Default OUPV question

I've read about OUPV licenses that limit you to 100 miles near coast
and things like that, but I'm wondering what kind of license does a
cruise ship or similar captain hold that would allow him to cross the
Atlantic? Also, the OUPV seems to be limited to 6 passengers?

Bob Bob is offline

psx1337 wrote:
I've read about OUPV licenses that limit you to 100 miles near coast
and things like that, but I'm wondering what kind of license does a
cruise ship or similar captain hold that would allow him to cross the
Atlantic? Also, the OUPV seems to be limited to 6 passengers?

Go here and read:

http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/mmic-policy.htm

Bob

Steven Shelikoff wrote:
On 14 Aug 2006 21:44:16 -0700, "psx1337" wrote:

I've read about OUPV licenses that limit you to 100 miles near coast
and things like that, but I'm wondering what kind of license does a
cruise ship or similar captain hold that would allow him to cross the
Atlantic? Also, the OUPV seems to be limited to 6 passengers?

To captain a large ship like that (over 100 tons) you need an unlimited
master license. It takes years to get that.

Steve

Since the OUPV requires 360 days of sea time, its a bit hard to get it
in less than a year.
You You is offline

In article . com,
"psx1337" wrote:

I've read about OUPV licenses that limit you to 100 miles near coast
and things like that, but I'm wondering what kind of license does a
cruise ship or similar captain hold that would allow him to cross the
Atlantic? Also, the OUPV seems to be limited to 6 passengers?

Any Ocean, any Gross Tons, Masters License........

When I first got my license, licenses such as "OUPV" "100ton" "1600ton" were
called OPERATORS licenses.
Without getting into my feelings about the particular qualifications of the
USCG to issue licenses and the changes to terminology, simply stated, the
licenses required to be a "deck officer" on a ship (another bone of
contention) and an OUPV "operator" are night and day differences (kinda like
comparing a 16 yr. old on a learners permit to Mario Andretti).
It's a totally different world of knowledge, experience, training, etc.

otn

ups.com...

otnmbrd wrote:

simply stated, the
licenses required to be a "deck officer" on a ship (another bone of
contention) and an OUPV "operator" are night and day differences (kinda like
comparing a 16 yr. old on a learners permit to Mario Andretti).
It's a totally different world of knowledge, experience, training, etc.

Hi:
There are lots of very skilled Lower Level license holders working
inland and the GOM oilfield. For example, those who actually earned
and later worked their 100 ton ticket. But again, there is that
distinction between a 1600 ton master and a Third mate
unlimited........

uhhh, may be the ability to read and use three syllable words !

Bayou Bob

BG Having worked/sailed with a number of individuals with "Lower Level"
licenses I can honestly say that in any number of instances there were many
of them that I would rather have with me when the sh*t hit the fan than some
"unlimiteds" I've been with ..... and vice versa.
As for 1600 ton/3m ...... I don't know what it's like now, but at one time a
3M could be a 1600 tn, but a 1600tn could not necessarily be a 3M, and as
for three syllable words....... I still prefer single syllable whenever
possible.

otn

ps.com...

otnmbrd wrote:
Having worked/sailed with a number of individuals with "Lower Level"
licenses I can honestly say that in any number of instances there were many
of them that I would rather have with me when the sh*t hit the fan than some
"unlimiteds" I've been with ..... and vice versa.

Hey yawl,

Interesting debate that we have touched on: Lower Level v. Academy
(CMA) types.

The trade magazine WorkBoat ran just a discussion a few months ago.
Basically, it is the OJT experience Haws Pipe v. College Kid grad who's
better in the wheel house argument.
Personally, both individuals have some predictable deficiencies. The
problem I have with the Haws Pipers is that their a bit like a
one-trick-pony. Get them out of their element and they are a fish out
of water, not able to adapt easily.

Sounds as though you've got a pretty good maritime background. I would
whole heartedly recommend you subscribe to a news letter titled, Gulf
Coast Mariners Association (GCMA).
They have a website. Basically for $35/yr you can get some very
interesting reading and in some small way help those poor lower level
coon ass mariners forced to work the GOM.

The GCMA is pretty good outfit with good intentions.

Bayou Bob

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hey yawl,

Interesting debate that we have touched on: Lower Level v. Academy
(CMA) types.

The trade magazine WorkBoat ran just a discussion a few months ago.
Basically, it is the OJT experience Haws Pipe v. College Kid grad who's
better in the wheel house argument.
Personally, both individuals have some predictable deficiencies. The
problem I have with the Haws Pipers is that their a bit like a
one-trick-pony. Get them out of their element and they are a fish out
of water, not able to adapt easily.

Sticking with the "big ships" for the moment..... In breaking in new 3M's
I've noticed that the "schoolship" types tend to have a more well rounded
knowledge base to work from, but, when up against a "hawse piper" or
"X-Navy" how they were able to use that knowledge and apply it became an
independent issue where there was no guarantee that one or the other would
get up to speed faster, i.e., knowing the "book" was no guarantee.
As you say, if someone has all their experience on one type of boat and come
up through the "HP" they will frequently run into problems when and if they
change vessel types. I've noticed this more with X-Navy (but I tend to think
this has more to do with the "social order" of the Navy).

otn
licensed 41yrs