Chuck Tribolet

Default Sunday's VHF antics.....and a question..

The CG has a little DSC capability right now, mostly some commercial units they
have installed. They are getting ready for a massive rework of their short range
comms. I think the first prototype HW goes in this fall. There's some info on the
CG's NavCen website.

Understand that the CG has a fancy remote antenna setup for VHF. This gives them
great VHF range, but means that a real upgrade means more than a trip to West Marine.

If I ever copy a DSC distress signal, and don't hear the CG get involved in about
2 minutes, I'm getting on 16 and calling them.

One final thing: the position that is transmitted with the DSC Mayday only contains
position to one minute (about a mile).

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"JAD" wrote in message ...
Anyone on the upper Chesapeake, Sunday, (with a DSC VHF) probably listened
to this one........

Three DSC "DISTRESS" alerts were transmitted. One around 8:15 AM, and two,
about 5-10 minutes apart, around 2:30 PM (EDT.) I copied the two in the
afternoon and wrote down the MMSI (same both times,)....figuring that the
Coast Guard had received it as well. JESUS....if you've never heard
one...the alarm signal (from the Icom 402) is LOUD and obnoxious! It'll get
your attention! NO position information accompanied these receptions on my
radio.

After the second one...I hear a skipper call CG group Baltimore with a
question about the strange alarm he has received (he hasn't a clue.) He
reads the display to the Coast Guard...who shakily explains to the guy what
he has received (they.....the COAST GUARD....acted like they had NOT
RECEIVED IT AT ALL!) Other boaters chime in with addn'l information about
the same MMSI distress they received in the morning.

About an hour later...the CG marine broadcast comes out, describing the
three distress transmissions.....TWO possible boat names, and a general
vicinity in which they were believed to be in (Rock Hall....if anyone's
interested.) I assume they were using the boat in questions home port....

I hope that everything turned out OK....I would LIKE to think that if
someone lifted that red cover....they MEANT it.

If NOT....there are certainly no ANONYMOUS DSC "maydays"..........someone
will get warned....I hope.....

My question.....I could not get my Icom 402 to reliably receive PRIVATE DSC
transmissions without placing channel 70 in a scan list, or parking the
radio right on 70. Perhaps there were other factors involved......but......
Isn't the radio supposed to "listen" to 70 at all times? (manual does not
even scratch the surface.......) My pal and I were right next to one
another playing with the private selective call....perhaps we were too
close.... Anyway...it's comforting to know that it received the distress
alarm......

The DISTRESS alerts were received in my normal operating mode......DUAL
WATCH 16 and 22. I have received severe weather alerts in this mode as
well.

I SUPPOSE that Coast Guard does not have DSC distress capability everywhere
yet...just be aware!

Joe