Short Wave Sportfishing Short Wave Sportfishing is offline

Default CG certified? What's it mean?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 06:55:37 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:30:16 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

Seen a lot of boats usually 27+ ft. and cruiser type for sale and
there's lots of mention that the craft is "Coast Guard Certified" and
has some certification number. I've seen this mostly on salt water
craft, but also river and even lake boats.

What does it mean to have a CG certification? What is the benefit of
the Cert.? what case's is the cert. mamdatory?

ie what is it? and what does it do?

Are you confusing certification with documentation?

Many vessels that measure over 6 gross tons are Coast Guard Documented. Usually,
boats that qualify start at about 27 feet for sailboats. The gross tons are a
measure of volume, not the weight of the boat.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm

Totally true - I was helping out my dealer a couple of summers ago
when the shop was being renovated. I took a phone call and the guy
asks how much a new rotating thing was.

I asked if he meant the prop.

He said no - it wasn't an airplane - it was a boat.