Tim Tim is offline

Default JohnH I found something for you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm2Da...eature=related

My dad did a lot of this. he said a good team could rack off 1 every
7-10 seconds.

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:31:11 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm2Da...eature=related

My dad did a lot of this. he said a good team could rack off 1 every
7-10 seconds.

FSB 4-11 - been there - if I remember correctly, it was outside and
north of Quang Ngai. Bunch of ancient pagodas and temples in that
area.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm2Da...eature=related

My dad did a lot of this. he said a good team could rack off 1 every
7-10 seconds.

FSB 4-11 - been there - if I remember correctly, it was outside and
north of Quang Ngai. *Bunch of ancient pagodas and temples in that
area.

My dad was actually a "forward observer" . the guy that strung the
phone wires over the hill and called in the strikes, hoping
therewouldn't be a short one or there weren't any japanese hiding int
he brush to get you.

thinking back it wasn't long before dad's passing that he was trying
to explain how the panormic sights worked on the 105's and "Double
deuces" and I was trying to explain to him how a G.E. Mini-gun xm-214/
m-314 operated.

ah! generation gaps.

wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm2Da...eature=related

My dad did a lot of this. he said a good team could rack off 1 every
7-10 seconds.

FSB 4-11 - been there - if I remember correctly, it was outside and
north of Quang Ngai. *Bunch of ancient pagodas and temples in that
area.

My dad was actually a "forward observer" . the guy that strung the
phone wires over the hill and called in the strikes, hoping
therewouldn't be a short one or there weren't any japanese hiding int
he brush to get you.

thinking back it wasn't long before dad's passing that he was trying
to explain how the panormic sights worked on the 105's and "Double
deuces" and I was trying to explain to him how a G.E. Mini-gun xm-214/
m-314 operated.

ah! generation gaps.

Oh yeah - that's the way it works allright. Every generation of
warriors has different experiences in different ways.

Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

[...]

warriors has different experiences in different ways.- Hide quoted text -

Agreed!

BTW, I was talking to my brother tonight and I was wrong on my firing
cyclic's. 7-20 sec on the 155's and 3-5 sec on the 105.

get this, Tom. Dad taught me semafore some time ago. I wish'd I'd
rememebred it. Just for the sake of rememebring it.

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:31:11 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm2Da...eature=related

My dad did a lot of this. he said a good team could rack off 1 every
7-10 seconds.

He was right. I started my career in a 105mm Howitzer battery with the
196th Light Infantry Brigade. Same gun as in the video. I didn't get to do
the 'gun bunny' stuff, like pulling the lanyard. I was in Fire Direction
Control.

But, it was an exciting time.
--
John H
Tim Tim is offline

John H. wrote:
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:31:11 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm2Da...eature=related

My dad did a lot of this. he said a good team could rack off 1 every
7-10 seconds.

He was right. I started my career in a 105mm Howitzer battery with the
196th Light Infantry Brigade. Same gun as in the video. I didn't get to do
the 'gun bunny' stuff, like pulling the lanyard. I was in Fire Direction
Control.

But, it was an exciting time.
--
John H

I found this old newspaper clipping that evidently, Dad had mailed a
letter to his mom, "Grandma C.O." while stationed overseas. She
submitted it to the local newspaper, the Clay County-Advocate, and
what do you know? They printed it!
There's piece missing from the article only consisting of a word or
two, and I can't decipher it, but here it is:

From Larry Schnautz

From the Philippines
June 6, 1945

Dear Mother,

It is now 8:00 p.m. Wednesday evening, which would make it 6:00 a.m.
Wednesday morning there. Clay City would just be coming to life now.
By the way, I heard over the radio yesterday that the Midwestern
states were having the first real cold spell recorded in June for some
50 years with temperature down to freezing. Can't say that here, but
we do have rain now and then, amounting to about 157 in. yearly.

