Default Sunday's VHF antics.....and a question..

The system only works if the radio is installed properly. The vessel has to
have a registered MMSI number which is programmed into the radio. The radio
has to have a NEMA input for it to have position info.

Press the distress button without those and you get allot of noise and no
info.

Check the web for "GMDSS". The A3 terminal installation which I recently
completed cost over $36K. This was for an ocean going vessel.

The US is way far behind the power curve when it comes to safety monitoring.

As for your question, I know the Furuno radios will listen on both 16 and
70. They should, they cost us enough.

Following from the ICOM web site:

Built-in DSC capability that meets U.S.C.G. SC-101
The DSC watch function monitors Ch 70, while receiving another channel. It
allows you to send a formatted distress message in an emergency. The
position request function indicates a caller's position. Up to 30 DSC IDs
are memorized.

Andy K.
"JAD" wrote in message
Anyone on the upper Chesapeake, Sunday, (with a DSC VHF) probably listened
to this one........

Three DSC "DISTRESS" alerts were transmitted. One around 8:15 AM, and

two,
about 5-10 minutes apart, around 2:30 PM (EDT.) I copied the two in the
afternoon and wrote down the MMSI (same both times,)....figuring that the
Coast Guard had received it as well. JESUS....if you've never heard
one...the alarm signal (from the Icom 402) is LOUD and obnoxious! It'll

get
your attention! NO position information accompanied these receptions on

my
radio.

After the second one...I hear a skipper call CG group Baltimore with a
question about the strange alarm he has received (he hasn't a clue.) He
reads the display to the Coast Guard...who shakily explains to the guy

what
he has received (they.....the COAST GUARD....acted like they had NOT
RECEIVED IT AT ALL!) Other boaters chime in with addn'l information about
the same MMSI distress they received in the morning.

About an hour later...the CG marine broadcast comes out, describing the
three distress transmissions.....TWO possible boat names, and a general
vicinity in which they were believed to be in (Rock Hall....if anyone's
interested.) I assume they were using the boat in questions home port....

I hope that everything turned out OK....I would LIKE to think that if
someone lifted that red cover....they MEANT it.

If NOT....there are certainly no ANONYMOUS DSC "maydays"..........someone
will get warned....I hope.....

My question.....I could not get my Icom 402 to reliably receive PRIVATE

DSC
transmissions without placing channel 70 in a scan list, or parking the
radio right on 70. Perhaps there were other factors

involved......but......
Isn't the radio supposed to "listen" to 70 at all times? (manual does not
even scratch the surface.......) My pal and I were right next to one
another playing with the private selective call....perhaps we were too
close.... Anyway...it's comforting to know that it received the distress
alarm......

The DISTRESS alerts were received in my normal operating mode......DUAL
WATCH 16 and 22. I have received severe weather alerts in this mode as
well.

I SUPPOSE that Coast Guard does not have DSC distress capability

everywhere
yet...just be aware!

Joe

Larry W4CSC

Last time I looked, USCG Charleston has no VHF Direction Finder
equipment, NO DSC capability, NO GMDSS capability and my Motorola FM
analyzer puts their MAXIMUM deviation somewhere around 2.8 KHz making
their audio nearly IMPOSSIBLE TO HEAR UNLESS YOU RUN THE RADIO UP WIDE
OPEN!

The last problem I've BEGGED them and their ET shop to repair. They
had feedback on a secondary radio listening to Ch 16 or 22a SO THEY
TURNED DOWN THE MIC GAIN on the main transmitter, so I was told.

If you think the alarm on the M402 is loud, you need to hear it on the
M602!....(c; NOONE will sleep through it....

Larry W4CSC
S/V "Lionheart"
SCANNING DSC now on all HF and VHF DSC channels.

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 15:28:07 -0700, "JAD"
wrote:

[...]

Chuck Tribolet

The CG has a little DSC capability right now, mostly some commercial units they
have installed. They are getting ready for a massive rework of their short range
comms. I think the first prototype HW goes in this fall. There's some info on the
CG's NavCen website.

