Tim Tim is offline

Default CG certified? What's it mean?

Seen a lot of boats usually 27+ ft. and cruiser type for sale and
there's lots of mention that the craft is "Coast Guard Certified" and
has some certification number. I've seen this mostly on salt water
craft, but also river and even lake boats.

What does it mean to have a CG certification? What is the benefit of
the Cert.? what case's is the cert. mamdatory?

ie what is it? and what does it do?

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:30:16 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

Seen a lot of boats usually 27+ ft. and cruiser type for sale and
there's lots of mention that the craft is "Coast Guard Certified" and
has some certification number. I've seen this mostly on salt water
craft, but also river and even lake boats.

What does it mean to have a CG certification? What is the benefit of
the Cert.? what case's is the cert. mamdatory?

ie what is it? and what does it do?

Maybe this will help.

http://www.nmma.org/certification/
Tim Tim is offline

On Feb 19, 5:55*am, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:30:16 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:
Seen a lot of boats usually 27+ ft. and cruiser type for sale and
there's lots of mention that the craft is "Coast Guard Certified" and
has some certification number. I've seen this mostly on salt water
craft, but also river and even lake boats.

What does it mean to have a CG certification? What is the benefit of
the Cert.? what case's is the cert. mamdatory?

ie what is it? and what does it do?

Are you confusing certification with documentation?

Many vessels that measure over 6 gross tons are Coast Guard Documented. Usually,
boats that qualify start at about 27 feet for sailboats. The gross tons are a
measure of volume, not the weight of the boat.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm

Yes, Id say that "documented" would be more correct.

now that i think of it, I've seen some that say "CG registered" , CG
certified" and CG docummented"
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

I've seen adverts where the rudder
was referred to as the keel.

Well, it is! isn't it???

?: ^)
Senior Member

On Feb 19, 3:58*pm, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 06:55:37 -0500, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:30:16 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

Seen a lot of boats usually 27+ ft. and cruiser type for sale and
there's lots of mention that the craft is "Coast Guard Certified" and
has some certification number. I've seen this mostly on salt water
craft, but also river and even lake boats.

What does it mean to have a CG certification? What is the benefit of
the Cert.? what case's is the cert. mamdatory?

ie what is it? and what does it do?

Are you confusing certification with documentation?

Many vessels that measure over 6 gross tons are Coast Guard Documented. Usually,
boats that qualify start at about 27 feet for sailboats. The gross tons are a
measure of volume, not the weight of the boat.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm

Totally true - I was helping out my dealer a couple of summers ago
when the shop was being renovated. *I took a phone call and the guy
asks how much a new rotating thing was.

I asked if he meant the prop.

He said no - it wasn't an airplane - it was a boat.- Hide quoted text -

Greenhorns, geeze...

My bud is a serious computer geek, he refers to himself as a propeller
head.. remember the little hats?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:40:24 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 06:55:37 -0500, penned the following
well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|Many vessels that measure over 6 gross tons are Coast Guard Documented. Usually,
|boats that qualify start at about 27 feet for sailboats. The gross tons are a
|measure of volume, not the weight of the boat.
|
|http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm

A vessel must measure at least five net tons and, in most instances,
owned by a citizen of the U.S.

It is, very roughly, a measure of volume, but the formula is so
screwey that even my 23 foot walk around cuddy is documentable.

The whole system needs to be revamped.

Seriously - I've had a Master's for a lot of years and even though
I've never, ever, been in command of a vessel rated 100 tons, I had a
100 ton license. The last time I renewed, I wanted it dropped to 25
tons and they wouldn't do it.

So I have a 100 ton license, near shore and a OUPV for inland good for
a 100 miles from shore - which makes no sense at all.

And I will never, ever use it. However, in theory, I'm qualified.

There are pros and cons on about the current system and I understand
why they do it they way they do, but for guys like me who run largely
outboard powered boats under 40 foot, what's the point?

I'd like to seem them initiate a Master's rating for guys like me.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 06:55:37 -0500, penned the following
well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|Many vessels that measure over 6 gross tons are Coast Guard Documented. Usually,
|boats that qualify start at about 27 feet for sailboats. The gross tons are a
|measure of volume, not the weight of the boat.
|
|http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm

A vessel must measure at least five net tons and, in most instances,
owned by a citizen of the U.S.

It is, very roughly, a measure of volume, but the formula is so
screwey that even my 23 foot walk around cuddy *is documentable.

The whole system needs to be revamped.

Seriously - I've had a Master's for a lot of years and even though
I've never, ever, been in command of a vessel rated 100 tons, I had a
100 ton license. *The last time I renewed, I wanted it dropped to 25
tons and they wouldn't do it.

So I have a 100 ton license, near shore and a OUPV for inland good for
a 100 miles from shore - which makes no sense at all.

And I will never, ever use it. *However, in theory, I'm qualified.

There are pros and cons on about the current system and I understand
why they do it they way they do, but for guys like me who run largely
outboard powered boats under 40 foot, what's the point?

I'd like to seem them initiate a Master's rating for guys like me

Well....that makes sense.