this, but it's $105 if you have a
current license issued after May 31, 2005.

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:18:45 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the

wrote:

|On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:18:46 -0400, BAR penned the following well
|considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:
|
||Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
|| Guess what? We are now required to have a TWIC.
|| As it's known in moron land - Transportation Workers Identification
|| Credential.
|| Doesn't matter if you don't actually work in the Maritime Industry or
|| require Port Facilities access, you gotta get one.
|| Hones to pete.
|| http://twicinformation.tsa.dhs.gov/twicinfo/index.jsp
||Do you get one of them fancy TSA like uniforms too?
|
|The silly thing is that the only difference in the documents required
|to get the TWIC and my OUPV/Masters is the additional $132.50. The
|last time I renewed, they even took a digital picture and
|fingerprints. They have the information, this is just another dig for
|money.
|
|Mine's up for renewal in May 2009 so I haven't gone through the new
|process yet.
|
|I did the whole preenrollment thing for examination process and the
|online form kept kicking my application out because I hadn't filled
|out the employment section. I called the hot line and explained the
|issue and the lady, very nice by the way, asked me why I needed the
|TWIC. So I told her the whole deal and she laughed, took care of it
|and presto - all done.
|
|I don't know if you are aware of this, but it's $105 if you have a
|current license issued after May 31, 2005.

Yeah, I renewed last Summer, so I should be good for the lesser fee.
My "pre-enrollment" hasn't hit the computer yet. I may just "walk-in"
in Wilmington, since I don't have to make that long pilgrimage to
Charleston.

I thought I was going to have to go to Boston, but apparently there is
an examinination/issuing center in New London.

Hell of a lot better than going to Boston. :)

I have to admit, the online thing is pretty slick - bada bing, bada
boom - you are done.

Well except for the employment thing that is. :)

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:58:34 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the

wrote:

|On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:18:45 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the
|following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:
|
||On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:19:51 -0400, Gene Kearns
||On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:18:46 -0400, BAR penned the following well
||considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:
|||Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
||| Guess what? We are now required to have a TWIC.
||| As it's known in moron land - Transportation Workers Identification
||| Credential.
||| Doesn't matter if you don't actually work in the Maritime Industry or
||| require Port Facilities access, you gotta get one.
||| Hones to pete.
||| http://twicinformation.tsa.dhs.gov/twicinfo/index.jsp
|||Do you get one of them fancy TSA like uniforms too?
||The silly thing is that the only difference in the documents required
||to get the TWIC and my OUPV/Masters is the additional $132.50. The
||last time I renewed, they even took a digital picture and
||fingerprints. They have the information, this is just another dig for
||money.
||Mine's up for renewal in May 2009 so I haven't gone through the new
||process yet.
||I did the whole preenrollment thing for examination process and the
||online form kept kicking my application out because I hadn't filled
||out the employment section. I called the hot line and explained the
||issue and the lady, very nice by the way, asked me why I needed the
||TWIC. So I told her the whole deal and she laughed, took care of it
||and presto - all done.
||I don't know if you are aware of this, but it's $105 if you have a
||current license issued after May 31, 2005.
|
|Yeah, I renewed last Summer, so I should be good for the lesser fee.
|My "pre-enrollment" hasn't hit the computer yet. I may just "walk-in"
|in Wilmington, since I don't have to make that long pilgrimage to
|Charleston.
|
|I thought I was going to have to go to Boston, but apparently there is
|an examinination/issuing center in New London.
|
|Hell of a lot better than going to Boston. :)
|
|I have to admit, the online thing is pretty slick - bada bing, bada
|boom - you are done.
|
|Well except for the employment thing that is. :)

How soon were you able to log in after you pre-registered?

Immediately. Got my appointment for enrolling in the program slicker
than a pig in slop.

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 20:39:36 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the

wrote:

|On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:18:45 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the
|following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:
|
||On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:19:51 -0400, Gene Kearns
||On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:18:46 -0400, BAR penned the following well
||considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:
|||Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
||| Guess what? We are now required to have a TWIC.
||| As it's known in moron land - Transportation Workers Identification
||| Credential.
||| Doesn't matter if you don't actually work in the Maritime Industry or
||| require Port Facilities access, you gotta get one.
||| Hones to pete.
||| http://twicinformation.tsa.dhs.gov/twicinfo/index.jsp
|||Do you get one of them fancy TSA like uniforms too?
||The silly thing is that the only difference in the documents required
||to get the TWIC and my OUPV/Masters is the additional $132.50. The
||last time I renewed, they even took a digital picture and
||fingerprints. They have the information, this is just another dig for
||money.
||Mine's up for renewal in May 2009 so I haven't gone through the new
||process yet.
||I did the whole preenrollment thing for examination process and the
||online form kept kicking my application out because I hadn't filled
||out the employment section. I called the hot line and explained the
||issue and the lady, very nice by the way, asked me why I needed the
||TWIC. So I told her the whole deal and she laughed, took care of it
||and presto - all done.
||I don't know if you are aware of this, but it's $105 if you have a
||current license issued after May 31, 2005.
|
|Yeah, I renewed last Summer, so I should be good for the lesser fee.
|My "pre-enrollment" hasn't hit the computer yet. I may just "walk-in"
|in Wilmington, since I don't have to make that long pilgrimage to
|Charleston.
|
|I thought I was going to have to go to Boston, but apparently there is
|an examinination/issuing center in New London.
|
|Hell of a lot better than going to Boston. :)
|
|I have to admit, the online thing is pretty slick - bada bing, bada
|boom - you are done.
|
|Well except for the employment thing that is. :)

How soon were you able to log in after you pre-registered?

