JohnH

Default Yo - JohnH...

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 10:35:53 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

Fishing report for yesterday.

Rain, moderate winds, had to run with radar - boated 33 schoolies
before I called a halt to the festivities.

Yesterday's news reported a fish kill down south of you, off the NC coast I
believe. Pictures showed many, many dead stripers, mixed with some smaller
fish, maybe croakers. Anything like that happening up your way?
--
John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
JohnH

wrote:

Fishing report for yesterday.

Rain, moderate winds, had to run with radar - boated 33 schoolies
before I called a halt to the festivities.

Yesterday's news reported a fish kill down south of you, off the NC coast I
believe. Pictures showed many, many dead stripers, mixed with some smaller
fish, maybe croakers. Anything like that happening up your way?

No - but we're seeing a lot of "sick" fish - lesions and such.

Hell, many in the Bay were thinking the lesion covered stripers were unique
to the bay. I suppose you could be seeing fish that picked it up in the bay
and then headed north. Or maybe the problem is more widespread than I
thought.

Today's news talks of fish kills in the southern Potomac - stripers,
croakers, rays, etc. A week or so ago, maybe longer, we had a big spill
from the Blue Plains sewage treatment plant. Don't know if that's the
problem or if the crap is coming from somewhere else. It's bad news though.
Hope it doesn't affect your livelihood.
--
John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
JimH

wrote:

Fishing report for yesterday.

Rain, moderate winds, had to run with radar - boated 33 schoolies
before I called a halt to the festivities.

Yesterday's news reported a fish kill down south of you, off the NC coast
believe. Pictures showed many, many dead stripers, mixed with some smaller
fish, maybe croakers. Anything like that happening up your way?

No - but we're seeing a lot of "sick" fish - lesions and such.

We are seeing a large die off of freshwater drum (sheephead) here on the
western basin of Lake Erie. We first noticed it a couple of weeks ago when
we were out. I had first thought they were killed by fishermen (this is the
peak of the walleye season here) as the sheephead often take the bait. Most
fishermen kill them and throw them back for the gulls. The number of dead
fish was too large for that situation though.

http://www.ohiooutdoornews.com/artic...news/news1.txt

Sheephead are a useless fish and I am glad to see them go. The problem,
however, is the stench as they lie dead along the beaches. Lakefront
property owners are being told to bury them and cover them with lime.

JoeSpareBedroom

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Half the sources I've read say they're useless, and half say the taste is
totally bland, like haddock. As it turns out, you can use it as a substitute
for crab in crab cake recipes, and it's terrific.

Tim

JimH wrote:
Lakefront
property owners are being told to bury them and cover them with lime.

They need to call in a team of Norwegians, Sounds like Ludifisk, to
me....

JimH wrote:

Sheephead are a useless fish and I am glad to see them go. The problem,
however, is the stench as they lie dead along the beaches. Lakefront
property owners are being told to bury them and cover them with lime.

No such thing as useless in nature. Even the worst misfit serves a
purpose in the grand scheme of things.

Besides, here's an interesting comment about that very perception from
the article you linked:

"Let's face it, if people weren't educating others that these
fish are 'bad' then we wouldn't come away with that
perception," he said. "I've had kids on my boat and had them hook
into some nice drum that's bigger than the perch that's coming in.
If you're not beating the fish over the head and talking about how
bad it is, that kid will think he's caught a nice fish ... It is what
you make it."

If they are an easy fish for kids to catch, that's a big plus. The
author is right on with his observation. Back when I was a
pre-kindergarten kid I caught my first fish. I reeled that little
sucker in all by myself, and for a moment I was so proud and excited,
you would have thought I had won first place in a major tournament.
Almost immediately, I was made to feel as though I had done something
wrong by the adults on hand, "Oh, look. It's only a gawddam
bullhead....." Wonder if that's why I can take or leave fishing, even
to this day?
Probably not, really, but it could be a minor factor.

JimH

wrote in message
oups.com...

JimH wrote:

[...]

One can go an entire day of drift fishing in late Spring and not catch a
thing. If I am going to take kids out fishing it will be to a farm pond not
on Lake Erie. That experience is far more productive and will help
reinforce the idea to them that fishing is fun. A non productive fishing
day on a drifting boat will do the exact opposite for a kid.

As to the sheephead...........their only use is food for the gulls.

JohnH

wrote:

[...]

The posting of the crab cake recipe, made with the sheephead, would
definitely be *on topic* and appreciated.
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote:

m...

wrote:

[...]

I used one from McLane's Fish Encyclopedia. I'm sure that whatever recipe
you have would work just fine. But, here's the tricky part: If the recipe
says something like "2 cups chopped crab meat", you would change the words
"crab meat" to "whatever fish ya got around".

JimH

wrote:

[...]

Are you sure you are talking about the same fish as I am? I have never
heard of anyone eating freshwater sheephead.

Heads up, JohnH Doug Kanter General 0 February 15th 06 09:09 PM
Ping: JohnH JimH General 1 February 5th 06 09:49 PM
Ping, JohnH [email protected] General 3 January 20th 06 06:29 PM
Ping: JohnH Eisboch General 33 January 11th 06 07:25 PM