Understand that the CG has a fancy remote antenna setup for VHF. This gives them
great VHF range, but means that a real upgrade means more than a trip to West Marine.

If I ever copy a DSC distress signal, and don't hear the CG get involved in about
2 minutes, I'm getting on 16 and calling them.

One final thing: the position that is transmitted with the DSC Mayday only contains
position to one minute (about a mile).

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"JAD" wrote in message ...
[...]

JAD

Default ANOTHER question

"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in message

If I ever copy a DSC distress signal, and don't hear the CG get involved

in about
2 minutes, I'm getting on 16 and calling them.

Exactly what the skipper in my story did, Chuck (as clueless as he was about
DSC,) so.... kudos to his actions.

I would do the same....as would most here.... Was stupid of me to assume
that DSC was up and running (in Chesapeake regions) without knowing for
sure. I need to make more frequent stops to the NAVCEN pages.....

ANYONE know for sure if the DSC radios "keep watch" on 70 as a matter of
design....perhaps once you have enabled the system with your MMSI?

NOW...another question. Is there a mechanism (through an FCC form
perhaps....I have a ship station license) to MODIFY information about my
boat to reflect recent changes:

Changed registration (State) so my "identifying numbers" have changed.

Color of vessel has changed.

Noticed through the FCC general menu seach pages that I need to make a few
changes to the information I submitted two years ago at licensure
application. Here's the most useful link so you can check YOURS:
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....nmen/index.hts

My thanks in advance....'73
Joe
s/v "South of 80"
Charlestown, MD

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"JAD" wrote:

ANYONE know for sure if the DSC radios "keep watch" on 70 as a matter of
design....perhaps once you have enabled the system with your MMSI?

It depends on the radio. Some GMDSS Radios actually have two receivers,
one just for Ch. 70 and one that is used for scanning and the main comm
channels. Most of the cheaper radios, just use scanning to derive Ch 70
Watchkeeping, and they can miss some DCS Calls. Emergency DCS Calls also
retransmit the message a number of times so as to duplicate the
information and allow for the scanning receivers to lock into the call,
where Non_emergency DCS Traffic may or maynot replicate the information
during the transmission.

NOW...another question. Is there a mechanism (through an FCC form
perhaps....I have a ship station license) to MODIFY information about my
boat to reflect recent changes:

Any FCC Marine Station License can be modified by filing the appropriate
form with the Commission. Forms are available at their Website at
www.fcc.gov

My thanks in advance....'73
Joe
s/v "South of 80"
Charlestown, MD

Bruce in alaska
Marcus AAkesson

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:31:53 -0700, "JAD"
wrote:

ANYONE know for sure if the DSC radios "keep watch" on 70 as a matter of
design....perhaps once you have enabled the system with your MMSI?

Depends on which DSC class. A-B is for commercial ships, C is a joke,
D is the minimum allowed in most places, and ALWAYS has a separate
ch70 receiver.

E is for lifeboats (mainly handhelds)

Many cheaper radios are only class F, which is not even allowed in
Europe, and should never have been on the market in the first place.

more good info at http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/gmdss/dsc.htm

/Marcus

--
Marcus AAkesson
Gothenburg Callsigns: SM6XFN & SB4779

Harry Krause

wrote:

ANYONE know for sure if the DSC radios "keep watch" on 70 as a matter of
design....perhaps once you have enabled the system with your MMSI?

I just finished hooking up a new Icom M602 VHF DSC rig in my buddy's
Amel Sharpi ketch, today. Lat/Long/Time are displaying great off the
multiplexer and we're ready for DSC as soon as the MMSI gets
here...(c;

I believe that would be an Amel Sharki, not an Amel Sharpi. A sharpie is
a little rowboat-type fishing boat, or at least it was where I grew up.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Meindert Sprang

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I believe that would be an Amel Sharki, not an Amel Sharpi. A sharpie is
a little rowboat-type fishing boat, or at least it was where I grew up.

Not necessarily. A sharpie refers only to the shape/type of hull: shallow
draft and double ended. I've seen them up to 32' long, rigged as ketch.

Meindert