We get some pretty good programs on the radio, including 3 news
roundups daily, but I hardly think they are quite so optimistic as the
ones you hear. Certainly none of that Drew Pearson stuff but we are
hoping he is right. Here is some pleasant news though-last Sunday we
had to work and I was helping unpack a refrigerator when someone came
up behind me and said, "Hello Larry." It took me a second to realize
that the fellow who stood there smiling and with all that read hair
was Carroll Crackel, so you can imagine how good it was to talk with
someone from home for a change. He looks great and lives but a half-
mile down the road. So I'll be seeing him now and then. He was telling
me that not only Galen Morefield was at New Caledonia but Mr. Wheatly,
Meryl Thomas and Walter Kelly as well, so you see I would have had
some visiting had we been around for a while. Would like to know where
Junior Sullens is, as it's possible he might not be far. Sure glad he
finally got out of New G., for this isn't bad and it's perfectly
livable. We have a great deal of fun, mainly swimming and movies, of
which I see very few. Also, we have a PX with items rationed.

We use Phil. money altogether now, which has a 2-1 ration; meaning
that 1c equals 1 centomas, $1 equals 2 pesos. Phillippinos have little
use for money and if we have an extra sheet or cover they would gladly
pay 20 pesos for each, as clothing is definitely a luxury item.
However everyone is clean and dresses neatly. They are a good looking
race, especially the younger boys and girls. They are the only ones
that can speak English, but not fluently. The girls do all our
laundry and do a good job. The other day three of us put our dirty
cloths into a barracks bag, making it full and asked the girl if she
could carry it. She said, "Sure" and at that put the bag on her head
and walked easily away, leaving us looking blankly at each other.

The natives' food consists mostly of fish and rice with occasional
bananas and pineapple for desert. They live in bamboo shacks with no
beds and they see plenty of hardships but they seem happy and so
grateful for our protection. They will do anything for us and I'm
afraid some of the fellows take advantage of that. Part of them are
quite religious and their morals are high. It seems the Japs were
really cruel to them, stealing everything they had to eat and
occupying their huts, so they had to go without food, shelter or
clothing and were driven into the hills and mountains. So, you can see
how thankful they were when help finally came. They do a lot of
fishing in the ocean and one can see sailboats any place he looks,
night or day, as they have lanterns at night. Their boats are long and
very narrow. I understand they raise corn, wheat, rice and garden
vegetables. They also raise a few hogs, which look like wild boars and
their chickens are the size of small leghorns and all colors. They
have rooster fights every Sunday- tie two small knives on their feet
and let them go to it. It doesn't last very long.

There are cocoanut trees everywhere and I've drunk a lot of milk from
the nuts. You are in a dangerous spot under the trees as they don't
give any warning when they fall, so we have had some narrow escapes.
The natives sometimes cut [illegible] up at the top, which hold the
nut cluster and put a container under it, catching the fluid, called
tuba juice and sell it for whiskey. As one fellow put it, "Boy, that
stuff would make a fellow climb a tree backward!" The nuts are used
for their oil in making soap, the leaves to roof houses and many other
things. We use them for shade.

This island is very colorful and we see a lot of interesting sights
but I'd much rather see the U.S first or better still just be there.
I'd like to go on and tell you what goes on here and the plans but you
realize mum is the word on that.

Well, all the fellows in camp are talking about the point system and
home. They deserve a break as every one knows. The Japs claim they
have ten million men read to die if necessary. I hope that never
happens and that some day they can see the light and can enjoy the
four freedoms along with the rest of the world. Wars seem needless
especially when one considers the high casualty rate and the enormous
war debt to follow.

Mom, I got a big stack of mail tonight and have just finished reading
them over. Just wish I had time to answer each letter like they should
be as they are so nice and make me feel so good that people back home
have not forgotten. Mail service is good and I think the most wealthy
fellows in the service are the ones that results at mail call. Myona
tells me that she and Rasho will soon be home for a few days. I know
you are looking forward to it.

I must close as tomorrow is always another big day.

Lots of love,
your son, Larry.
Pvt. James L. Schnautz 36972797
Hq. Btry., 97th FA Bn.

Yo!! JohnH... Short Wave Sportfishing General 5 August 27th 07 04:45 PM
JohnH,.... Tim General 2 February 3rd 07 11:15 PM
JohnH............you were right! JimH General 7 September 24th 06 10:24 PM
Yo - JohnH... JohnH General 28 June 11th 06 02:21 AM
Yo - JohnH... JoeSpareBedroom General 1 June 8th 06 06:44 PM