Immediately. Got my appointment for enrolling in the program slicker
than a pig in slop.

Crap. Mine musta barfed.... I'll try again.....

A couple of guys in my fishing club had that happen.

I guess it depends on when the computers update the registrations.
Give it 24 hours.

wrote:

|On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:18:45 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the
|following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:
|
||On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:19:51 -0400, Gene Kearns
||On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:18:46 -0400, BAR penned the following well
||considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:
|||Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
||| Guess what? We are now required to have a TWIC.
||| As it's known in moron land - Transportation Workers
Identification
||| Credential.
||| Doesn't matter if you don't actually work in the Maritime
Industry or
||| require Port Facilities access, you gotta get one.
||| Hones to pete.
||| http://twicinformation.tsa.dhs.gov/twicinfo/index.jsp
|||Do you get one of them fancy TSA like uniforms too?
||The silly thing is that the only difference in the documents
required
||to get the TWIC and my OUPV/Masters is the additional $132.50. The
||last time I renewed, they even took a digital picture and
||fingerprints. They have the information, this is just another dig
for
||money.
||Mine's up for renewal in May 2009 so I haven't gone through the new
||process yet.
||I did the whole preenrollment thing for examination process and the
||online form kept kicking my application out because I hadn't filled
||out the employment section. I called the hot line and explained the
||issue and the lady, very nice by the way, asked me why I needed the
||TWIC. So I told her the whole deal and she laughed, took care of it
||and presto - all done.
||I don't know if you are aware of this, but it's $105 if you have a
||current license issued after May 31, 2005.
|
|Yeah, I renewed last Summer, so I should be good for the lesser fee.
|My "pre-enrollment" hasn't hit the computer yet. I may just "walk-in"
|in Wilmington, since I don't have to make that long pilgrimage to
|Charleston.
|
|I thought I was going to have to go to Boston, but apparently there is
|an examinination/issuing center in New London.
|
|Hell of a lot better than going to Boston. :)
|
|I have to admit, the online thing is pretty slick - bada bing, bada
|boom - you are done.
|
|Well except for the employment thing that is. :)

How soon were you able to log in after you pre-registered?

Immediately. Got my appointment for enrolling in the program slicker
than a pig in slop.

Crap. Mine musta barfed.... I'll try again.....

A couple of guys in my fishing club had that happen.

I guess it depends on when the computers update the registrations.
Give it 24 hours.

Friend of mine went to the Shell Refinery yesterday. Temporary office with
a 9:30 appointment. Gets in at 11:30. one person at the desk. All the oil
refinery workers need to get a twic card as well as the truckers. Then you
have to go back when you get the card to get in activated.

wrote:

> [...]
|
|Hell of a lot better than going to Boston. :)
|
|I have to admit, the online thing is pretty slick - bada bing, bada
|boom - you are done.
|
|Well except for the employment thing that is. :)

How soon were you able to log in after you pre-registered?

Immediately. Got my appointment for enrolling in the program slicker
than a pig in slop.

Crap. Mine musta barfed.... I'll try again.....

A couple of guys in my fishing club had that happen.

I guess it depends on when the computers update the registrations.
Give it 24 hours.

Friend of mine went to the Shell Refinery yesterday. Temporary office with
a 9:30 appointment. Gets in at 11:30. one person at the desk. All the oil
refinery workers need to get atwiccard as well as the truckers. Then you
have to go back when you get the card to get in activated.

It's a fairly simple process, but a stupid idea to require me to have
both the TWIC and a Master's ticket to take people out for hire on my
boat on Lake Superior. All in the name of homeland security, I'm told.

So tell me, how is licensing people like me going to prevent evil-
doers from doing evil? It's like saying that drunks have to possess
valid licenses or they can't drive.
BAR BAR is offline

wrote:

> [...]
than a pig in slop.
Crap. Mine musta barfed.... I'll try again.....
A couple of guys in my fishing club had that happen.
I guess it depends on when the computers update the registrations.
Give it 24 hours.

Friend of mine went to the Shell Refinery yesterday. Temporary office with
a 9:30 appointment. Gets in at 11:30. one person at the desk. All the oil
refinery workers need to get atwiccard as well as the truckers. Then you
have to go back when you get the card to get in activated.

It's a fairly simple process, but a stupid idea to require me to have
both the TWIC and a Master's ticket to take people out for hire on my
boat on Lake Superior. All in the name of homeland security, I'm told.

So tell me, how is licensing people like me going to prevent evil-
doers from doing evil? It's like saying that drunks have to possess

It's not!

It is a way to make sure that the finger print database is fed with new
data and Uncle Sam gets to dig a little deeper into your pocket.

Lying on USCG OUPV License Diane Linkletter ASA 16 February 11th 07 10:41 PM
OUPV question psx1337 Cruising 8 August 16th 06 08:48 PM
USMM Masters Quiz Joe ASA 1 October 17th 05 03:42 PM
(dumb?) OUPV questions Brien Alkire Cruising 3 March 29th 05 04:09 PM
HELP WANTED OUPV Licensed Captain Capt. Frank Hopkins General 4 October 10th 03 04:07 AM